There are 128 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by aaronitout:
Once again, I would like to point out, that the Packers had the 2nd highest scoring offense in NFL history last year, and they were easily the most unbalanced offense in the league. They have added a RB coming off 3 straight 1000 yard seasons as well.
The NFL is different then 20 years ago...the run is no longer a must if you can effectively use the short pass to set up the rest of the passing game.

Stacking the box will effectively take away the 49ers key to victory (ball control) if Alex is forced into a duel with Aaron Rodgers, against the most oppurtunistic defense in the league no less, he will have to play at a level in which he has never played in the pros.

I guess you missed the Saints playoff game in the divisional round, understandable since you probably were still stunned by the ass whooping the Giants were putting on your elite QB. By the way, it will not be Smith vs. Rodgers, it will be Smith vs. the 31st ranked defense from last year and Rodgers against the best D in the league last year.

PWND
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
How will they stop our offense?? Please tell me. I like our special teams putting the pack in the precarious position of having to score from way out against our defense. I like our defense giving us short fields to start and our punishing running game and game breakers that you have to double in VD and to a lesser extent moss that forces a defense to pick their poison. At least we wont have to decide whether to load up on the run or the pass where as they will. It takes 8 in the box to have a chance vs our running game thus leaving Vernon single covered. No chance there bud. How will they stop our physical ground game and the freaks for 4 quarters with a suspect defense and unfavorable field position at all times??
Here's the thing though. As much as people like to bash the Packers defense. They actually weren't that bad in PPG and were right up there with SF for turnovers. The 49ers don't have any more of a chance at giving the offense short fields than the Packers do. That Packers secondary can give up big plays but they are very very good at taking it away. They've proven that for several years now. Look it up. Since like 2008 they've been near the top of the league in INTs. With all due respect, the 49ers offense wasn't a juggernaut last year. And hasn't been for quite some time. The Packers on offense have been a Top 10 scoring and yardage unit for 5 years in a row. One of only two teams in the NFL that have pulled that off.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
PWND

Not really. The 49ers were not the #1 ranked overall defense. You can't cherry pick things to make things go your way. You can't rank the 49ers defense by PPG and rank the Packers by yards. In PPG the Packers were #19 which is middle of the Pack. In turnovers they were tied for #1 with SF. The Packers defense has some flaws but people get carried away about how bad it is. They aren't a completely inept unit. We aren't talking about the 2008 Detroit Lions here. There is some talent on that Packers defense and they have playmakers that make their share of plays. They were just a fundamentally bad tackling unit last year. They gave up too many big plays. But make no mistake about it. That same defense also made quite a few game changing plays that unquestionably helped the 2011 Packers score the 2nd most points in NFL history. The Packers gave up a boat load of yards because they were ALWAYS playing with a lead. They never even trailed in a home game after halftime last year and averaged 41 PPG at home. Everybody hypes up the Saints offense in the Superdome but the Packers actually averaged more PPG at home than the Saints.
How will they stop our offense?? Please tell me. I like our special teams putting the pack in the precarious position of having to score from way out against our defense. I like our defense giving us short fields to start and our punishing running game and game breakers that you have to double in VD and to a lesser extent moss that forces a defense to pick their poison. At least we wont have to decide whether to load up on the run or the pass where as they will. It takes 8 in the box to have a chance vs our running game thus leaving Vernon single covered. No chance there bud. How will they stop our physical ground game and the freaks for 4 quarters with a suspect defense and unfavorable field position at all times??

I think you are overestimating the value of balance in today's NFL. Take a look at the last two Super Bowl winners. Neither could really run the ball worth a lick. The Giants were actually the #32 ranked rush offense in the NFL. Today's NFL is all about building a lethal passing game and building a lethal pass rush.

Why are the Packers going to have unfavorable field position "at all times"? The run-heavy teams were actually the ones that fared the worst against Green Bay last year. Its very much like Walsh used to say. The problem with trying to establish the run is that you will be behind by 3 scores by the time you do it.

I also think the Packers will be a little more balanced this year. I don't know if you realize this but the Packers actually picked up a RB that has more rushing yards than Frank Gore over the last 3 years. He looked pretty good in the Preseason and averaged over 6 YPC against the Bengals who were a Top 10 run defense last year. The Packers are moving to a one back system in which Rodgers can easily to check to a run if the defense is playing two deep safety. They can easily run or pass from that same formation. Its pretty easy to see that Cedric Benson is a HUGE upgrade over the other Packers RBs. Cedric Benson said after that game against Cincinatti he's never seen holes that big in his life. Its pretty scary having a powerful downhill runner behind the league MVP that is surrounded by a ridiculous WR/TE group.
Beat em by 30 and then burn Lambeau to the ground lmao
Originally posted by strat1080:

I think you are overestimating the value of balance in today's NFL. Take a look at the last two Super Bowl winners. Neither could really run the ball worth a lick. The Giants were actually the #32 ranked rush offense in the NFL. Today's NFL is all about building a lethal passing game and building a lethal pass rush.

Why are the Packers going to have unfavorable field position "at all times"? The run-heavy teams were actually the ones that fared the worst against Green Bay last year. Its very much like Walsh used to say. The problem with trying to establish the run is that you will be behind by 3 scores by the time you do it.

I also think the Packers will be a little more balanced this year. I don't know if you realize this but the Packers actually picked up a RB that has more rushing yards than Frank Gore over the last 3 years. He looked pretty good in the Preseason and averaged over 6 YPC against the Bengals who were a Top 10 run defense last year. The Packers are moving to a one back system in which Rodgers can easily to check to a run if the defense is playing two deep safety. They can easily run or pass from that same formation. Its pretty easy to see that Cedric Benson is a HUGE upgrade over the other Packers RBs. Cedric Benson said after that game against Cincinatti he's never seen holes that big in his life. Its pretty scary having a powerful downhill runner behind the league MVP that is surrounded by a ridiculous WR/TE group.

OK Pack fan, U speak of balance offensively, but no offense, even the Saints can be a balanced unit vs our defense. Each and every team to face us including teams with elite running backs give up on the run and become pass heavy or unbalanced as some like to say. To beat us, GB will have to pass the ball 50 to 60 times and do so without error or turnover or fumble. Cedric Benson we faced last year and held him under 4yds per carry. We stuff every rushing attack en route to the passer without ever having to stack the box. This allows our DBs to completely immerse themselves in pass defense not having to worry about leakage up front. A passing team is what we want and we give up yards but not points while forcing a very high amount of turnovers on error and on downs. Then to cap things off, our ST is the league's best so when you have an elite defense and ST, you win the field position battle decidedly.

As for us being run heavy, that is what we do but this year we have playmakers at WR (not as good as yours) and at TE(VD and Walker are better than yours) to force teams to cover them so they can't stack the box to slow down Frank and Kendall. A defense like ours could stop the run with less than 8 in the box but one like yours simply cannot so you will be faced with a quandary stack up or get smacked up. And Benson had a lot of yardage over the years but he appeared to have stayed healthier than Gore with a lot more attempts with less than 4ypc whereas Frank has been a 5ypc RB most of his career. And you have 1 quality RB as to us having a stable along with a better run blocking OL and TEs that block better than anyone. You will not stuff our run and get us off the field without loading up and even then we will make plays in space. The Pack defense just can't cut it and we won't turn it over because we don't make ill advised gunslinging throws. This game will be more likely a battle of attrition and I like our chances.

And you quote the great Bill Walsh which every packer fan should since Holmgren but I was around when the Dallas Cowboys beat us when we had basically the same team GB had and Dallas had a team similar to ours. The sentiment around here was that DAL would not stop our offense and that we were too explosive, well it turned out to be the other way around. We could not score all those TDs we dreamed of because Emmitt and DAL OL was dominating us all game and when we overcommitted Irvin and Novacek were gashing us. They beat us in the trenches for 2 years straight OL and DL until we bought the Super Bowl in 94. We plan on doing the same thing to GB this year.
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Sep 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM ]

I will say again, I understand the Pack being the favorite and that is on par with today's NFL but we were a couple ST miscues and us not running the ball in the 2nd half of the NFC championship of reminding that defense and running the football still has a place in the game. Imagine SFO vs BAL last year. Now that would be real football unlike this hands off don't touch the QB or WR so that we can put up ridiculous stats to challenge the all time greats so as to get higher ratings and tv revenue BS.

Didn't mean to rant, but don't be surprised if we win because I won't be surprised if a motivated Pack squad comes out and flattens us for some of the reasons you stated but you seriously need to consider the possibility that some of what we are saying is right also.
It is a collision course of contrasting styles coming to a theatre soon near you kid.
Here's the thing though. As much as people like to bash the Packers defense. They actually weren't that bad in PPG and were right up there with SF for turnovers. The 49ers don't have any more of a chance at giving the offense short fields than the Packers do. That Packers secondary can give up big plays but they are very very good at taking it away. They've proven that for several years now. Look it up. Since like 2008 they've been near the top of the league in INTs. With all due respect, the 49ers offense wasn't a juggernaut last year. And hasn't been for quite some time. The Packers on offense have been a Top 10 scoring and yardage unit for 5 years in a row. One of only two teams in the NFL that have pulled that off.

We are more careful with the football than the pack and our defense and ST will give us better field position than yours. The secondary won't take the ball away from our RBs just hope that they can tackle. And that other offense, the Saints, the one with a body of work since Brees arrival in 2006 that had been the league's most prolific. Ask them about how we forced Brees to throw more than 60 times trying to beat this defense despite them having a top 5 rushing attack. They gave up on the run and they tried to pass yet failed. And you think Cedric Benson is gonna do better? Stats aren't everything, but I would take NO offense anyday over GB. GB has had a nice couple years but they have not done what Brees has done since 2006
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Sep 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM ]
Dont Call em Greenbay they are now the greengay packersssssssssssssssss! we will beat the green gay packers!

OK Pack fan, U speak of balance offensively, but no offense, even the Saints can be a balanced unit vs our defense. Each and every team to face us including teams with elite running backs give up on the run and become pass heavy or unbalanced as some like to say. To beat us, GB will have to pass the ball 50 to 60 times and do so without error or turnover or fumble. Cedric Benson we faced last year and held him under 4yds per carry. We stuff every rushing attack en route to the passer without ever having to stack the box. This allows our DBs to completely immerse themselves in pass defense not having to worry about leakage up front. A passing team is what we want and we give up yards but not points while forcing a very high amount of turnovers on error and on downs. Then to cap things off, our ST is the league's best so when you have an elite defense and ST, you win the field position battle decidedly.

As for us being run heavy, that is what we do but this year we have playmakers at WR (not as good as yours) and at TE(VD and Walker are better than yours) to force teams to cover them so they can't stack the box to slow down Frank and Kendall. A defense like ours could stop the run with less than 8 in the box but one like yours simply cannot so you will be faced with a quandary stack up or get smacked up. And Benson had a lot of yardage over the years but he appeared to have stayed healthier than Gore with a lot more attempts with less than 4ypc whereas Frank has been a 5ypc RB most of his career. And you have 1 quality RB as to us having a stable along with a better run blocking OL and TEs that block better than anyone. You will not stuff our run and get us off the field without loading up and even then we will make plays in space. The Pack defense just can't cut it and we won't turn it over because we don't make ill advised gunslinging throws. This game will be more likely a battle of attrition and I like our chances.

And you quote the great Bill Walsh which every packer fan should since Holmgren but I was around when the Dallas Cowboys beat us when we had basically the same team GB had and Dallas had a team similar to ours. The sentiment around here was that DAL would not stop our offense and that we were too explosive, well it turned out to be the other way around. We could not score all those TDs we dreamed of because Emmitt and DAL OL was dominating us all game and when we overcommitted Irvin and Novacek were gashing us. They beat us in the trenches for 2 years straight OL and DL until we bought the Super Bowl in 94. We plan on doing the same thing to GB this year.
Originally posted by aaronitout:
Once again, I would like to point out, that the Packers had the 2nd highest scoring offense in NFL history last year, and they were easily the most unbalanced offense in the league. They have added a RB coming off 3 straight 1000 yard seasons as well.
The NFL is different then 20 years ago...the run is no longer a must if you can effectively use the short pass to set up the rest of the passing game.

Stacking the box will effectively take away the 49ers key to victory (ball control) if Alex is forced into a duel with Aaron Rodgers, against the most oppurtunistic defense in the league no less, he will have to play at a level in which he has never played in the pros.

I guess you missed the Saints playoff game in the divisional round, understandable since you probably were still stunned by the ass whooping the Giants were putting on your elite QB. By the way, it will not be Smith vs. Rodgers, it will be Smith vs. the 31st ranked defense from last year and Rodgers against the best D in the league last year.
32nd ranked D
Predicting Stat Lines:

Alex Smith 15-15 459 yards 6 TDs
Frank Gore 15 carries 145 yards 3 TDs
Kendall Hunter 10 carries 88 yards 2 TDs, 1 FG
Michael Crabtree 6 catches 180 yards 2 TDs
VD 4 catches 154 yards 1 TD
RANDY 2 catches 200 yards 2TDs, 2 full moons for the packer fans
AJJ 3 catches 69 yards 1 TD

BOOK IT
lol that would be a score of 122 haha
Didn't you know he was exaggerating when he said that Alex Smith would have 15 attempts?
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Sep 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM ]
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Predicting Stat Lines:

Alex Smith 15-15 459 yards 6 TDs
Frank Gore 15 carries 145 yards 3 TDs
Kendall Hunter 10 carries 88 yards 2 TDs, 1 FG
Michael Crabtree 6 catches 180 yards 2 TDs
VD 4 catches 154 yards 1 TD
RANDY 2 catches 200 yards 2TDs, 2 full moons for the packer fans
AJJ 3 catches 69 yards 1 TD

BOOK IT

lol at Hunter w/ 1 fg, thats awesome

So many variables to consider, but I like your thinking.

Do you think the death of Joe Philbins son the week of the game had something to do with Gb laying an egg? It couldn't have helped IMO.

And come on, the packers YPG allowed is warped as they were ahead big in nearly every game. Teams were in pass mode the entire game. I'm not saying they're a great D or even good but they are opportunistic and will create turnovers. Considering our offense biggest claim to fame was avoiding turnovers last year, we either match up well or not depending on how you look at it.

I do think we were the best defense in the league however I think they were the best offense. We are vulnerable through the air versus elite QBs, their offense vulnerable to physical smash mouth defenses.

This game should be a real treat.
Share 49ersWebzone