There are 217 users in the forums

Editorialist Florio on Manning and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by susweel:
Niners wanted Manning but he said NO so we moved on and brought back Alex.

end of story

This

Out of all the posts... This holds the most truth

Why?

Because you didn't read any other ones?

Because the whole contract thing doesnt solidify anything.

No team offered contracts technically, tenn and den threw out numbers and front office jobs desperately

9ers did not take their name out of the hat of finalist.

Alex had a contract on the table before the Manning fiasco started, so that alone makes susweel's post wrong right there.

Secondly, I'll repeat in case you missed it. While technically no contracts were offered, perameters were discussed.

Answer this question......because all others are irrelevant:

Do you think the 49ers would have given Manning a 90+ million dollar contract? Better yet, 40 million guaranteed?

The answer is no. So in all likelihood the 49ers were never an option for Manning, despite whatever bulls**t the media was throwing at you. And finally you would believe Harbaugh to be a liar because he said as much.

end of story

This

Why?

No team offered contracts technically, tenn and den threw out numbers and front office jobs desperately

Alex had a contract on the table before the Manning fiasco started, so that alone makes susweel's post wrong right there.

Secondly, I'll repeat in case you missed it. While technically no contracts were offered, perameters were discussed.

Do you think the 49ers would have given Manning a 90+ million dollar contract? Better yet, 40 million guaranteed?

The answer is no. So in all likelihood the 49ers were never an option for Manning, despite whatever bulls**t the media was throwing at you. And finally you would believe Harbaugh to be a liar because he said as much.

No we wouldn't pay 90 million. Because we have some bad ass people like Balke and paraage in our front office.. Hello !
The Niners, for the first time in a long time, are a newsworthy topic. Florio is just trying to get attention by positing this theory and who's to say he's wrong really. The only people who really know what went down there are Manning, Harbaugh, and Baalke most likely. And they certainly aren't talking.
No we wouldn't pay 90 million. Because we have some bad ass people like Balke and paraage in our front office.. Hello !

Lol.
I believe some people don't understand the difference between the "interest", "evaluation", and "pursuit" processes. They are three very different things. Obviously they had "interest" in Manning. That's why they "evaluated" him. Within the "evaluation" process includes: health, ability, Mannings wants (type of team, role, base contract, guaranteed money). If everything fits into Baalke and Harbaugh's plans then they move forward to the "pursuit" - offering of a contract and wooing. As there has NEVER been a report stating they offered him a contract (but we know for a fact there was an offer on the table for Smith that was never retracted) then I tend to believe that they decided that Manning was not the best option going forward for the team as a whole. Thus no "pursuit" as stated by both Harbaugh and Roman.

Think of it this way. To sign Manning we would have let Rogers, Brooks and Goldson walk. They also probably don't bring in Manningham and/or Jacobs (Moss is cheap so would have probably still been signed). Do we really want to lose 3 starters on our best side of the ball? Sorry but I believe Baalke and Harbaugh want continued success not just one superbowl and back to rebuild mode. Just my 2 cents.
[ Edited by kenger04 on Aug 25, 2012 at 10:17 AM ]
Originally posted by kenger04:
I believe some people don't understand the difference between the "interest", "evaluation", and "pursuit" processes. They are three very different things. Obviously they had "interest" in Manning. That's why they "evaluated" him. Within the "evaluation" process includes: health, ability, Mannings wants (type of team, role, base contract, guaranteed money). If everything fits into Baalke and Harbaugh's plans then they move forward to the "pursuit" - offering of a contract and wooing. As there has NEVER been a report stating they offered him a contract (but we know for a fact there was an offer on the table for Smith that was never retracted) then I tend to believe that they decided that Manning was not the best option going forward for the team as a whole. Thus no "pursuit" as stated by both Harbaugh and Roman.

Think of it this way. To sign Manning we would have let Rogers, Brooks and Goldson walk. They also probably don't bring in Manningham and/or Jacobs (Moss is cheap so would have probably still been signed). Do we really want to lose 3 starters on our best side of the ball? Sorry but I believe Baalke and Harbaugh want continued success not just one superbowl and back to rebuild mode. Just my 2 cents.

Excellent post and spot on.

Too bad some posters won't get it, because it doesn't fit what they want to believe: that there was actually a possibility that Manning would have taken Smith's spot on the roster, despite the repercussions.

This.

I for one am pretty satisfied with the status quo. Sure I was excited about having Manning potentially joining the team considering how close we came to the Super Bowl last year, but it would have mortgaged the future for basically a one or two year window with a guy who could conceivably be gone in one play.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:

This.

I for one am pretty satisfied with the status quo. Sure I was excited about having Manning potentially joining the team considering how close we came to the Super Bowl last year, but it would have mortgaged the future for basically a one or two year window with a guy who could conceivably be gone in one play.

I think he meant we would have got Manning for half the price Denver got him for, because we have a bad ass FO. I'm pretty sure he was joking, at least I hope he was.
Manning didn't come here for 1 reason: He didn't want to have to learn a new offense. It was easy for Denver to let Manning bring his Indianapolis offense to Denver, last year under Tebow they basically ran a college offense. No way Harbaugh and Roman were going to scrap our play book for 1 guy.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

end of story

This

Why?

well Peyton wasn't a free agent when they offered Alex a contract and when Peyton become an option they moved all their attention to Peyton and Alex was left visiting Miami beach who didn't want him either.

well Peyton wasn't a free agent when they offered Alex a contract and when Peyton become an option they moved all their attention to Peyton and Alex was left visiting Miami beach who didn't want him either.

You just keep throwing crap out there to suit your anti-Alex agenda. It's beyond transparent.

If what you said was true they would've retracted their offer to Alex, which they did not do. They "evaluated" Peyton, they didn't focus all their attention on him, ala broncos and titans. That's a bunch of bulls**t, not sure where you came up with that.

And how exactly do you know that Miami didn't want him? He was a damn sight better than any option they had at the time.

The time is coming where you are going to be completely out of ammunition. It's fun seeing you cling to this crap.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

You just keep throwing crap out there to suit your anti-Alex agenda. It's beyond transparent.

If what you said was true they would've retracted their offer to Alex, which they did not do. They "evaluated" Peyton, they didn't focus all their attention on him, ala broncos and titans. That's a bunch of bulls**t, not sure where you came up with that.

And how exactly do you know that Miami didn't want him? He was a damn sight better than any option they had at the time.

The time is coming where you are going to be completely out of ammunition. It's fun seeing you cling to this crap.

Hey dont get mad at me because 31 other GMs had no interest in Alex. Niners were ready to give Peyton whatever he wanted and were waiting for his decision. If they weren't then they could have said we have no interest Peyton and Alex is our guy. But that didnt happen they left alex twisting in the wind while they wined and dined Peyton.
Hey dont get mad at me because 31 other GMs had no interest in Alex. Niners were ready to give Peyton whatever he wanted and were waiting for his decision. If they weren't then they could have said we have no interest Peyton and Alex is our guy. But that didnt happen they left alex twisting in the wind while they wined and dined Peyton.

We were going to give Peyton whatever he wanted? Ya ok .We wined and dined him? He didn't even come out here once. You obviously haven't been paying attention to what Baalke has done.

I've said my bit in this thread, and then some. I'm done.

I'll leave you with this:

Alex Smith is the qb for the 49ers. Peyton Manning is not.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Aug 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

We were going to give Peyton whatever he wanted? Ya ok . You obviously haven't been paying attention to what Baalke has done.

I've said my bit in this thread, and then some. I'm done.

I'll leave you with this:

Alex Smith is the qb for the 49ers. Peyton Manning is not.

Well no s**t Sherlock. As I said before after Manning rejected the niners they gave Alex a contract (a measly one by NFL QB standards) and he came back.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
I don't know why anyone other than Alex would have a problem with what Harbaugh did. Do I think Harbaugh is now stretching the truth. Yes. Do I have an issue with it. No. He's trying to bring in the best players at every position. If you have a problem with this, I guess you have a problem with Steve Young and want us to give back the fifth ring.
Share 49ersWebzone