• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Florio can eat a bag

QFT
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by dmatt:
I don't know why anyone other than Alex would have a problem with what Harbaugh did. Do I think Harbaugh is now stretching the truth. Yes. Do I have an issue with it. No. He's trying to bring in the best players at every position. If you have a problem with this, I guess you have a problem with Steve Young and want us to give back the fifth ring.

I agree with this.

harbaugh is a cold blooded calculated dude, he would do whatever it takes to win.
People seem to forget that there was an offer on the table for Alex that he hadn't signed. He was playing a little hardball, and we all know by now that doesn't fly with Baalke, who isn't going to bust open the cap for one player more than he feels he's worth.

So in due course, they were looking at Manning in the case that Alex would not accept the terms of the offer, which he eventually did. It's really not any more complicated than that.
Originally posted by susweel:
Well no s**t Sherlock. As I said before after Manning rejected the niners they gave Alex a contract (a measly one by NFL QB standards) and he came back.

I think this dude may be Skip Bayless undercover. Contradictory for the sake of being contradictory. Hope you're having fun dude.
Well no s**t Sherlock. As I said before after Manning rejected the niners they gave Alex a contract (a measly one by NFL QB standards) and he came back.

And you would be wrong. But that's nothing new.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
People seem to forget that there was an offer on the table for Alex that he hadn't signed. He was playing a little hardball, and we all know by now that doesn't fly with Baalke, who isn't going to bust open the cap for one player more than he feels he's worth.

So in due course, they were looking at Manning in the case that Alex would not accept the terms of the offer, which he eventually did. It's really not any more complicated than that.

Correct.

Susweel doesn't believe you, but at this point who cares.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
I think this dude may be Skip Bayless undercover. Contradictory for the sake of being contradictory. Hope you're having fun dude.

not having fun but thats way I believe things went down.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

you cant prove that you are right, only Baalke, Harbaugh and Manning know the truth.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:

you cant prove that you are right, only Baalke, Harbaugh and Manning know the truth.

Talking to you is like talking to a box of rocks. It is a fact there was a contract on the table for Alex BEFORE the whole Manning thing came about. Whether you believe it or not, that's the truth. They were talking to Manning as an insurance policy, that's it.
Hey dont get mad at me because 31 other GMs had no interest in Alex. Niners were ready to give Peyton whatever he wanted and were waiting for his decision. If they weren't then they could have said we have no interest Peyton and Alex is our guy. But that didnt happen they left alex twisting in the wind while they wined and dined Peyton.

We were going to give Peyton whatever he wanted? Ya ok . You obviously haven't been paying attention to what Baalke has done.

I've said my bit in this thread, and then some. I'm done.

I'll leave you with this:

Alex Smith is the qb for the 49ers. Peyton Manning is not.

9ers did not take their name out of the hat of finalist.

/thread

The thing is, the facts fit what we're saying alot more than what you are. Alex was given an offer to return very quickly after the season, but he hadn't signed it because he was trying to negotiate for more money. He eventually signed the offer.

There is literally no proof that Manning was ever given an offer by the 49ers that he said no to, because he wasn't lol.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
The thing is, the facts fit what we're saying alot more than what you are. Alex was given an offer to return very quickly after the season, but he hadn't signed it because he was trying to negotiate for more money. He eventually signed the offer.

There is literally no proof that Manning was ever given an offer by the 49ers that he said no to, because he wasn't lol.

and where is the proof that they absolutely didn't offer him a contract ?

Were they gonna call or text you before they offered him a contract ?
Alex had a contract on the table before the Manning fiasco started, so that alone makes susweel's post wrong right there.

Secondly, I'll repeat in case you missed it. While technically no contracts were offered, perameters were discussed.

Answer this question......because all others are irrelevant:

Do you think the 49ers would have given Manning a 90+ million dollar contract? Better yet, 40 million guaranteed?

The answer is no. So in all likelihood the 49ers were never an option for Manning, despite whatever bulls**t the media was throwing at you. And finally you would believe Harbaugh to be a liar because he said as much.

Actually he was an option for the 49ers, because Manning said so lol. he said he called coach harbaugh to inform him he wouldn't be singing here right before he chose denver.
Niners wanted Manning but he said NO so we moved on and brought back Alex.

end of story
This
I thought it was funny that Harbaugh tried claiming the Niners were never seriously after Manning and only "evaluating" him. Despite the fact that Harbaugh and Baalke jumped on a plane to go watch Manning workout in secret on the first day of free agency. Harbaugh had already admitted that Manning called him to let him know that Manning was picking the Broncos as his new team.

Why would Manning call the Niners to let them know he was choosing Denver (Which Harbaugh admits happened) if they were not serious about signing him? We all know what happened here. The Niners saw an opportunity to upgrade the qb position but the player they wanted decided to sign with another team. Big mistake by Manning in my opinion.

Harbaugh was simply trying to defend Alex against players from other teams that were trashing him on social media sites as being lucky that Manning didn't want his job. Harbaugh loves blowing smoke at the media so his ridiculous comments should surprise nobody.

Lastly, as with other industries if you want to know the real truth just follow the money. The Niners had just finished 13-3 and came within a punt return fumble of reaching the Superbowl. Yet the Niners offer to Alex included no signing bonus and few guarantees. It was only after Manning decided on Denver that the Niners agreed to gurantee the first yr of Alex's contract. It's also important to point out his salary ranks him somewhere around 18th in salary out of 32 starting qbs. So not exactly the kind of contract given to a qb that a team feels will be it's starter for several years to come.

The Niners gave Alex a modest contract that allows them to easily release him after the 2012 season. They were not ready to commit to him beyond the 2012 season. This reflects his on field performance and not the smoke blowing Harbaugh does at the media.
Such old news and it's pathetic for any of us to keep talking about it. This is very simple...

- If you are an Alex hater/detractor/etc. then you choose to believe that the Niners heavily pursued Peyton... because you need to believe this as if it is some proof that Alex iz teh suxxorz and the F/O wanted to give Alex the boot.

- If you are an Alex lover/supporter/etc. then you choose to believe that the Niners gave Peyton the courtesy of an evaluation... and believe Greg Roman's recent words that "their interest was not piqued" after the evaluation. That no contract was offered, and that the Niners allowed their level of disinterest to be hidden to help boost the offers from Tennessee and Denver.

It's just that simple. This thread is crap... the people in it transparent and redundant.
Share 49ersWebzone