LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Editorialist Florio on Manning and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Mike Florio is not a reporter; he is an editorialist, meaning he only provides his personal opinion, regardless of the truth.

In a recent article, Florio try to foment dissent by resurrecting the off season discussions between the 49ers and Peyton Manning. He all but says JH and GR lied when recently stating they were just evaluating Manning. He wants to make the point that the 49ers failed in their efforts to sign Manning, and that somehow this represents a black mark on the team, front office and coaching staff.

"We understand why Harbaugh wouldn't want to talk about Manning. The 49ers tried to get him. They failed. And they'd prefer that the rest of us not remind them of it."

However, the 49ers never offered Manning a contract; that is a fact. Nobody has yet disputed that fact. If the team really wanted Manning they would have offered him a contract. If a contract had been offered then media would have published it everywhere.

Occam's Razor says the simplest solution is probably the right one. In this case, the simplest thing is to believe what JH and GR said to be true; that they were evaluating Manning and decided not to pursue him.

Florio is just using his position to foment dissent... he is a bad sports reporter because, like O'Reilly of FOX News, he only gives his own opinion... truth be d*mned!
never heard of him before.
I know I'm a biased 49ers fan, but I really don't think we were pushing for Manning like the media seems to think we were doing. Obviously, Harbaugh and co. went and evaluated Manning, probably for more than one day, but I agree with what you said. I highly doubt a contract was ever involved.

So far, Baalke has been a hell of a GM. Baalke's not dumb. He knew the contract demands Manning would have. And if Manning wasn't in 2006 form, no way in hell would he risk everything he's built so far to sign Manning. If Manning had been signed, we wouldn't be in position to resign many players, including Bowman, Goldson, Crabtree, etc. Baalke builds through the draft.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Niners wanted Manning but he said NO so we moved on and brought back Alex.

end of story
I don't believe the 49ers even once admitted they were pursuing him while it was going on. The media did it for them. The Broncos and Titans fully admitted they were interested.

I believe this. The 49ers exercised due diligence and researched the possibilities because in fact they did not have a starting QB under contract.

Everything else is pure speculation.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Obviously the niners were not satisfied with the QB play and thats even after the great 4th quarter by Alex against the Saints. So they went out and tried to upgrade the position but Manning chose the broncos.
Originally posted by susweel:
Obviously the niners were not satisfied with the QB play and thats even after the great 4th quarter by Alex against the Saints. So they went out and tried to upgrade the position but Manning chose the broncos.

They had no QB under contract. Manning was a free agent.

Don't claim that Harbaugh agrees with your assessment of Alex Smith. Because that would be false.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by susweel:

Don't claim that Harbaugh agrees with your assessment of Alex Smith. Because that would be false.

Sounds dead on to me.

They might have hoped talking to Manning (and getting caught) would cause Alex to hurry and sign the deal they had offered. It didn't end up happening that way, but that could have been part of the intent behind the move.

Florio can eat a bag

Originally posted by WRATHman44:

They might have hoped talking to Manning (and getting caught) would cause Alex to hurry and sign the deal they had offered. It didn't end up happening that way, but that could have been part of the intent behind the move.

Very possible.

Ask yourselves this.

Do you think the 49ers were planning on giving Manning a 90 million dollar contract with 40 guaranteed?

That should tell you all you need to know about the niners perceived "interest" in Peyton Manning.

The perceived interest was probably 80-90% media generated.
I don't believe the 49ers even once admitted they were pursuing him while it was going on. The media did it for them. The Broncos and Titans fully admitted they were interested.

I believe this. The 49ers exercised due diligence and researched the possibilities because in fact they did not have a starting QB under contract.

Everything else is pure speculation.

Well that's a boring story, but closest to the truth.
My pure speculation is that that te 49ers were very interested and then heard what the broncos were offering and were like
Well.. The 49ers can't afford to pay him for near 20 millions a year? The 49ers alway pay 10 to 14 millions for limit a year! it's my opionio!
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

I have thought about this, but honestly do harbaugh and baalke seem like these types of schemers, i think they were interested and for one reason or anoter it didnt work out i have no clue as to why, but i dont think they would use it as a ploy to hurry and get Alex to sign on the dotted line, Harbaugh to me does not seem like a coach that would employ the tactic you stated, again i have no clue of any inner workings, its just my opinion of the situation.
Share 49ersWebzone