There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Editorialist Florio on Manning and the 49ers

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by susweel:
Niners wanted Manning but he said NO so we moved on and brought back Alex.

end of story

This

Out of all the posts... This holds the most truth
The not offering the contract is key. Manning could (and should) have been interested in playing for a team so close to dominance. And reflecting that in his contract.

He wasn't. He made it clear he expected to be paid. I mean, PAID. A lot of us at the time thought he would pay for peanuts to get another ring or two. But he doesn't care about rings. He wants money and control. So we don't pursue.

Storm in a teacup.
Originally posted by English:
The not offering the contract is key. Manning could (and should) have been interested in playing for a team so close to dominance. And reflecting that in his contract.

He wasn't. He made it clear he expected to be paid. I mean, PAID. A lot of us at the time thought he would pay for peanuts to get another ring or two. But he doesn't care about rings. He wants money and control. So we don't pursue.

Storm in a teacup.

If that were the case the the 9ers wouldn't have been a finalist for his decision Monday , and we would have been ousted like the cardinals
The facts are that Manning seriously entertained 3 teams, Broncos, Titans, and the 49ers. Before he chose the Broncos he called the Titans and 49ers that he would not be signing with them.

I don't know why some of you are so stuck on the fact that we never officially "offered him a contract", it's evident that he was close to coming here. The amount of niner bias in this thread is kinda nauseating lol
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 25, 2012 at 4:10 AM ]
Originally posted by longtime49erfan
Florio is just using his position to foment dissent... he is a bad sports reporter because, like O'Reilly of FOX News, he only gives his own opinion... truth be d*mned!

Right. Welcome to the new era of "journalism."

The days of the sage old editorial writer that worked himself up from the cub spot and eventually spanned a generation giving grandfatherly advice is long gone. These days being brash, young, and easy on the eye sells page views and what little is left of copy. Worse, our preoccupation with stats, care of Fantasy Football, further erodes that now lost bigger picture. Guts, a blue collar desire to win, pride, they're immeasurable stats and subsequently useless.

It's all about dollars and stats these days. And you're right, we're missing the bigger picture.

PS: I'd go easy with your use of "fomenting dissent." That's a seriously loaded political term, and it hearkens back to a time when "political correctness" wasn't a moron's excuse for being a moron or a slur who's origin nobody seems to remember, but something that could get you killed.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Aug 25, 2012 at 5:39 AM ]
Florio hates Harbaugh, that much is pretty obvious. Every JH related article I've read by Florio is full of snarky remarks.
Done & over - Move on already!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

agree
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

end of story

This

Why?

Because you didn't read any other ones?
You don't let your FA QB walk into another teams facility unless you are serious in the manning sweepstakes
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

agree

yeah! Move on already and done! we will be too strong our team.. Go 49ers Go!!
Originally posted by Janitor:
Florio hates Harbaugh, that much is pretty obvious. Every JH related article I've read by Florio is full of snarky remarks.

He likes Harbaugh as a coach he just hates how Harbaugh interacts with the media.

Which I can understand from the media's point of view but Harbaugh's here to win football games and not be a celeb or media darling like some other coaches we've had *cough* Nolan *cough*. So in other words as long as he's winning who cares if the media loves or hates him.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

end of story

This

Why?

Because you didn't read any other ones?

Because the whole contract thing doesnt solidify anything.

No team offered contracts technically, tenn and den threw out numbers and front office jobs desperately

9ers did not take their name out of the hat of finalist.
The Manning camp reached out to the 49ers per Matt Barrows.

The 49ers then dispatched Harbaugh and Roman to North Carolina on the first day of free agency, when everybody is looking the other way. This was the Tuesday before Manning made his decision. The 49ers involvement was kept under wraps for three full days afterwards, an eternity when it comes to NFL news.

Meanwhile Bud Adams was on his knees ready to blow Manning and Elway was putting on his own full court press.

Obviously the 49ers had interest, otherwise why go look. But I don't think the mutual interest was ever very strong . . . and I'm sure deal parameters were discussed but I don't think the team ever made Manning any kind of real offer. In the end the 49ers probably didn't kiss his a.s.s. enough.
Wouldn't you at least kick the tires? It truly doesn't matter to them now and that's what matters to them. Coach and Alex have re-bounded and are engaged in winning our sixth. All the "hype" and "diatribe" is for all the "dang gum yahoos!"

I read info, look at behavior on all available media and sit calmly on my comfy couch, drinking my beer. In the midst of this mindset, I think to myself, "What a wonderful world."