There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Editorialist Florio on Manning and the 49ers

Originally posted by susweel:
Niners wanted Manning but he said NO so we moved on and brought back Alex.

end of story

Alex leads the Niners to a SB win.....

better end to story....
Harbaalke would've never entertained paying Manning even a fraction of what the Broncos doled out for him. I believe them when they say they were just evaluating him, knowing probably full well he was looking for a payday they would never provide.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Harbaalke would've never entertained paying Manning even a fraction of what the Broncos doled out for him. I believe them when they say they were just evaluating him, knowing probably full well he was looking for a payday they would never provide.

Boom.

I'm not sure if Florio is one of them, but trust me there are ALOT of people who do not want to relive another 49er dynasty. And they can see it coming. So they want to get their licks in while they can, unsubstantiated or otherwise.

One would have to look pretty hard to find any fault in anything Harbaugh or Baalke has done during their tenure.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Aug 24, 2012 at 6:55 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Niners wanted Manning but he said NO so we moved on and brought back Alex.

end of story

This
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
I believe in Balke and Harbaugh. Everything else is irrelevant.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Aug 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM ]
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Aug 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM ]
Damnitt I thought that said Manningham...F&*k Petyon
If smith signs the 3yrs 24mill, harbs doesn't give manning a look. Since smith had the year he had & almost gets us to the SB, he thinks he should have got a better/longer contact. That situation was cause of smith's ego. Jus my 2 cents.
Am I the only one who had to look up 'foment'?
Originally posted by calinig4life:
If smith signs the 3yrs 24mill, harbs doesn't give manning a look. Since smith had the year he had & almost gets us to the SB, he thinks he should have got a better/longer contact. That situation was cause of smith's ego. Jus my 2 cents.

True, which makes susweel's post invalid.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
My theory is that the 49ers evaluated Manning fully knowing the media would blow it out of proportion and send shockwaves to the Broncos and Titans (and perhaps the Cards?) in order to drive up Peyton's price. This ultimately helps out Peyton as well as his agent who also happens to be Alex's agent. In exchange, the 49ers get Alex at a reasonable rate, while the rapport with Tom Condon remains strong. All Harbaugh needed to do in the aftermath was answer questions regarding their interest, and because there wasn't any to begin with, the joke is on the media (and perhaps the Broncos if Manning never returns to form).
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Mike Florio is not a reporter; he is an editorialist, meaning he only provides his personal opinion, regardless of the truth.

In a recent article, Florio try to foment dissent by resurrecting the off season discussions between the 49ers and Peyton Manning. He all but says JH and GR lied when recently stating they were just evaluating Manning. He wants to make the point that the 49ers failed in their efforts to sign Manning, and that somehow this represents a black mark on the team, front office and coaching staff.

"We understand why Harbaugh wouldn't want to talk about Manning. The 49ers tried to get him. They failed. And they'd prefer that the rest of us not remind them of it."

However, the 49ers never offered Manning a contract; that is a fact. Nobody has yet disputed that fact. If the team really wanted Manning they would have offered him a contract. If a contract had been offered then media would have published it everywhere.

Occam's Razor says the simplest solution is probably the right one. In this case, the simplest thing is to believe what JH and GR said to be true; that they were evaluating Manning and decided not to pursue him.

Florio is just using his position to foment dissent... he is a bad sports reporter because, like O'Reilly of FOX News, he only gives his own opinion... truth be d*mned!

Occam's Razor? Are you a freshman in college or something...lol
The 49ers had offered a new contract to Alex.. When he didn't sign right away, they took a look at Manning to cover their bases. No way they would give him the money that Denver did..

End of story..

Florio is a paid to have opinions and express them, even if they are based on speculation.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Mike Florio is not a reporter; he is an editorialist, meaning he only provides his personal opinion, regardless of the truth.

In a recent article, Florio try to foment dissent by resurrecting the off season discussions between the 49ers and Peyton Manning. He all but says JH and GR lied when recently stating they were just evaluating Manning. He wants to make the point that the 49ers failed in their efforts to sign Manning, and that somehow this represents a black mark on the team, front office and coaching staff.

"We understand why Harbaugh wouldn't want to talk about Manning. The 49ers tried to get him. They failed. And they'd prefer that the rest of us not remind them of it."

However, the 49ers never offered Manning a contract; that is a fact. Nobody has yet disputed that fact. If the team really wanted Manning they would have offered him a contract. If a contract had been offered then media would have published it everywhere.

Occam's Razor says the simplest solution is probably the right one. In this case, the simplest thing is to believe what JH and GR said to be true; that they were evaluating Manning and decided not to pursue him.

Florio is just using his position to foment dissent... he is a bad sports reporter because, like O'Reilly of FOX News, he only gives his own opinion... truth be d*mned!

We could speculate all day on what was going on behind closed doors...

Here's what I know.

- 49ers "evaluated"/looked at/showed interested in Manning.
- 49ers did not offer contract.

Saying we failed to sign him or didn't want him either is assumptive. Did we "want" Manning, that is too simple of a question, the circumstances and perimeters of the situation would define that word. Yet, we and the media know much too little to answer that question. It would require to much confidential information that the organization would let out to define the word "want" in their situation....

...Que the editorialists.

So here's my editorial on it: this situation was the perfect storm for the media to pick at the obvious imbalance between the business side of the NFL and the brotherhood and loyalty that binds a team. Specifically Harbaugh, will continue having a difficult time (and I expect will get better with experience) dealing with this fact, which will test his "Reality Distortion Field".
[ Edited by stillpans4gold on Aug 25, 2012 at 1:18 AM ]