There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will the offensive line hold back the 49ers offense this season?

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Can you please list the game times the flawed blocking plays occurred? Boone was down field, and Davis had a false start, but I don't think penalties should be part of the discussion of how well the O-line pass/run blocked.

you dont think penalties shoudl be in the discussion, really?

I'll have to look at the time stamp on the video but it was Gores second run where he lost yards.
Originally posted by THEB:
Can you please list the game times the flawed blocking plays occurred? Boone was down field, and Davis had a false start, but I don't think penalties should be part of the discussion of how well the O-line pass/run blocked.

you dont think penalties shoudl be in the discussion, really?

I'll have to look at the time stamp on the video but it was Gores second run where he lost yards.

What is there to discuss about penalties other than that they are "bad"? I don't think our line is abnormally bad with penalties anyway, so I don't see the need to discuss it.

The play at 2:15 in the 1st quarter:
It's a pulling play. It gets disrupted by the Texans middle linebacker on a run blitz. Its the perfect type of play to disrupt with a run blitz. Goodwin blocks down on the linebacker, causing the DT in front of him to penetrate through the middle. Miller is in position to make the block, but he is simply too small to handle a large DT. Boone does a perfect job of letting the DT go and then blocking his man to the outside. Vernon Davis misses a block on the other side to allow another player through. Gore has nowhere to run.

I think it was just a good play call. It could be argued that Goodwin should not have blocked down on the linebacker, but that might be the way he is coached on that play. It's tough to know for sure. Most importantly, the Texans expected us to run and sent a run blitz. It was the perfect defensive play call, and it worked. I didn't see any glaring flaws with the blocking from the O-line.
The only players who flat out missed blocks were Miller and Vernon Davis, but again, it was the play-calling from the defensive coordinator that deserves credit for this particular run stuff.
Im not arguing that our line played well, but you said flawless, and they were not flawless, period.
I'm absolutely blown away by how many people just blame Alex. Wow...it's already been stated in this thread.

oldman9er and I did a side-by-side analysis of the pass protection of the first string OL against the Texans (good measurable) on the first drive which is a nice microcasm of our issues last year against good DL's or defenses that can dial up good blitz schemes: Post #964

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/125790-offensive-line-play-most-important/page65/

And we didn't even touch the run blocking but it sounds like Oscar/oldman9er saw a few blown blocks in the running game as well.

And after you read/watch, you can SEE why Alex (or any QB) would not be looking high-to-low with the type of beating he is getting under 3 seconds. He's lucky to even get to a second read or if his first (hot read) option is open for a modest gain. That said, it was quite remarkable we were able to move from our own 25 to their 27 and got a 50-yard FG out of it.

This line is FAR from flawless and if your QB isn't given at least 3 seconds, he isn't going to do squat on a regular basis (proven with the "elite" QB's when facing excellent pass rushing in the Superbowl, as an example). I had Alex as the 4th reason why we struggled on that drive.

Therefore, I challenge someone to refute our objective analysis...anyone. It's just one drive and only the passing plays. What do YOU see?
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:34 PM ]
Im not arguing that our line played well, but you said flawless, and they were not flawless, period.

Aside from Iupati's blown play, the line was nearly flawless (literally "flawless" is impossible). And I stand by that, until someone can show a play that refutes it.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm absolutely blown away by how many people just blame Alex. Wow...it's already been stated in this thread.

oldman9er and I did a side-by-side analysis of the pass protection of the first string OL against the Texans (good measurable) on the first drive which is a nice microcasm of our issues last year against good DL's or defenses that can dial up good blitz schemes: Post #964

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/125790-offensive-line-play-most-important/page65/

And we didn't even touch the run blocking but it sounds like Oscar/oldman9er saw a few blown blocks in the running game as well.

And after you read/watch, you can SEE why Alex (or any QB) would not be looking high-to-low with the type of beating he is getting under 3 seconds. He's lucky to even get to a second read or if his first (hot read) option is open for a modest gain. That said, it was quite remarkable we were able to move from our own 25 to their 27 and got a 50-yard FG out of it.

This line is FAR from flawless and if your QB isn't given at least 3 seconds, he isn't going to do squat on a regular basis (proven with the "elite" QB's when facing excellent pass rushing in the Superbowl, as an example). I had Alex as the 4th reason why we struggled on that drive.

Therefore, I challenge someone to refute our objective analysis...anyone. It's just one drive and only the passing plays. What do YOU see?

Lol Alex blamed Alex. But I'm sure you will make up what he "really" meant To fit whatever narrative you want. Seems to be the thing to do around the zone lately. Read between the lines so that no matter what actually happens or is said you are never wrong.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Lol Alex blamed Alex. But I'm sure you will make up what he "really" meant To fit whatever narrative you want. Seems to be the thing to do around the zone lately. Read between the lines so that no matter what actually happens or is said you are never wrong.

I totally believe Alex on that first play...he ran a sprint out to the right and Davis blocked his guy out right...right into him. That said, what QB is going to throw his OL under the bus even if he's getting slammed all game? Then again, coach said he was already an "expert" in this offense too so do you take that at face value? Most likely, Alex screwed up on that first play given how hard he was on himself in describing it...but the rest of the game? I've gotta go with the "expert" after watching the tape closely. Alex was 4th on my list of issues against the Texan's D (if any issue at all) who played like it was a real NFL game; they had 7 sacks the previous game. It was about as close to a simulated real NFL game situation as you'd get in pre season.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Oscar:
The stunt was what worried me the most as it indicated a break down on a simple DT stunt. Boone blocked down (his left) and when the RDT came around on the loop Boone was out of position. Yes, you can argue that these kinds of things will be addressed over time, but nevertheless it's worrisome to think that one of the "top 5 linemen" on the team can't handle a preseason stunt.

On the second Gore rush, I'm not sure what the assignment was. When I watched it the first time I thought I could make out the scheme since Miller went out and blocked the same guy that Boone did. Upon re-watching, it's possible that Miller missed the block and not Boone.

Stunts and late blitzes were the main problem with Snyder and Rachal last year as well. It is a timing, as well as cohesion thing. It takes a lineman a while to read his team mates and react with confidence, but I think Boone will get there. A concern with Boone is quickness, which may impact his ability to pull effectively. I haven't seen enough to say that but...could be. That will not be as serious a problem though as not maintaining control of their area against the aforementioned blitz or stunt.

Sadly, I believe the run game will be fine but Smith will once again be pummeled and will need to get the ball out very quickly. They need to play-call to prevent that from happening and with the new receivers perhaps that will be possible. As the season progresses they should be better...but I said that last year and it was still very inconsistent at the end of the year. My fingers and toes are crossed this year!
I hope not.
i think the o line will be fine come game 1. we are doing something different than most teams. were putting in different guys on every play and not following the typical rule of following our depth chart. i think they are mixing and matching to find the best o line and i think by reg season they will have the five starters and they will work together nicely.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The stunt was what worried me the most as it indicated a break down on a simple DT stunt. Boone blocked down (his left) and when the RDT came around on the loop Boone was out of position. Yes, you can argue that these kinds of things will be addressed over time, but nevertheless it's worrisome to think that one of the "top 5 linemen" on the team can't handle a preseason stunt.

On the second Gore rush, I'm not sure what the assignment was. When I watched it the first time I thought I could make out the scheme since Miller went out and blocked the same guy that Boone did. Upon re-watching, it's possible that Miller missed the block and not Boone.

Stunts and late blitzes were the main problem with Snyder and Rachal last year as well. It is a timing, as well as cohesion thing. It takes a lineman a while to read his team mates and react with confidence, but I think Boone will get there. A concern with Boone is quickness, which may impact his ability to pull effectively. I haven't seen enough to say that but...could be. That will not be as serious a problem though as not maintaining control of their area against the aforementioned blitz or stunt.

Sadly, I believe the run game will be fine but Smith will once again be pummeled and will need to get the ball out very quickly. They need to play-call to prevent that from happening and with the new receivers perhaps that will be possible. As the season progresses they should be better...but I said that last year and it was still very inconsistent at the end of the year. My fingers and toes are crossed this year!

Great post and good point about the quickness...will watch for that more if we see any RG pulls.
Even with that last preseason game, our O-line is solid. Alex should trust his O-line and stand tall in the pocket. Can't wait for the regular season to kick off. Our O-line WILL be able to hold off Clay Matthews.
In this week's Better Rivals podcast we talk about the offensive line against the Houston Texans. Alex Smith was battered and took way to many hits against the first team defense leaving us wondering: Will the offensive line hold the 49ers offense back in 2012? What do you think?

Listen via iTunes

Listen via the web
I think the line will be fine. The tweaks will be worked out by game 1. My worries are at depth along the line.
Aside from Iupati's blown play, the line was nearly flawless (literally "flawless" is impossible). And I stand by that, until someone can show a play that refutes it.

aside from?

Aside from all the mass murders and torture, the holocaust was nearly innocent.

You cant have an aside when talking about flawlessness.
[ Edited by THEB on Aug 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM ]

aside from?

Aside from all the mass murders and torture, the holocaust was nearly innocent.

You cant have an aside when talking about flawlessness.

I'm not interested in arguing about word semantics.

The O-line played VERY well. There is a lot of criticism right now of our offensive line, and I am trying to argue that their should not be. The Iupati play was their only glaring hiccup. Again, if someone wants to point out another play where they didn't play well, then feel free. Otherwise, don't criticize the line play unless you can back it up with evidence.