LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Will the offensive line hold back the 49ers offense this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ers201:
This is my one and only worry for us is the O line more the pass protection I think they will be solid on the run blocking.. but for some reason I am a little concerned about the pass protection..They cant be letting Alex Smith get sacked or rushed to trow..they need to give alex his time in the pocket for he could make good passes but if they dont give him the pass protection he needs hes going to take alot of hits and be rushed in to bad trows..,so hopfully they inprove in pass protection.

I'm going to say no, Anthony Davis is getting better and he looks huge!!! Pass protection will get better when Alex gets rid of the ball faster which I think he will this year
In pass protection? Possibly; TBD. Run blocking? Absolutely not, we have an OL full of road-graders, anything less than Top 5 in the league in rushing will be a disappointment.
The war is won in the trenches.

I don't think the line gels until the 4th week.
Originally posted by Oscar:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Smith-blames-self-not-line-for-punishmen?blockID=759359&feedID=5936

"Most of it was self-inflicted by me," Smith said following the 49ers' 20-6 loss to the Houston Texans. "The O-Line played good. First play was a miscommunication with me and the other 10 guys in the huddle, and that resulted in a hit.

"Really felt like the offensive line played great."

So how did the miscommunication occur?

"It's tough to explain. Stupidity," Smith said. "I got things mixed up in my head a little bit."

Good stuff. That explains why Davis blocked the DE as though he were letting him come through. I thought it looked a little weird.

Thanks Old man, Oscar was bust'n my chops for a link...and there it is! Thanks again!
  • THEB
  • Veteran
There is a weird cut at about 13:15. You went from talking about the 49ers not moving as efficiently as it can against a good defense, then it cuts to Romo or McNabb sustaining a 3 year period where they were the top 2 or 3?
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Smith-blames-self-not-line-for-punishmen?blockID=759359&feedID=5936

"Most of it was self-inflicted by me," Smith said following the 49ers' 20-6 loss to the Houston Texans. "The O-Line played good. First play was a miscommunication with me and the other 10 guys in the huddle, and that resulted in a hit.

"It's tough to explain. Stupidity," Smith said. "I got things mixed up in my head a little bit."

Good stuff. That explains why Davis blocked the DE as though he were letting him come through. I thought it looked a little weird.

Thanks Old man, Oscar was bust'n my chops for a link...and there it is! Thanks again!

Happy to. The truth is out there.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

alex being a stand up guy and taking the heat for the lines poor play is not going to hold up all year. the non supporters of alex will love it but in reality they are no where close to being an elite line in pass protection
Originally posted by cciowa:

alex being a stand up guy and taking the heat for the lines poor play is not going to hold up all year. the non supporters of alex will love it but in reality they are no where close to being an elite line in pass protection

I think Alex was a little generous to his OL here, but on the whole, I think he was honest and accurate with his comments.
I think this line is as talented as New England but there is something going on there that isn't here which causes them to give Brady like ten years to throw each snap but Smith is running for his life half the time.

I wonder if its coaching, or scheme?

Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
I think this line is as talented as New England but there is something going on there that isn't here which causes them to give Brady like ten years to throw each snap but Smith is running for his life half the time.

I wonder if its coaching, or scheme?

Brady stands up tall in the pocket when he should, and steps up when he should. That is what gives him that time. Very few quarterbacks have ever had the 6th sense in the pocket that Brady has.

Again, we had Iupati miss a block badly. Other than that the line was basically flawless.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Brady stands up tall in the pocket when he should, and steps up when he should. That is what gives him that time. Very few quarterbacks have ever had the 6th sense in the pocket that Brady has.

Again, we had Iupati miss a block badly. Other than that the line was basically flawless.

no, it was far from flawless. Boone blocking down when he shouldnt be, being a billion yards down field so alex cant throw it etc...

Flawless is the last thing that o-line was.
Originally posted by THEB:

no, it was far from flawless. Boone blocking down when he shouldnt be, being a billion yards down field so alex cant throw it etc...

Flawless is the last thing that o-line was.

Can you please list the game times the flawed blocking plays occurred? Boone was down field, and Davis had a false start, but I don't think penalties should be part of the discussion of how well the O-line pass/run blocked.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i am sorry but this line is not flawless, it is basically the same line as last year which was awfull most of the year. How did the team fix it,,, they cut two bad players, drafted a rookie with a broken foot, signed a free agent , which was good, and basically hoped that some guys from last year can do the job.There is alot of consternation about our quarterback, our backup quarterback, how james will fit in,,, well there should be some attention payed to this line,, it is not elite and it is not flawless
Originally posted by cciowa:

i am sorry but this line is not flawless, it is basically the same line as last year which was awfull most of the year. How did the team fix it,,, they cut two bad players, drafted a rookie with a broken foot, signed a free agent , which was good, and basically hoped that some guys from last year can do the job.There is alot of consternation about our quarterback, our backup quarterback, how james will fit in,,, well there should be some attention payed to this line,, it is not elite and it is not flawless

We have different opinions, but until you can point out the game times the bad plays occurred, our opinions will not change. Everybody agrees the Iupati missed block was a bad play, but that one single play does not represent the entire game.
Share 49ersWebzone