LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by nannite:
Alex gotta a free pass for seven years.

Other than his rookie year, when was Smith ever given the starting role when there was a better QB on the team?

When did we pass up on a better QB to keep Smith as our QB? The only QB I can think off the top of my head that we could have gone out and got since he was drafted that is currently better than Smith is Jay Cutler. It's arguable whether that would have been a good move.

They tried to get Manning, which would indicate the current FO aren't giving him a free pass. He got benched and replaced by both Shaun Hill and JT O'Sullivan so Singletary didn't give him a free pass. But he played his way back into the starting spot.

He hasn't been great, but the free pass statement just doesn't hold up under scrutiny. He has been the best QB on our team every year since his second season and no QB's we could have drafted/traded for/signed have turned out better in the long run. (off the top of my head I can't remember any at least)

Shaun hill was better but that's an old argument.

Do you honestly believe Harbaugh would give someone a free pass ?
Shaun Hill could be defensed because he couldn't make all the throws, and the defense didn't need to cover all of the field. Kaepernick can be defensed because he can't read defenses, so he must be given roll-out plays with simple reads, and if his one or two receivers on that side of the field are not open, he runs. This too will be defensed by the intelligent NFL DC's, who will roll thier defenses with his roll-outs. Shaun Hill won a few games until the defenses figured him out, and then he was done. I'm afraid the same thing will happen with Kaepernick. For a game or two, he probably will be the most effective backup considering his ground production, but then we all know no QB survives long in the NFL running the ball. After that, I think we'd have a much better chance with Tolzien, who appears to be much better reading defenses pre snap and quickly going to the right receiver from the pocket. Tolzien can run the game plan made for AS, whereas Kaepernick can not, and that means the other ten offensive players are running plays they haven't practiced that week he comes in for Alex. The reason drafting QB's is such a crap shoot is that the most important quality of an NFL QB is his ability to read complex defenses designed to screw you up, and this is almost not done in college. That is why saying any youngster QB will be better than the starter, whatever their physical skills or college performance, is a total crap shoot until they've proven they've mastered reading very complex NFL defenses. So many never do. A few, like Joe Montana, are so good at it that it totally overcomes very pedestrian physical skills. Intelligence doesn't guarantee it, just like there is no relationship between intelligence and common sense in life.
Thank you for being able to realistically evaluate a situation kush. I agree with you I,'m not ready to drink the tolzien punch yet. He's playing against 3rd stringers and practice squad players.
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Shaun Hill could be defensed because he couldn't make all the throws, and the defense didn't need to cover all of the field. Kaepernick can be defensed because he can't read defenses, so he must be given roll-out plays with simple reads, and if his one or two receivers on that side of the field are not open, he runs. This too will be defensed by the intelligent NFL DC's, who will roll thier defenses with his roll-outs. Shaun Hill won a few games until the defenses figured him out, and then he was done. I'm afraid the same thing will happen with Kaepernick. For a game or two, he probably will be the most effective backup considering his ground production, but then we all know no QB survives long in the NFL running the ball. After that, I think we'd have a much better chance with Tolzien, who appears to be much better reading defenses pre snap and quickly going to the right receiver from the pocket. Tolzien can run the game plan made for AS, whereas Kaepernick can not, and that means the other ten offensive players are running plays they haven't practiced that week he comes in for Alex. The reason drafting QB's is such a crap shoot is that the most important quality of an NFL QB is his ability to read complex defenses designed to screw you up, and this is almost not done in college. That is why saying any youngster QB will be better than the starter, whatever their physical skills or college performance, is a total crap shoot until they've proven they've mastered reading very complex NFL defenses. So many never do. A few, like Joe Montana, are so good at it that it totally overcomes very pedestrian physical skills. Intelligence doesn't guarantee it, just like there is no relationship between intelligence and common sense in life.

You sure know an awful lot about what Kaepernick can not do.

Joe Montana did not have pedestrian physical skills. He was extremely accurate on short medium and long throws and had excellent elusiveness in the pocket. He had as much arm strength as any QB has ever needed to be successful
[ Edited by DirtyP on Aug 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM ]
Yep I feel the same way. But I would like to see them thow him in sooner to see what he would do. But its probly not a good idea because of what the media would make out of it. So if hb is not willing to do it must mean he already knows who's best
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
The answer has to be yes because you can't tell me with a straight face that he's outplayed Tolzien and that includes last year too.

*puts on straight face*

Colin Kaepernick has outplayed Scott Tolzien this preseason. He gives you a much larger variety of plays to call and he has been successful running them. His arm and athleticism are far beyond what ST possesses and frankly he's a few live game-repitions away from being the best QB on our roster.

Lmfao

I don't need to read any more of your comments after that nugget of bs.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Joe Montana did not have pedestrian physical skills. He was extremely accurate on short medium and long throws and had excellent elusiveness in the pocket. He had as much arm strength as any QB has ever needed to be successful

Joe Montana was not accurate at all on long throws (but he did have a wide open Jerry Rice much of the time), and when he was beat by the Belichecks of the world, it was because they jamed up his short game. He did have great feet, quickness, and pocket awareness, of course.
This is not a montana thread.... lol. Just s ayin
Maybe not handed to him, but by default -- since neither Tolzien nor JJ has clearly out played Kaep. But at the same time I'm not seeing the 'distant himself as a #2' like Harbaugh said either. If Kaep is .... I don't see it.
It's a post that has been on my mind. If Tolzien was like Nate Davis, someone with a strong arm but needed lots of coaching I'd say keep CK at 2. However, Tolzien shows a command of the huddle and looks ahead of CK in pocket awareness and defense recognition. CK has tremendous athletic ability but as a fan I'd say that he needs many reps to hone his craft. The way the team is set up he won't get them. So as of now I'm in for Tolzien at 2.
meh...still early to say

Kap was a 2-3 year project

Alex gotta a free pass for seven years.

I know he stuck around way longer than the norm, but you can't say free pass Even you, Sus.
kaepernck hasnt shown an ability to consitently throw accurately from the pocket--most of his success seems to be on roll outs
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by OnYouLikeGlue:
I agree. For some reason a lot of people want to overlook that Kaep has produced 13 points during the preseason so far while JJ and Tolzien have produced a combined 3 points. The QB position is about producing points, and Kaep has done that best of all the backups.

Fantastic post.

Dumb reasoning. He got seven of his points off one broken tim tebow like play that wouldn't work against a first string defense.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
kaepernck hasnt shown an ability to consitently throw accurately from the pocket--most of his success seems to be on roll outs
yes. that is just one of the reasons i have to chuckle when some here claim he is just a couple of throws away from being the starter or the best qb on the roster. he just needs to worry about being number two
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by OnYouLikeGlue:
I agree. For some reason a lot of people want to overlook that Kaep has produced 13 points during the preseason so far while JJ and Tolzien have produced a combined 3 points. The QB position is about producing points, and Kaep has done that best of all the backups.

Fantastic post.

Dumb reasoning. He got seven of his points off one broken tim tebow like play that wouldn't work against a first string defense.

Well, using your dumb reasoning, how impressive does Tolzien seem considering he's produced 0 points against 3rd and 4th stringers?
Share 49ersWebzone