LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 415 users in the forums

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Originally posted by kush:
Ummm...Steve Young, you ever heard of him?

and he had to develop into a pocket passer before they won the superbowl, and that was 18 years ago.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Aug 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
the guy had a 78 yard run in pre season.that is no reason to compare him to cam newton or to say he is now worthy of the number one spot. cam could have run or passed for a touchdown, CK has lot of work to do throwing from the pocket. oh by the way, lawrence phillips once scored on a 80 yard touchdown run in pre season for us, he was given a big sloppy kiss by mooch, so what. Before you get shrill i am not comparing him to phillips. I am just saying to please temper your enthusiasm for Ck untill he improves his throwing. alex has had more runs and more important runs than CK has. this run is a nice highlight in a pre season game but is not a game changer

Yes there is. CK is an extremely athletic QB...Cam Newton is an extremely athletic QB. They are two of a small number of QBs in the league who could've made that run.

Ck runs faster than Cam Newton. What part of this comparison is invalid? Where did I mention thorwing from the pocket, or even throwing at all??
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
and he had to develop into a pocket passer before they won the superbowl, and that was 18 years ago.

Remember asking me to tell you the last QB like that who won a superbowl? It doesnt really matter how many years ago it was, the fact is there are and have been WAY MORE traditional QBs than players like Kaep, Newton and Young. I don't know if Kaep will ever pass like Steve Young, but it stands to reason he can develop (look at how much Alex has developed with experience). I do know that you can't ever learn the speed and explosion that thletic Qbs have.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Pm me when cam newton and michael vick win a superbowl. Actually, tell me the last quarterback who has won a superbowl who can do that.

Eli Manning...no
Aaron rodgers...no
Drew Brees...no
Ben Rothelsberger...no
Peyton Manning...no

I could go on...
Ummm...Steve Young, you ever heard of him?

Steve Young was always a pocket passer since his days at BYU. He just happened to have RB speed. Don't make me go YouTube You guys are either too young or too old to remember.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Steve Young was always a pocket passer since his days at BYU. He just happened to have RB speed. Don't make me go YouTube

We're not even really talking about passing, the question was whether a QB with that kind of athleticism has ever one a superbowl, and you know the answer to that one
Steve Young was always a pocket passer since his days at BYU. He just happened to have RB speed. Don't make me go YouTube

We're not even really talking about passing, the question was whether a QB with that kind of athleticism has ever one a superbowl, and you know the answer to that one

Alright. Getting back to subject then. I see your enthusiasm for Kaep and what he could be. I feel the same. With his running speed and when he develop further as a pocket passer -- he could be deadly. But he's a year or 2 away from that end.

I think Harbaugh like unconventional in the offense. Defensive players playing offense. 3 TE formation. Throwing to offensive lineman. What am I missing... the big, speedy qb to put more pressure on the defense on stopping the run. Meanwhile he can throw the ball with the best of them. I think that is part of the reason Harbaugh like Kaep to be the #2 -- sooner or later#1. Unconventional is Harbaugh.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
He should be number 1 he's got way more skills than Alexander the great.

Originally posted by natrone06:
I feel like his throwing motion puts a mental block on people being able to objectively evaluate him. Also runs do count as much as people want to state otherwise. The throw to moss, the rollout to Jenkins and the 80 yard td run are all plays Tolzien even on Melky juice could never make. Just entirely different ceilings. Obviously IMO.

Pretty sure johnson could make all those plays... Think he's the one getting most screwed here.

Alright. Getting back to subject then. I see your enthusiasm for Kaep and what he could be. I feel the same. With his running speed and when he develop further as a pocket passer -- he could be deadly. But he's a year or 2 away from that end.

I think Harbaugh like unconventional in the offense. Defensive players playing offense. 3 TE formation. Throwing to offensive lineman. What am I missing... the big, speedy qb to put more pressure on the defense on stopping the run. Meanwhile he can throw the ball with the best of them. I think that is part of the reason Harbaugh like Kaep to be the #2 -- sooner or later#1. Unconventional is Harbaugh.
Football has been around for nearly 70 years, this type of qb athleticism has only been coming around for the last 15-20 years, and with each passing year athletic qb's are becoming more and more of a commodity in this league, this type of qb will win a superbowl in the next 2-3 years.
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Football has been around for nearly 70 years, this type of qb athleticism has only been coming around for the last 15-20 years, and with each passing year athletic qb's are becoming more and more of a commodity in this league, this type of qb will win a superbowl in the next 2-3 years.

Agree.

Even QBs like Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith would've been considered "super-athletic" years ago. Nowadays they are just normal.

How quickly we question the integrity of our HC. Hell, lets just expand this to rg, what makes boone the big cheese? Why aren't swoley (sp) or l. davis getting 1st team on air televised reps so as to convince the experts in tv land of the validity of the decisions the HC/staff make.

Buncha damned turn coats
I have never seen so many qb gurus. Im suprised the NFL doesnt recruit out of niner talk! After what we went through before last year and then what harbs did do last year. i trust his judgement. Harbs shipped mays out and he is as good of an athlete as there is. No, coach thinks kaep can be our future qb.
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
I have never seen so many qb gurus. Im suprised the NFL doesnt recruit out of niner talk! After what we went through before last year and then what harbs did do last year. i trust his judgement. Harbs shipped mays out and he is as good of an athlete as there is. No, coach thinks kaep can be our future qb.

Pretty sure Hostler came out of NinerTalk. Jimmy Raye was a troll for years before Singletary got him away from his Commodore 64.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM ]
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:

Pretty sure Hostler came out of NinerTalk. Jimmy Raye was a troll for years before Singletary got him away from his Commodore 64.
I trust Jim. He has forgotten more about QBing then I ever knew.
Share 49ersWebzone