There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Originally posted by OnYouLikeGlue:
I agree. For some reason a lot of people want to overlook that Kaep has produced 13 points during the preseason so far while JJ and Tolzien have produced a combined 3 points. The QB position is about producing points, and Kaep has done that best of all the backups.

Fantastic post.
Originally posted by Chico:
i think there's a little bit of favoritism since Jim went out on a limb for this guy to grab him in the 2nd round. He's the one that's going to look like a fool if he doesn't develop so he's going to want to play him. But, i think he will also keep him on a short leash just in case he doesn't pan out. No room for error in this league.

Yea, because JH really cares about looking like a fool. If you can take one thing from JH its that outside perception is the least of his worries.
Yeah, Im with the last guy...Don think harbaugh cares what anyone thinks...his goal is winning...whether he has a qb that throws for 3,000 yards or not...he's going to find a way to win...
Originally posted by susweel:
Alex gotta a free pass for seven years.

Other than his rookie year, when was Smith ever given the starting role when there was a better QB on the team?

When did we pass up on a better QB to keep Smith as our QB? The only QB I can think off the top of my head that we could have gone out and got since he was drafted that is currently better than Smith is Jay Cutler. It's arguable whether that would have been a good move.

They tried to get Manning, which would indicate the current FO aren't giving him a free pass. He got benched and replaced by both Shaun Hill and JT O'Sullivan so Singletary didn't give him a free pass. But he played his way back into the starting spot.

He hasn't been great, but the free pass statement just doesn't hold up under scrutiny. He has been the best QB on our team every year since his second season and no QB's we could have drafted/traded for/signed have turned out better in the long run. (off the top of my head I can't remember any at least)
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Overkill:
I admit it - I don't like Kap. I hate his throwing motion and I hate the retarded college offense we run when he's on the field. I wish he wasn't 2nd on the depth chart, but I don't believe Harbaugh is handing him anything.

AJ Jenkins is 1st round pick and he's about 6th on the depth chart right now. Guys like Kap & Jenkins may get more attention & more "looks" than UDFA's like Owusu & Tolzien, but that doesn't mean they're being handed anything. Kap's mostly playing 1 & 2's. Tolzien isn't. Level of competition has to be considered in the pre season. Plus, Harbaugh's got a far more complete picture of what these guys look like in practice, what the play calls were, etc. I doubt he's going to roll with Kap "just because".

Hella appreciate this honesty.

Good post.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
I agree on Kaep. I watch Dalton play in Cincinatti, and Tolzien reminds me of Dalton. Tolzien reads the defenses, checks his receivers quickly and will throw a WR open. I think Kaep is a gimmick qb, and not a pro style qb. Anyone who thinks high draft picks are not given passes are clueless. They have guaranteed money attached to them and the scouting department would look pretty silly if they cut AJ Jenkins and kept Owusu.

With Tolzien, I say swallow your pride. Give baby Brees two pre season games to play half the game. If he drives the team up and down the field, he is the man. I just get a better feeling with him over Kaepernick behind center. Kaepernicks huge wind up gives db's all the time in the world to makd adjustments.

Seriously, GreAT post bro.

What are ppl thinking, Taylor Mays should be proof that 2nd rounders are given EVERY chance to earn a job. Hell, Baalke refused to cut him loose purely because of his draft position and the fact that Trent didn't want to look like a fool.

/thread
Originally posted by nannite:
Originally posted by susweel:
Alex gotta a free pass for seven years.

Other than his rookie year, when was Smith ever given the starting role when there was a better QB on the team?

When did we pass up on a better QB to keep Smith as our QB? The only QB I can think off the top of my head that we could have gone out and got since he was drafted that is currently better than Smith is Jay Cutler. It's arguable whether that would have been a good move.

They tried to get Manning, which would indicate the current FO aren't giving him a free pass. He got benched and replaced by both Shaun Hill and JT O'Sullivan so Singletary didn't give him a free pass. But he played his way back into the starting spot.

He hasn't been great, but the free pass statement just doesn't hold up under scrutiny. He has been the best QB on our team every year since his second season and no QB's we could have drafted/traded for/signed have turned out better in the long run. (off the top of my head I can't remember any at least)

Shaun hill was better but that's an old argument.

Do you honestly believe Harbaugh would give someone a free pass ?
The answer has to be yes because you can't tell me with a straight face that he's outplayed Tolzien and that includes last year too.
Originally posted by THEB:
I think Tolzien is better than Kaep, so yes.

This.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
The answer has to be yes because you can't tell me with a straight face that he's outplayed Tolzien and that includes last year too.

*puts on straight face*

Colin Kaepernick has outplayed Scott Tolzien this preseason. He gives you a much larger variety of plays to call and he has been successful running them. His arm and athleticism are far beyond what ST possesses and frankly he's a few live game-repitions away from being the best QB on our roster.
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

*puts on straight face*

Colin Kaepernick has outplayed Scott Tolzien this preseason. He gives you a much larger variety of plays to call and he has been successful running them. His arm and athleticism are far beyond what ST possesses and frankly he's a few live game-repitions away from being the best QB on our roster.

This
Agreed. With some reps I don't see how CK7 could not outplay #11. It is it like the bar is set high, no?
  • hps49
  • Veteran
Tolzien is the best QB on roster.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Why must we do this every off-season with the QB position? The Zone finds a guy. He becomes their guy, even though he really is garbage, but they believe he is being shafted in some manner (usually a political reason). This year its Tolzien. Last year, it was Kap. This is not a new development. This happened years ago with what's his name...Tim Rattay and Shaun Hill. Or even more recently with Cody Pickett. Where are these guys now? I'll tell you. They are not here and they are not starting for us. They are, were, and always will be garbage. Yes, they made it to the NFL. Good for them. But they were not good enough to get it done here.

Alex is our guy, Kap is the backup, and that's that.
No one has seen Tolzien throw against anything but third stringers yet it seems the majority of people here think they have a big enough sample size to declare him a better player than Kaepernick. I don't understand that at all. Harbaugh has stated nothing is given on this team. So far, Harbaugh has held true to everything he has said publically so why do so many hear assume differently in this case? 2nd round picks don't get enough guaranteed money in the new rookie pay scale to warrant a cemented spot on the depth chart. AJ Jenkins position on the depth chart alone should end this discussion.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Aug 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM ]