There are 171 users in the forums

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

• Jiks
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Time to shut this thread down. Kaep has had a solid preseason and was money today...he is clearly #2, because of his play on the field...so enough of these conspiracy theories..

This... I think he showed some solid progression today. Definitely looked the most comfortable he has looked thus far.
naw, collin looked pretty good today and im sure thats what harbaughs seen in practice as well
My opinion on this was decidedly altered in favor of CK today. I finally saw some serious improvement. No doubt in my mind he is #2 now. Then I think Tolzein. I'm tired of Johnson missing wide open TDs each week.
Originally posted by VA49er:
My opinion on this was decidedly altered in favor of CK today. I finally saw some serious improvement. No doubt in my mind he is #2 now. Then I think Tolzein. I'm tired of Johnson missing wide open TDs each week.

I think its going to be close between Tolzien and Johnson. I really have no idea what the coaches will do.
Just curious if it only the Smith Fan Club that says Kaep didn't earn his spot. Smith is a joke of a qb and I firmly believe that after 8 years which would be a reasonable comparison it won't even be close.
Kaep is the clear cut #2. Not sure what to do at 3rd QB, but I prefer the potential upside of Tolzien over the veteran backup Johnson. I bet that decision won't be made until the last cutdown date.
I was really down on Kaep in the first couple of games, namely because he didn't look as polished in the pocket as I would expect after a year. However, his arm strenght and athleticism is undeniable. He made a couple eye poping plays today. I'll say this, watching Cam play the Jets tonight I couldn't help but to think of Kaep and the possibilities. I'd like to see how he would develop if he got to start every game. With that said, I'm not willing to gamble with this potential Superbowl team, so I'm not sure I would ever be comfortable starting him uless we had to.
If you watch the Houston game = #3. Todays game = #2.

Ready right now..... 2 - 3.

Upside potential..... Solid #2 and maybe a #1 or even an excellent one. I don't think he is consistenly there yet though.
Seeing him in person today at Mile High, he impressed me and my son. He showed his athleticism, escaping pressure by running keepers or spinning away from a Bronco defender to hit Rueland on a nice pass downfield. The entire offense really perked up while he was in there. So, I'd say he showed well, overall. Definitely strengthened his hold on the # 2 spot.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Seeing him in person today at Mile High, he impressed me and my son. He showed his athleticism, escaping pressure by running keepers or spinning away from a Bronco defender to hit Rueland on a nice pass downfield. The entire offense really perked up while he was in there. So, I'd say he showed well, overall. Definitely strengthened his hold on the # 2 spot.

The thing is Tolzien and Kaep are so different, I can't even see running the same offense with both of them. JJ might be a better comparison to Kaep, but I like Tolzien better. I still think Tolzien could easily be the number two, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Originally posted by kush:
*puts on straight face*

Colin Kaepernick has outplayed Scott Tolzien this preseason. He gives you a much larger variety of plays to call and he has been successful running them. His arm and athleticism are far beyond what ST possesses and frankly he's a few live game-repitions away from being the best QB on our roster.

A few? That's a huge reach.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I was really down on Kaep in the first couple of games, namely because he didn't look as polished in the pocket as I would expect after a year. However, his arm strenght and athleticism is undeniable. He made a couple eye poping plays today. I'll say this, watching Cam play the Jets tonight I couldn't help but to think of Kaep and the possibilities. I'd like to see how he would develop if he got to start every game. With that said, I'm not willing to gamble with this potential Superbowl team, so I'm not sure I would ever be comfortable starting him uless we had to.

Cam is a confident player and a natural leader, but if you look at the measureables it's scary to compare them because Kaep has even more raw ability than Newton. He can make throws that Newton can't make, he is actually faster than Newton as a runner, and Kaep is as smart as they come. That throw to Williams was a demonstration of sheer laser cannon accuracy and speed.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Looked better than he did week 1
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Cam is a confident player and a natural leader, but if you look at the measureables it's scary to compare them because Kaep has even more raw ability than Newton. He can make throws that Newton can't make, he is actually faster than Newton as a runner, and Kaep is as smart as they come. That throw to Williams was a demonstration of sheer laser cannon accuracy and speed.

There was a video of Baalke praising Kaeps ability to do this(bold), to the media after drafting him. He sounded very excited in that video, when talking of Kaep and now we can see why.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

What did harbaugh call it, "high grade plutonium?"
Share 49ersWebzone