LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 137 users in the forums

Anthony Dixon vs Rock Cartwright

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
cc, are you totally ignoring cartwright's performance in texans game? i believe you said you haven't watched it.....so hopefully someone will upload it...pay attention to what dixon is doing everytime he is on the field...then do the same for cartwright...and tell us what you think after that

Dixon couldn't do anything against the 1st team Texans defense, when Rock Cartwright was running behind a 2nd string(at best) OL against a 1st team DL, so I dont see a big deal. Cartwright does more than Dixon will ever do/done. He also ran behind a 1st team OL against a 1st team DL, which isn't terrible in the Vikings. Believe it or not there front 7 is really good, it's there piss poor DBs that are awful.

I go off of his career, he has been consistent in Washington and Oakland. Either Returner, ST Ace, RB, Catching or even FB, he brings more than Dixon. I never would go with the quote on quote "potential" in a player over a proven vet who can get the job done.

are you ignoring those huuuuuge holes cartwright had in that game? then when he didn't have huge holes he couldn't create anything in the texans game....and cartwright also dropped a potential first down pass from kaep that could have kept our drive going....where as dixon got a first down catching a pass.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
"dixon, he is useless, he can't gain any yards, and looks clueless on the field" ab, stick with the salary cap opinions buddy because you sure are letting feelings affect your judgement. how can you say he looks clueless out on the field when he did a great job of pass protecting that whole game...or picking up a 1st down catching a ball that required good route running and timing.....or picking up a first down on a 3rd and 8 when we were backed up against our endzone last week....as far as useless, he had 2tds last year when he was the 3rd string rb.
Here is my issue(and i have many). even though he had two touchdowns last year, when I saw him he just pranced and danced and did his best kevin barlow sideshow. that turned me off as a legit running back. he then gave us the perception he cared more about tweeting stupid s**t then playing the game, that turned me off as a team mate. He then went in and could not get a god damn first down on third and one vs the giants(may have even happened twice). that turned me off as a player in a niner uniform......... my real issue is that i can not forgive him for not being able to get first down vs the giants but i am the biggest fan of the redemption of kyle williams my problem, not yours... i was just venting on the doctors couch
cc, are you totally ignoring cartwright's performance in texans game? i believe you said you haven't watched it.....so hopefully someone will upload it...pay attention to what dixon is doing everytime he is on the field...then do the same for cartwright...and tell us what you think after that

Dixon couldn't do anything against the 1st team Texans defense, when Rock Cartwright was running behind a 2nd string(at best) OL against a 1st team DL, so I dont see a big deal. Cartwright does more than Dixon will ever do/done. He also ran behind a 1st team OL against a 1st team DL, which isn't terrible in the Vikings. Believe it or not there front 7 is really good, it's there piss poor DBs that are awful.

I go off of his career, he has been consistent in Washington and Oakland. Either Returner, ST Ace, RB, Catching or even FB, he brings more than Dixon. I never would go with the quote on quote "potential" in a player over a proven vet who can get the job done.

are you ignoring those huuuuuge holes cartwright had in that game? then when he didn't have huge holes he couldn't create anything in the texans game....and cartwright also dropped a potential first down pass from kaep that could have kept our drive going....where as dixon got a first down catching a pass.

I saw the holes. And that was behind a 1st team OL, where Cartwright was behind a 2nd team OL, with players who are subpar, no offense to Derek Hall, Kilgore, Person, etc... But they aren't our starters. All dixon does it dance around. I look at the past years. Rock was consistent, where Dixon hasn't done enough to warrant a spot on this team, he isn't one of the 53 best players.
"dixon, he is useless, he can't gain any yards, and looks clueless on the field" ab, stick with the salary cap opinions buddy because you sure are letting feelings affect your judgement. how can you say he looks clueless out on the field when he did a great job of pass protecting that whole game...or picking up a 1st down catching a ball that required good route running and timing.....or picking up a first down on a 3rd and 8 when we were backed up against our endzone last week....as far as useless, he had 2tds last year when he was the 3rd string rb.

Clueless because when needed he can't get even 1 yard to continue a drive. I dont hate Dixon, I think he isn't as great as people thought or hoped he would be. I like the idea of proven over potential, we aren't a rebuilding team, we are a Super Bowl team, and Rock can make this team even better than last year on STs. It sucked losing Costanzo, but Cartwright is as good if not better than him.

i respect what cartwright could do for us in special teams...i know how important it is...as well as if jacobs played well, it could be a numbers game regarding a roster spot for dixon, even if he played well....i just don't understand how to show how important cart is for the team, some need to lie....yes lie...about dixon just to get that point across....its a lie if someone said they watched the games and then say that dixon is doing nothing. is clueless, is useless....he has had an all around good preseason...if he doesn't make it here, he'll make it somewhere else.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 20, 2012 at 7:09 PM ]

Clueless because when needed he can't get even 1 yard to continue a drive. I dont hate Dixon, I think he isn't as great as people thought or hoped he would be. I like the idea of proven over potential, we aren't a rebuilding team, we are a Super Bowl team, and Rock can make this team even better than last year on STs. It sucked losing Costanzo, but Cartwright is as good if not better than him.

i respect what cartwright could do for us in special teams...i know how important it is...as well as if jacobs played well, it could be a numbers game regarding a roster spot for dixon, even if he played well....i just understand how to show how important cart is for the team, some need to lie....yes lie...about dixon just to get that point across....its a lie if someone said they watched the games and then say that dixon is doing nothing. is clueless, is useless....he has had an all around good preseason...if he doesn't make it here, he'll make it somewhere else.

I understand that. I dont think he has a great preseason, good one sure. But it is preseason. And in regular season, Cartwright has made more plays to warrant a spot then Dixon has, thats all.
Cartwright look like a 12years RB vet should look. Decent. I find it a little weird that after 12 years he hasn't been anything other than good in special team, but after coming to us, he actually look pretty decent as a backup RB. Is it because the O-line run blocking is that good so far in the preseason...
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM ]
anthony dixon works hard and seems like a great teammate. unfortunately, he's just not that good. he's big, but isn't a bruiser and he isn't fast or shifty. dixon realizes that he won't make the team at running back, which is why he's trying the move to fullback. he'll get cut, so good luck to him moving forward.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
anthony dixon works hard and seems like a great teammate. unfortunately, he's just not that good. he's big, but isn't a bruiser and he isn't fast or shifty. dixon realizes that he won't make the team at running back, which is why he's trying the move to fullback. he'll get cut, so good luck to him moving forward.

Reality check time. No way Dixon makes the team. Disapointment, he was supposed to be a bell cow every down back, but 31 other teams passes on him 6 times and the niners took him in ht e 6th when he was projected to go in the second. I guess front offices got it right on Dixon. If he spent as much time working out as on twitter he would be a pro bowler
Originally posted by 9erred:
Reality check time. No way Dixon makes the team. Disapointment, he was supposed to be a bell cow every down back, but 31 other teams passes on him 6 times and the niners took him in ht e 6th when he was projected to go in the second. I guess front offices got it right on Dixon. If he spent as much time working out as on twitter he would be a pro bowler

Lets wait and see how are other 2 RBs look after injuries, Boodie is listed as a back up full back and did show ability to catch the rock. I'm not so fast to chase out Niners in exchane for 2 old RBs and a hurt Rooky that hasn't looked better than Dixon in preseason as of yet. Arian Foster went undrafted the year before so how smart are FO's? Talant can be found anywhere, Who would you rather play RG 2nd rounder ChiloR or undrafted AlexBoone? What does twitter have to do with anything? Pwillis blows my twitter page up along with many other Niners.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Assuming you can tell about a persons character and work ethic from twitter is the only thing "off" IMO.

this, thankyou

but if you watch that run from last week when he only had 1 yard the whole oline got torched and he nad nowhere to go. in the Hou game he had nice 9 yard run and made some nice moves on the defenders. Also you saying we can use Rock as a RB is crap, he will never get a run when Gore, Hunter, Jacobs and James are ahead of him, so he doesnt have value at RB. Also he wont ever be returing kicks back b/c of Ginn, Williams and James. So the only thing he provides to this team is a ST tackler and vet leadership. Now when you compare those 2 traits to what Dixon can proivde as a power back and a blocking RB/FB who also plays good ST, its an easy decison. IMO
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
but if you watch that run from last week when he only had 1 yard the whole oline got torched and he nad nowhere to go. in the Hou game he had nice 9 yard run and made some nice moves on the defenders. Also you saying we can use Rock as a RB is crap, he will never get a run when Gore, Hunter, Jacobs and James are ahead of him, so he doesnt have value at RB. Also he wont ever be returing kicks back b/c of Ginn, Williams and James. So the only thing he provides to this team is a ST tackler and vet leadership. Now when you compare those 2 traits to what Dixon can proivde as a power back and a blocking RB/FB who also plays good ST, its an easy decison. IMO
what has james done so far to make you think he will be a good returner. rock has done it in the past in the nfl for several years. i will take production over "potential" any day. the words dixon and "power back' should never be used in the same sentence. i also believe in goal line situations, you will see jacobs and rock back there together.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
just because james was drafted high does not mean he is ahead of rock right now
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
what has james done so far to make you think he will be a good returner. rock has done it in the past in the nfl for several years. i will take production over "potential" any day. the words dixon and "power back' should never be used in the same sentence. i also believe in goal line situations, you will see jacobs and rock back there together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DILc30T5i8

[ Edited by Frisco69ers on Aug 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM ]
I am not saying Dixon is a huge beast power back, i am saying he has the body and ability to be. I would just think Rathman could coach him up better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcY8Mqlu1qU

and this:

[ Edited by Frisco69ers on Aug 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone