There are 168 users in the forums

Anyone else concerned

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This reminds me of last years preseason thread with questions like these and look what happened. Bahahaha!!!
Now I am concerned , 3 field goals no TD ?
Preseason is bland - and I agree, they aren't going to show all their looks. But GIVE ME A BREAK. The coaches don't hide everything just to unveil it in the season and hope it works then under the first real live test. You don't get good at something until you actually do it against real competition.

I would like to see them pushing the ball down the field more with the new receiving weapons. It looked like they ran those routes with Moss (open deep post) and Jenkins quite a few times -- but none of the Qbs connected. Which goes to the point - practice it against real competition to see if you can really do it when it counts!

Houston pushed the ball down the field successfully on us - do you think they gave away any advantage in the upcoming season by showing it and doing it. NO.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Preseason is bland - and I agree, they aren't going to show all their looks. But GIVE ME A BREAK. The coaches don't hide everything just to unveil it in the season and hope it works then under the first real live test. You don't get good at something until you actually do it against real competition.

I would like to see them pushing the ball down the field more with the new receiving weapons. It looked like they ran those routes with Moss (open deep post) and Jenkins quite a few times -- but none of the Qbs connected. Which goes to the point - practice it against real competition to see if you can really do it when it counts!

Houston pushed the ball down the field successfully on us - do you think they gave away any advantage in the upcoming season by showing it and doing it. NO.

IMO - All true
If it was the regular season, I would be concerned. If these scary injuries actually were of the season ending variety, I would be concerned. So far, it's another typical preseason. This team is still deep and very talented. I think Harbaugh is keeping things close to the vest as always, so I think they will be fine.
Originally posted by HearstFan:

They did most of their damage against our backups. Hell they could barely move the ball against our first team and both starting olbs were down
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
It's taking some fans longer than others to get used to Harbaugh.

Everyone will understand eventually.

Originally posted by Ballistic:
concerned in preseason?

injuries perhaps, but cmon

I agree with this, injuries is my concern. Preseason games not so much. Of course we all like to see the offense look like a well oiled machine, but I tend to look at the individual position. How they look in certain situations.
Really... People are concerned? We were horrible last preseason. It's preseason. If we needed to win games we would have... Plus the defense was missing two of our top pass rushers
If we were getting hammered in the preseason then I'd be concerned. But we were actually ahead of Houston on the road until they seemed to WANT to score against our 2nd team defence!

Last year they hammered us on our field. I love the running game so far. The difference between the old coaching staff and Harbaugh is the creativity. Having the balls to pick up the first down on third and long is impressive.

The only real concern I have is the OL pass protection. Alex will naturally take the blame off the OL but...

He is lucky he didn't end up with a destroyed shoulder/decapitated again; it's not like Roman/Solari didn't know the Texans had 7 sacks coming into to that game. Smith takes some BRUTAL hits. OL don't play through the whistle and this has been a perpetual problem all last year as well with only one change to the lineup (RG). Horrendous. This OL gave up 44 sacks but also lead the league in sacks/pressures/hits under 3 seconds. To see what a real pass protection line looks like, ask yourself if Schaub was even touched that game. Imagine if Alex had their OL and faith in his (consistent) OL. All those new toys (Moss, Manningham, Jenkins, James, Reuland plus VD, Crabtree, Miller, Gore, etc.) would be fun to play with. This team BETTER be concerned! It's a perpetual problem now and we have no real depth at T now that Harbaugh wants Boone to stay (concentrate) at RG.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
The only real concern I have is the OL pass protection. Alex will naturally take the blame off the OL but...

He is lucky he didn't end up with a destroyed shoulder/decapitated again; it's not like Roman/Solari didn't know the Texans had 7 sacks coming into to that game. Smith takes some BRUTAL hits. OL don't play through the whistle and this has been a perpetual problem all last year as well with only one change to the lineup (RG). Horrendous. This OL gave up 44 sacks but also lead the league in sacks/pressures/hits under 3 seconds. To see what a real pass protection line looks like, ask yourself if Schaub was even touched that game. Imagine if Alex had their OL and faith in his (consistent) OL. All those new toys (Moss, Manningham, Jenkins, James, Reuland plus VD, Crabtree, Miller, Gore, etc.) would be fun to play with. This team BETTER be concerned! It's a perpetual problem now and we have no real depth at T now that Harbaugh wants Boone to stay (concentrate) at RG.
good post. i have worries about the ol. I refuse to think just cuz we got rid of two bad players last year,, that means we are automatically better. that is just wrong. it took them 3/4 of the season last year just to play respectable and they better not start out that way again, nc is spot on. we were bad last year. we lost two bad players and it sounds like they still have no solution to the Rg thing. I am glad they signed davis but people who say they are not worried are just whistling past the end zone in my opinion. again alex took the blame and lots of people like to actually blame alex for the lines poor play but its a problem so do not bury your head in the sand,, Thank you very very much NC for bringing this to the attention of the zone
  • dmax
  • Veteran
not even worried
Originally posted by NCommand:

Aside from some obvious one-on-one OL fails in the past, our latest issues stem more from this zone blocking. Iupati has always been weaker in this area, and frankly, all seem to struggle from time to time with not only knowing who to block, but switching off fast enough and playing through the whistle. Against the Vikes, our starters were nearly flawless (except Iupati once, IIRC) in knowing who to pick up... and that was a huge improvement. This game, they mostly still knew who to block but their movements were either a fraction late or they were struggling with traffic.

(not sure if all of that made sense... I don't sleep enough)
Didn't we get blown out by the Texans last year in pre season? After pre season, some predicted 6-10 or worse.

We talkin bout pre season.
Share 49ersWebzone