LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Anyone else concerned

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
that we're still not pushing the ball down the field with the passing game? I was hoping with an upgrade in the WR postion that we would start pushing the ball down the field some but it sure does not look that way.

No, because I never expected them too. ANyone who thinks the Niners are going to drastically open up the passing game never watched Harbaugh at Stanford.

The point to siging those players wasn't to change the philosophy. It was to simply be BETTER at throwing deep when they chose to.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Aside from some obvious one-on-one OL fails in the past, our latest issues stem more from this zone blocking. Iupati has always been weaker in this area, and frankly, all seem to struggle from time to time with not only knowing who to block, but switching off fast enough and playing through the whistle. Against the Vikes, our starters were nearly flawless (except Iupati once, IIRC) in knowing who to pick up... and that was a huge improvement. This game, they mostly still knew who to block but their movements were either a fraction late or they were struggling with traffic.

(not sure if all of that made sense... I don't sleep enough)
in the regular season they can not afford to be good one game and awfull the next game
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
No, because I never expected them too. ANyone who thinks the Niners are going to drastically open up the passing game never watched Harbaugh at Stanford.

The point to siging those players wasn't to change the philosophy. It was to simply be BETTER at throwing deep when they chose to.

and they do not know the true nature of the west coast offense which is what we are supposed to be running this year. short 10 or 15 yard passes, hope to get some yards after the catch and use our backs and tight ends. this is not air Harbaugh . good job marvin
Originally posted by cciowa:
Aside from some obvious one-on-one OL fails in the past, our latest issues stem more from this zone blocking. Iupati has always been weaker in this area, and frankly, all seem to struggle from time to time with not only knowing who to block, but switching off fast enough and playing through the whistle. Against the Vikes, our starters were nearly flawless (except Iupati once, IIRC) in knowing who to pick up... and that was a huge improvement. This game, they mostly still knew who to block but their movements were either a fraction late or they were struggling with traffic.

in the regular season they can not afford to be good one game and awfull the next game

For realz.. I'm worried about Alex getting broken as well.

I don't trust this "new and improved" Anthony Davis in pass pro yet. All of them are capable of blowing that one crucial block.. but I'm sure any team can say that. Still for me... our OL is the biggest question mark... and the one aspect I felt all along would make or break our SB dreams.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Aug 20, 2012 at 9:47 AM ]
PRESEAON
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rocket4989:
PRESEAON

true but as oldman and NC have said,, you better be concerned about the line, pre season or not
Originally posted by Marvin49:

and they do not know the true nature of the west coast offense which is what we are supposed to be running this year. short 10 or 15 yard passes, hope to get some yards after the catch and use our backs and tight ends. this is not air Harbaugh . good job marvin

said this awhile back..and was called a troll?

It's going to be up to our Defense again this year
Originally posted by NCommand:
The only real concern I have is the OL pass protection. Alex will naturally take the blame off the OL but...

He is lucky he didn't end up with a destroyed shoulder/decapitated again; it's not like Roman/Solari didn't know the Texans had 7 sacks coming into to that game. Smith takes some BRUTAL hits. OL don't play through the whistle and this has been a perpetual problem all last year as well with only one change to the lineup (RG). Horrendous. This OL gave up 44 sacks but also lead the league in sacks/pressures/hits under 3 seconds. To see what a real pass protection line looks like, ask yourself if Schaub was even touched that game. Imagine if Alex had their OL and faith in his (consistent) OL. All those new toys (Moss, Manningham, Jenkins, James, Reuland plus VD, Crabtree, Miller, Gore, etc.) would be fun to play with. This team BETTER be concerned! It's a perpetual problem now and we have no real depth at T now that Harbaugh wants Boone to stay (concentrate) at RG.
good post. i have worries about the ol. I refuse to think just cuz we got rid of two bad players last year,, that means we are automatically better. that is just wrong. it took them 3/4 of the season last year just to play respectable and they better not start out that way again, nc is spot on. we were bad last year. we lost two bad players and it sounds like they still have no solution to the Rg thing. I am glad they signed davis but people who say they are not worried are just whistling past the end zone in my opinion. again alex took the blame and lots of people like to actually blame alex for the lines poor play but its a problem so do not bury your head in the sand,, Thank you very very much NC for bringing this to the attention of the zone

Everyone wants to see us air it out, "evolve" in year 2 of 3 of the WCO offense, utilize all these new weapons, etc. BUT if the pass protection issues are shored up, NONE of the aforementioned is possible.

I know last year they had a stretch where they only gave up 7 sacks in 6 games but we also need to remember that we were in max-protection (one real receiving option) with RB's staying in, extra TE's and OL blocking and Alex is a very mobile guy himself so we need to keep perspective here; this isn't ONE pre season game.

In the Texans game, again, it looked like Ginn was Alex's only real comfort receiver (great adlib hookup BTW). The Texans didn't even play Watts either, right?

So until I see Alex sitting back there in a comfort zone on a consistent basis picking defenses apart, I'll remain "concerned."

I don't trust this "new and improved" Anthony Davis in pass pro yet. All of them are capable of blowing that one crucial block.. but I'm sure any team can say that. Still for me... our OL is the biggest question mark... and the one aspect I felt all along would make or break our SB dreams.

Made total sense to me esp. re: the key factor is making it to the Superbowl. No question we have the talent and depth this year.

My thoughts exactly.

Signed,

AI

• cciowa
  • Veteran

Made total sense to me esp. re: the key factor is making it to the Superbowl. No question we have the talent and depth this year.
yes. to think we are actually better due to the loss of two players is illogical. people said we were going to be a great team under MIke S as compared to Nolan because of "coaching". how did that turn out?

yes. to think we are actually better due to the loss of two players is illogical. people said we were going to be a great team under MIke S as compared to Nolan because of "coaching". how did that turn out?

They did get better, Mike was a life coach
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
that we're still not pushing the ball down the field with the passing game? I was hoping with an upgrade in the WR postion that we would start pushing the ball down the field some but it sure does not look that way.

Concerned about the oline, yeah. How do you take shots downfield when your QB is about to take a shot or taking a shot?
I couldn't agree more, he was getting killed. We have go to make changes in our OLine, Coaches, Players, I dont know but something.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

Concerned about the oline, yeah. How do you take shots downfield when your QB is about to take a shot or taking a shot?
I couldn't agree more, he was getting killed. We have go to make changes in our OLine, Coaches, Players, I dont know but something.

Wow, Didn't Alex say that those Sacks and Hits were his faut?...
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
I think we're going vanilla because of the preseason, and to agree with sus and iowa, you cant expect Alex Smith to become Dante Culpepper overnight, and in the WC offense you gotta establish the underneath stuff first before you blow the top off the coverage with double moves.

I agree with this.

There is a lot of confusion right now. The line played incredible. Smith stepped into most of the sacks because he couldn't see anybody open so he tried to scramble.
I think we'll get it fixed once we start to game plan.
Anthony Davis looks 300% improved. Alex Boone is 4000% better than what we had at RG last year. Iupati looks great but he has actually been our worst lineman this preseason.
The run blocking is epic, and the pass blocking is dramatically better.

Next week, when we game plan a little, I think we will see some more offense open up.
Share 49ersWebzone