LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Anyone else concerned

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
A few thoughts related to the topic:

- EVERY year the defenses are ahead of the offenses all through TC

- EVERY year the running game develops more quickly than the passing game...because it is less complex.

- this game was a better learning experience for the 49ers than Houston because the 49ers can now evaluate their OL against a VERY good defense. Houston not so much because Aldon and Brooks did not play. This game reminded me a bit of the NO pre-season game last year.

- I'm quite certain that, barring injury, Harbaugh and staff could fill the 53 man roster right now based on what they have seen in practice and these two games. At best they would not change more than 1 or 2 players. The only question is which ones will they try to slip through waivers to the practice squad and which will have to go to the 53.

- the offense is going to be much improved over last season. Receivers were getting open against a pretty good secondary.

REMINDER: It is PRACTICE TIME. Harbaugh showed far less than Kubiak for a reason. Kubiak needed to see if his team could play against a top notch team. Harbaugh already knows his team can play. Harbaugh managed this game very well. He had a chance to look at the best Houston could offer without exposing his best for more than just a couple of cameos. HARBAUGH = WINNAH! (don't mean to be a homer but that is the way I see it)
No
Everything Vanilla for now.....don't want to give any tips for game one of the regular season where we lay a beating on the Packers!!!
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
What led you to this conclusion?

probably the exotic blitz packages they were bringing every single down alex played...

They bring those blitz packages because there is no fear of #11 beating them with their arm. The second Kaep came in, still playing the first string defense the blitzing slowed down. I'm just saying, #11 is one dimensional and that dimension is a 4-5 yard dump off and once in a blue moon something like a seem route. He would rather hit the safe pass underneath than try something bold. It sucks to have a QB like that, boring football to watch.

You are so wrong it's scary.

Forgive my criticism of #11 but do you deem him above average? I'm just sayin. I love the 49ers, always have, always will but the qb position has been below average for about 8 years. Defense has been stout for a while, elite last year but according to most nfl commentators not on the zone seem the qb position the "weakest link"

Not trying to pile on. But just for sake of discussion -- on the 1st or 2nd drive -- can't remember... Smith beat the blitz with a quick screen to Hunter. Hunter caught the ball with blockers in front and lots of room to roam in front of him, but he got tripped up by a defender at the last second with a reaching arm tackle. Would have been a huge gain. We are doing a lot better on screens since ...I can't remember.
Forgive my criticism of #11 but do you deem him above average? I'm just sayin. I love the 49ers, always have, always will but the qb position has been below average for about 8 years. Defense has been stout for a while, elite last year but according to most nfl commentators not on the zone seem the qb position the "weakest link"

Lol, we had nobody last year at the wideout. Nothing Smith did/didn't do would have made any difference with us winning a championship. We won 13 games with him dude and just missed the superbowl because of a fumble and a bad refs call. Nothing to do with Smith...Dumb and lazy analysis by you, as usual.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Not trying to pile on. But just for sake of discussion -- on the 1st or 2nd drive -- can't remember... Smith beat the blitz with a quick screen to Hunter. Hunter caught the ball with blockers in front and lots of room to roam in front of him, but he got tripped up by a defender at the last second with a reaching arm tackle. Would have been a huge gain. We are doing a lot better on screens since ...I can't remember.

Yeah... play would have gone for good yardage if not for AD and to some extent Boone not sustaining their blocks.
Uh, no. This was the 2nd preseason game...while we pulled our starters early, Houston didn't (for whatever reason). They also have a good starting defense. The killer in this game was the long punt return. I don't think I'd want to be on ST's this week...Coach Seeley will practice them 'til they're ready to drop. I'm going to the Denver-Niner game at Mile High...I'll give a report afterwards. Should see both teams' starters for maybe the 1st half, should be fun.
The Offensive Line is excellent in the run game, not so much in the passing game. Why? They have the size and athleticism. It could be the offense has not been diverse enough especially with the short preseason last year and the lack of wide-outs. Everything will come together, no doubt.
i hope we are burned and exposed as much as possible in the preseason. look what happened last year after the saints blitzed the crap out of us last year. they took that anger out on everyone and rode it to 13-3 and a couple flukie plays from the superbowl
The starting units were against each other for two offensive series each. In spite of blitz pick-up problems and no pass rush the game was tied 3-3 and the 49ers had out gained Houston 97 yards to 54 during that period. It was sloppy but they held their own. No worries.

You have been watching 0.01% of the playbook to this point. Notice all of the underneath routes Moss ran last game? It's all by design. If the long ball is going to make a return this year, it'll do so by catching teams by surprise early.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Uh, no. This was the 2nd preseason game...while we pulled our starters early, Houston didn't (for whatever reason). They also have a good starting defense. The killer in this game was the long punt return. I don't think I'd want to be on ST's this week...Coach Seeley will practice them 'til they're ready to drop. I'm going to the Denver-Niner game at Mile High...I'll give a report afterwards. Should see both teams' starters for maybe the 1st half, should be fun.

I don't have the stats to prove it, but it seemed to me we were dominating time of possession in the late first quarter and much of the second. I think Kubiak hadn't seen enough out of his first teamers on offense.
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
You have been watching 0.01% of the playbook to this point. Notice all of the underneath routes Moss ran last game? It's all by design. If the long ball is going to make a return this year, it'll do so by catching teams by surprise early.

Not only that but Alex and the receivers probably need a little more time to get their timing right. I'm no worried but if we're having these problems in week 6 I will be.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
that we're still not pushing the ball down the field with the passing game? I was hoping with an upgrade in the WR postion that we would start pushing the ball down the field some but it sure does not look that way.

WCO. Short to intermediate passing. But I feel what your saying.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
that we're still not pushing the ball down the field with the passing game? I was hoping with an upgrade in the WR postion that we would start pushing the ball down the field some but it sure does not look that way.

did you really think we would come out slinging the ball?that is not the west coast way. we are also not going to show our cards to everyone early. You need to realize closed practice is where we work on the important stuff in terms of the x and o. games are just a way to evaluate players. what we run is not important in pre season. to take anything important out of pre season games and to draw conclusions is not logical

Agree. I do believe Harbaugh and staff is using the games to gauge and learn about the younger players. All of the exciting stuff will be released on teams during the regular season.
Share 49ersWebzone