There are 242 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

• rserda
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Well lets say Alex gets benched due to poor play. Who would you want then? This may have been addressed but to me that makes things a little different. The edge might go back to Kaepernick in that case seeing how I think in the long run he has more to offer than Tolzien. I think Tolzien would make a great QB for a couple games but I just don't think he has enough all around "talent" to be a 1st string QB day in and day out. Obviously just my opinion but I there is a reason he was undrafted

I also think maybe you go with Johnson seeing how he's the most experienced.

And why would Alex get benched due to poor play? Stop hating
  • ACUK
  • Veteran
Having only watched Tolzien in the chargers and vikings games, I have been impressed with him, more impressed with him than what I have seen of CK, I hope to see the some more progress being made from Tolzien in the next few preseason games and just hope that we hang onto him.
I am not a big CK fan at the moment and not sure how much he is going to develop passing in the pocket, at the moment I am seeing a thinner, taller Tebow.

My ideal would be:

1st Smith
2nd Tolzien
3rd Johnson

Trade Kaepernick
Originally posted by Fricker:
Anyone else realize people here are comparing any of these QBs to Alex Smith.. Like is it just me or do i want any of the 3 QBs to work on being better than Alex Smith.. Alex Smith = Settling

Parantly it is just you
Originally posted by Fricker:
Anyone else realize people here are comparing any of these QBs to Alex Smith.. Like is it just me or do i want any of the 3 QBs to work on being better than Alex Smith.. Alex Smith = Settling

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The real question is Kaepernick vs JJ for 3rd string.

This
Yes. I seems like Kap's athletic skills carried him in college, he seems to be progressing very slowly on the mental skills needed to make it in the NFL. He might not ever have what it takes to be successful in the NFL.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The real question is Kaepernick vs JJ for 3rd string.

other than playing for harbaugh and really spinning the ball i just don't see the big interest in johnson,he was horrible in tampa
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
JJ seems not to be destined to make the roster unless we carry 4 QBS, which is highly improbable.

We have no QB who can be considered atrocious. All 2nd tier QBs at best.

I said it when we first signed him, and I'm saying it again. Josh johnson was siged to create competition. He will be cut. I have no doubt in my mind.
Originally posted by rserda:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Well lets say Alex gets benched due to poor play. Who would you want then? This may have been addressed but to me that makes things a little different. The edge might go back to Kaepernick in that case seeing how I think in the long run he has more to offer than Tolzien. I think Tolzien would make a great QB for a couple games but I just don't think he has enough all around "talent" to be a 1st string QB day in and day out. Obviously just my opinion but I there is a reason he was undrafted

I also think maybe you go with Johnson seeing how he's the most experienced.

And why would Alex get benched due to poor play? Stop hating

Whoa, whoa, whoa there buddy, I'm a huge Alex fan. Been watching him since his days at Utah(Go Utes). All I was saying was "if" he comes out and doesn't get it done. I may be a huge Alex fan but I'm smart enough to know the guy hasn't proven anything yet. One year of decency doesn't mean you are a great QB. If he still struggles in certain areas there is no reason to keep him around any longer. Again I'm pretty positive he is the future of this franchise, but there is still a chance he comes out and struggles.
the competition here is between Johnson and Tolzien where I believe Tolzien comes out the victor. Josh Johnson is a poor mans Kaepernick lol
I think Tolzien should be in the talk for the #2 spot. The west coast offense relies on a quick, timely delivery of the football, both CK and JJ are scramblers and improvisors. It showed a great deal about our coaching staff that they ran plays, and used formations to take advantage of the scramblers, but with ST in the game they could be more methodical, more dependable, that's the kind of look and feel that coaches like from the offense.

Originally posted by 559_er:
Originally posted by Ballistic:
thread title should be Tolzien vs Kap for #2 position

This.
Agreed! Tolzien played pretty good for playing it. He can plays the offense scores!
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Agreed! Tolzien played pretty good for playing it. He can plays the offense scores!

Dafuc???lol
If we end up cutting Tolzien I would be PISSED. He has done nothing but show he can lead an offense. If he were drafted where Kaepernick was we would be talking about Tolzein as our future franchise qb. The truth is you just can't cut a young qb that has shown nothing but positive signs. Josh Johnson has had several years to prove it in the NFL and while I think he is a great backup option for many teams he wouldn't be an upgrade pver Tolzein at this moment and Tolzein only has the chance to get better. The fact that he has done so well with so little experience in the NFL is a great sign. At the very least I think Tolzein can be one of the best backup quarterbacks in the NFL, there is no reason to cut a player like that.
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Aug 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM ]
In two games he has shown more of the illusive "IT" factor than everyone else except Alex on a great day. You just have feeling when he is out there that he is in command of the game. That's rare and very rare for someone with two NFL appearances. We all sense there may be a very big diamond in the rough with Scott. If Harbaugh is the coach I think he is, we will see more of him earlier in the next few games to see if the trend continues. Just can't see any reason to keep Johnson. We have two second year players with more upside and probably better right now.
My feelings are same as last yr, Kap has bigger paycheck, so normally one would think he would get the #2 slot. But he wasn't ready last yr for NFL and this yr seems slow in recognition. Tolz was NFL ready last yr and again this one.

So how could Kap start? Well the guy runs like a deer, and is 6''4". I would like to see him get some reps at TE or as a 6'4" WR....situational usage, eg, 3rd down, RZ. I think he is a long way from starting in Nfl and Tolz would start if alex weren't here. Johnson, I agree that he was brot in to stir up competition, altho i think Coach was just curious as to how he really played under his tutelage. Answer? Not well enough.

Maybe in another yr, Kap will warrant being picked #2. But my guess is he just isn't good enough for nfl starter, but has loads of talent. Recognition of who is open, the pass rush, and D sets aren't his forte. I'd say trade him, but my bet is he won't bring more than a 7th rd pick. Soo....back to paragraph 2: Can he catch the ball, and run routes?