LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

QB depth chart after 4th preseason game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Totally agree. I've been a fan of his for a while and he is head over heels a better QB Than JJ. Does he have a better future at QB than Kap? I have no idea.

Bottom line - if Alex went out I would want Tolzein coming in.
im glad someone else feels the same about Tolzien as i do. everyone thought he would be a PS player in the off season and i always said don't over look him he could be our number 2. He did play better than i thought he would but im not surprised . kap still has a long ways to go imo
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I know... what a silly head. There's no way that could happen. That's like thinking Alex Smith could make a 30 yard TD run against a first team defense.... It would never happen.

First of all I agree with your assessment of the depth chart.

Secondly, there are these people who are discounting his performance because of him playing "against 3rd stringers." That is the most illogically stupid argument that anyone can make. He also has 3rd stringers around him and is himself, playing well amongst 3rd stringers. What the f**k else would you have him do to prove that he's good? NOT play good?
called it a long time ago. Tolzien is just more pro ready. Doesnt mean Kaep wont, or cant become the better QB. Told everyone not to count Tolzien out.
Hopefully he and Kaep get the roster spots and JJ gets the axe.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Tolzien is always #1 for me.

Honestly if you just went on accuracy, pocket presense and performance I could see Tolzien start. Obviously it's the big running joke on the WZ. Tolzien "God" etc. But put the joke away. And watch him play. He's really good. And has better pocket awarness and accuracy than anybody we have.

Well said, SanDiego. If Tolzien was last years second round pick people would be jazzed about last nights performance. I think it just mentally tough to get over the fact he was a UDFA (or something like that) and clearly should be ahead of Kaep on the depth chart. Kap is a freak of an athlete, but he's far more like Tim Tebow than a legit pocket passer.

Alex looked really good, but he's been in the league 8 years now. Tolzien looks like he could become something special, if given enough time. I can't wait to see what this dude looks like in a year or two under Harbaugh. He just gets it.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by English:
Pre-season Game 1.

Just saying.

Well, just typing, anyway....

I know people love to analyze the QB position, but it's just too early right now. Sample size is way too small and the situations of each QB are not equal.

I actually think all the QBs did pretty well. I'm not unhappy with what I saw. I'm not super excited, either.

What I do know is that I'm not worried about it. I trust Jim Harbaugh.

Spot on Wodwo.
Wow more dilusional so called fans dismissing any qb with talent who doesn't have a white face. Any white qb who can nail 10 and 15 yard passes against third stringers are the second coming of Montana. Kaepernick clearly has the tangibles to take us to a whole new level. Just accept it we don't have time for projects we need rings now. You need a qb with legs that can scare you it brings different plans that opposing teams will be unprepared for. Kaepernick is accurate and can move since our line isn't dependable on all cylinders. Come time for blitz we need a qb who can move and move quick and still make the first and more himself or throwing it.
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Wow more dilusional so called fans dismissing any qb with talent who doesn't have a white face. Any white qb who can nail 10 and 15 yard passes against third stringers are the second coming of Montana. Kaepernick clearly has the tangibles to take us to a whole new level. Just accept it we don't have time for projects we need rings now. You need a qb with legs that can scare you it brings different plans that opposing teams will be unprepared for. Kaepernick is accurate and can move since our line isn't dependable on all cylinders. Come time for blitz we need a qb who can move and move quick and still make the first and more himself or throwing it.

Wow...just wow. This post is wrong on so many levels.

Of course somebody had to slip race into the discussion... somehow? Your post made a lot of points here, none of them good.

Disagree with virtually every word, especially the first two sentences.

You totally endorse Kap but say we dont have time for projects. Lmao.
Tolzien looks like a WCO QB. I liked him from the start, he has the smarts, good pocket presence. He should be the number 2 QB after this game. Still need to see CK and JJ more.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
tolzein reminds me of dalton, only better.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Of course somebody had to slip race into the discussion... somehow? Your post made a lot of points here, none of them good.

It definitely isn't a race thing (during the offseason many wanted JJ over CK) although I think I see what he's saying.

A lot of fans have this idea in their head about what winning looks like. I've noticed over the year a significant percentage of fans prefer a traditional drop back and pass QB a well as a QB with a traditional over the top throwing motion (a lot of these kinds of QBs are white- Warner, Mannings, Brady, Brees).

Kaep is unconventional, electric and a bit inconsistent at this point in his career. He plays best outside of the pocket, on the move, making the defense decide whether or not to hold their zones or rush up to stop Kaep (a lot of ppl would say he's an athletic QB, or a scrambler and many of these types of QBs are black- Vick, VY, Newton).

That's not to say there are no white athletic scrambling QBs (Tebow) or black pocket QBs (Leftwich). Obviously skin color doesnt decide what style of QB you'll be.

So, while I don't think Kaep gets undue hate just for being black, I do think he gets undue hate because he is a different style of QB.

Nate Davis sure got a lot love around here for a couple of seasons.
Share 49ersWebzone