There are 185 users in the forums

QB depth chart after 4th preseason game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 559_er:
JJ wanted sooooo badly to be reunited with Harbaugh and to have a chance to compete for the starting position with the 9ers...wonder what he's thinking now?

I'm thinking he might have figured he was going into a familiar situation. Pretty sure he didn't think he'd have this much competition with Alex Smith and a few rookies...let alone having to worry about just making the team.

when he was signed he was told alex will definitally be the starter so he knew he owuldnt be competing for the 1 spot
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
when he was signed he was told alex will definitally be the starter so he knew he owuldnt be competing for the 1 spot

If so then my mistake. Must have remembered things wrong...I thought I remember a Johnson interview though where he mentioned Harbaugh told him it would be a completely open competition??
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Really would've been a great pass from an inactive QB to a PS Wideout
Originally posted by 559_er:
If so then my mistake. Must have remembered things wrong...I thought I remember a Johnson interview though where he mentioned Harbaugh told him it would be a completely open competition??

it was open for #2 spot

Alex Smith remains the 49ers' undisputed starter.That point was made clear to free-agent quarterback Josh Johnson, who signed a two-year contract with the 49ers on Thursday, a source said.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-sign-QB-Josh-Johnson-to-two-year-d?blockID=675286&feedID=2800
like i said previouslly its easy to look real when you play 3rd team offesne against a bad secondary when teams dont gameplan for you

kolb had 2 300 yard games first time he played

troy smith had a 400 game 2 years ago

we said the same exact thing about shaun hill

when teams gameplan against you its a complete different game that included to not playing against 3rd team D

all im saying is he is definitally capable of coming in once in a while when we need him but being a full time starter is completely different

THIS!
I am corrected, sir.
[ Edited by 559_er on Aug 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Did anybody see who it was that gave up the hit? Was it Mike Person?
Dixon
Everyone is raving about Tolzien, but Harbaugh played to his QBs' strengths during the first preseason game. I suspect he will throw other things at the three backups in order to more fully evaluate them. It is way too soon to crown Tolzien as anything IMHO. Watch for JJ to be inserted before Tolzien in game #2. Whichever of those two gets more playing time in game #3 is likely going to be the #3 QB.
[ Edited by longtime49erfan on Aug 12, 2012 at 3:27 AM ]
We will see how JH sets the rotation for next week. If I were to guess, Tolz might follow AS then JJ and Kaep last. Then JJ will get his crack at following AS. This might be what JH had in mind, give JJ some time to get assimulated with the offense. The newbies are less experienced by have been with the niners at least a full season. Then in the last pre game JH will either want to give the eventual #2 lots of reps or let the two who will battle for #3 most of the reps.

Whatever the case if all continues to improve, the niners will be in a good situation and that is a good thing.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Everyone is raving about Tolzien, but Harbaugh played to his QBs' strengths during the first preseason game. I suspect he will throw other things at the three backups in order to more fully evaluate them. It is way too soon to crown Tolzien as anything IMHO. Watch for JJ to be inserted before Tolzien in game #2. Whichever of those two gets more playing time in game #3 is likely going to be the #3 QB.

Your right, it is way too soon to crown Tolzien. But when watching the game there is more to drives then just the competition he faced or the passes he made. I loved the way he took command of the huddle, made pre snap reads and showed players where to line up, for instance when AJ Jenkins the play he looked lost out there. Sure the next few games he may throw a couple more picks or show some indecisiveness, but that's expected, hard to get into a rhythm when your a reliever. I think it would be a big mistake to not keep Tolzien at least as the #3 QB another year or two, depending on the progress of Kaepernick.

I think Tolzien has shown we might....Might.... have 2 #2's on this team. Which would be a good thing
Originally posted by dj43:
Thank you. The throw was headed to the space Owuso appeared to be breaking into between the safeties, or it might have been to Dobbs, although that would have been a great catch if he made it. Still, Tolzien made the correct read and was attempting to get the ball out on time. The over-and-under set up by the receivers shows good play design that puts a lot of pressure on the LBs to drop and the safeties to make the correct adjustment. In this case, Owuso has beaten the left safety to the inside and the right safety appears to have committed to help the LB underneath. It looks like an accurate throw nets a TD to Owuso. I like the way Roman/Harbaugh set this up. We will see it again. Good stuff!

Originally posted by Afrikan:
got my answer, thankx qnnhan7

do you have the NFL Replay thing? with coach cam stuff...I couldn't find that good of a view anywhere else.

Competent offensive OC .... Been a while

I do have NFL Rewind and Preseason but no coaches' cam option for me. I really don't want to be that much of a football geek. The image was from the game when Tim Ryan(?) broke down Tolzien's 2 consecutive plays. Would have been a nice TD for Tolzien and Owusu.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM ]
Kaep is the #2 for anther week.
I notice everyone is quiet now. Kaep is number 2 and like I said your man crush Nate Davis I mean Shaun Hill I mean Jto I mean Tolzien will be cut or put on practice squad in next 3 weeks lmao u jackasses dont know nothin lmao. Namin starters off a 3rd quarter preseason performance. smh
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
like i said previouslly its easy to look real when you play 3rd team offesne against a bad secondary when teams dont gameplan for you

kolb had 2 300 yard games first time he played

troy smith had a 400 game 2 years ago

we said the same exact thing about shaun hill

when teams gameplan against you its a complete different game that included to not playing against 3rd team D

all im saying is he is definitally capable of coming in once in a while when we need him but being a full time starter is completely different

THIS!

Exactly, imagine the Ravens first string D out there. Recievers wouldnt be running wide open and dink and dunk checkdowns wouldnt cut it. You've got to do more than just "have a good grip on the offense" in those situations...its what seperates good players from Great ones.
Share 49ersWebzone