LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

QB depth chart after 4th preseason game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Smith: He looked solid last night and continued where he left off last year. Made some nice dinks and dunks. Except he made a great backdoor throw to a scrub in the endzone. It was dangeous, i like that. But that play where he scrambled I didn't. He needs to step up and throw the ball there after avoiding the initial rush.

Kaep: He played against the 1s and 2s and did pretty good. Although he made some poor throws, he also made some nice ones. And lets not forget that run.

Tolzien: He looked good against guys who are not going to make teams in the NFL. Some of those throws he made, while standing in the pocket, are going to be picked off against NFL starters.

Kaep's run, while great highlight material, did not show us anything we didn't already know. The best play he made, and one that did show some progress, was the roll out completion to Jenkins. However, and not to be negative, that too was something we already knew he could do. What he still has not shown is the presence to stay in the pocket, make the correct read and throw the ball on time. So while we hope that comes in time, and this is still very early, he has not shown he is close the NFL ready yet.

Tolzien: Yes, it was against scrubs but the most impressive thing about him was the fact he was on time with the receivers. That sense of timing will not change with the level of competition. One must first know and trust the receivers in order to complete the pass, and he did that repeatedly last night. He is clearly the better choice of the two AT THIS POINT.
Originally posted by dj43:
Smith: He looked solid last night and continued where he left off last year. Made some nice dinks and dunks. Except he made a great backdoor throw to a scrub in the endzone. It was dangeous, i like that. But that play where he scrambled I didn't. He needs to step up and throw the ball there after avoiding the initial rush.

Kaep: He played against the 1s and 2s and did pretty good. Although he made some poor throws, he also made some nice ones. And lets not forget that run.

Tolzien: He looked good against guys who are not going to make teams in the NFL. Some of those throws he made, while standing in the pocket, are going to be picked off against NFL starters.

Kaep's run, while great highlight material, did not show us anything we didn't already know. The best play he made, and one that did show some progress, was the roll out completion to Jenkins. However, and not to be negative, that too was something we already knew he could do. What he still has not shown is the presence to stay in the pocket, make the correct read and throw the ball on time. So while we hope that comes in time, and this is still very early, he has not shown he is close the NFL ready yet.

Tolzien: Yes, it was against scrubs but the most impressive thing about him was the fact he was on time with the receivers. That sense of timing will not change with the level of competition. One must first know and trust the receivers in order to complete the pass, and he did that repeatedly last night. He is clearly the better choice of the two AT THIS POINT.

When the starers are playing, the timing is much quicker though. There is more to it then dropping back and hitting a WR against a #6 DB. When guys like Demarcus Ware, Jarred Allen and Clay Mathews are coming at you, his sense of timing will need to be faster. We haven't seen that yet. But from that pick he threw, his timing and pocket presence aren't that phenomenal.
Alex

Ck7

Tolzien

( not sure I'd even keep J.J. at this point... I think we are set with these three, and should maximize the backup reps between the two.. not three backups )

I'd have Ck7 and Tolzien dead even right now, and would split their practice reps and preseason action 50-50.
was it ever said why Scott got the call before Johnson?

all we heard from the media is that Johnson was ahead of Scott and was heading to pass up Kaep.

but when the real deal happened, there was Scott coming in during 3rd QTR.

it just seems like Harbaugh goes based off who was here, and if you do better you'll move up. Like, although Dixon did well last preseason, Hunter did better. Scott was here before Johnson and must've played well enough in practice to stay in the same order.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

all we heard from the media is that Johnson was ahead of Scott and was heading to pass up Kaep.

it just seems like Harbaugh goes based off who was here, and if you do better you'll move up. Like, although Dixon did well last preseason, Hunter did better. Scott was here before Johnson and must've played well enough in practice to stay in the same order.

Or maybe johnson just sucks
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Alex

Ck7

Tolzien

( not sure I'd even keep J.J. at this point... I think we are set with these three, and should maximize the backup reps between the two.. not three backups )

I'd have Ck7 and Tolzien dead even right now, and would split their practice reps and preseason action 50-50.

No, scratch that plan. I'd keep J.J. a while longer and feed him late preseason game scraps. We have to take injuries into account. (knock, knock)
100% agree with OP. CK had a full off season to digest the play book, and he looked like an option wing qb (from Nevada, haha). I think CK is good for special sitauions, but the offense would have to be revamped to his strenghts.

Tolzien is the clear number 2 and should get the practice reps.

Game day, CK should be inactive.
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Greaat, sounds like he's a better version of shaun hill but a less athletic then Jeff garcia. If that's the true case then tolziens' only good for the back up role. I thought he looked good to. D@m it.

I don't think you're wrong, but I'm also sure he's getting some good coaching and could have added some strength since his college days. He's a smart kid too, so you never know. Some QB's just have "it" and if he does get a shot in a game during the regular season some day, we may be surprised.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Tolzien is very Shaun Hill-esque....with a slightly better arm. I think if Alex goes down, I would be more comfortable with Tolzien playing the "dont turn the ball over, dont take many chances, let the D win the game" type offense (that Alex ran last year) than Kaepernick.

But with that said, I think Kaep has the most long term potential on the team....he just doesnt appear ready. While Kaep could develop into something special, Tolzien appears to be what he is....a solid backup NFL quarterback.

seems pretty fair at this point

Inclined to agree.
Originally posted by 9erred:
100% agree with OP. CK had a full off season to digest the play book, and he looked like an option wing qb (from Nevada, haha). I think CK is good for special sitauions, but the offense would have to be revamped to his strenghts.

Tolzien is the clear number 2 and should get the practice reps.

Game day, CK should be inactive.

And you don't already see this happening? I mean, Kap wasn't running plays that he drew in the dirt...he looked like an option-wing QB because those were the plays that were primarily called for him by the coach. As I've said in other posts, I don't know to what extent the offense is being revamped (all or just some), but it's clear that these new plays are geared to fit Colin's strengths.

• dj43

When the starers are playing, the timing is much quicker though. There is more to it then dropping back and hitting a WR against a #6 DB. When guys like Demarcus Ware, Jarred Allen and Clay Mathews are coming at you, his sense of timing will need to be faster. We haven't seen that yet. But from that pick he threw, his timing and pocket presence aren't that phenomenal.

WOW! Did you actually watch the game? The pick was the result of Michael Person getting beat quickly and the defender hitting Tolzien just as he released the ball to a defender that appeared to be coming open. Tolzien's drop and attempted release were on time. What wasn't on time was Person getting beat so quickly. There is a difference.

Also, the QB's job is to hit the receiver ON TIME. Tolzien did that. The receiver beat the DB, got open and ST hit him ON TIME. It is about the timing between the QB and the receiver. Of course, if the receiver is not open the QB will not throw it so the timing matter is moot = the throw is not made.
WOW! Did you actually watch the game? The pick was the result of Michael Person getting beat quickly and the defender hitting Tolzien just as he released the ball to a defender that appeared to be coming open. Tolzien's drop and attempted release were on time. What wasn't on time was Person getting beat so quickly. There is a difference.

Also, the QB's job is to hit the receiver ON TIME. Tolzien did that. The receiver beat the DB, got open and ST hit him ON TIME. It is about the timing between the QB and the receiver. Of course, if the receiver is not open the QB will not throw it so the timing matter is moot = the throw is not made.

+ 1

The RDE put a wicked inside spin move on Person and hit Tolzien as he threw the ball. There was really nothing Tolzien could do or did wrong there. The hit was in under 3 seconds and there was no hesitation or slow release to blame the QB on.
  • rserda
  • Veteran
Smith
Tolzein
Johnson/Kaep
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Or maybe johnson just sucks

How does he suck when he only threw he ball 4 times?? And didn't be have the longest completion of the night? Thought so.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

+ 1

The RDE put a wicked inside spin move on Person and hit Tolzien as he threw the ball. There was really nothing Tolzien could do or did wrong there. The hit was in under 3 seconds and there was no hesitation or slow release to blame the QB on.
I don't blame him for getting hit...but I still don't understand where he was trying to throw the ball. It seemed like the Vikes had that side covered, and the reciever was facing the middle of the field....so unless Scott was going to try to hit him with a back shoulder throw....which would've caused wr to stop momentum and turn the opposite direction... I don't know.

it looked like the Safety had good position on it anyway.

edit- here is video of the play
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Solomon-Elimimians-Interception-vs-49ers/f39c75dd-8ee0-4660-adfc-5c5a92728686
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone