There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. HOUSTON TEXANS GAMEDAY THREAD (Preseason Wk 2)

Originally posted by prometheus:
I think when the full team plays it will be much different. The one thing disturbs me is Kaep seems as not making any progress. If Tolzien had better tools to work with he would certainly do better. The OL was mismatched by too many bad players. I think in a coordinated offense Tolzien could make it work. Kaep, I think he needs a pistol offense and little else as he can't adapt. As for reserves, I feel the receivers to cut are Kyle Williams and Ginn. Keep Owusu and Palmer or Tyms. The second OL seemed disjointed as if they were unused to one another. I think the niners sorta stayed away from their successful run plays and played more for experience. I think if the 2nd OL were filled with Looney, Davis, Kilgore, Slowey, and Natter, they might play better but they had some real raw guys out there. They need to size up their reserves and cut the weak links. When Aldon, Brooks, Bakhtiari are playing along with Cam Johnson, the defense should be much stouter. I think Parys Haralson really is too slow for the job now and they need to replace Gooden with Wilhoite or Holland.

What is wrong with Kaep now? He made plenty of throws from the pocket. Moss dropped a beautiful pass down the sideline. He also had another nice run.
He hasn't thrown an interception yet in the preseason.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Watched the game again. Focused on the starting O-line. They were dominant.

The starting O-line had one bad pass pro play when Iupati was beat badly on a swim move. Everything else was nearly flawless. The pressures were a result of Hunter failing to block a LB perfectly, and I guess the rest were due to coverage down field. Anthony Davis and Alex Boone are an awesome tandem.
The starting O-line was completely dominant in the running game, they were blowing some guys 5+ yards off the ball. It was ridiculous. There was one pulling play where the DT read the play and broke into the backfield, where Boone couldn't make the block in time, stuffing the RB in the backfield. The holding penalty called on Anthony Davis (where he made a dominant block) was pure non-sense.

The O-line was easily the most dominant unit in the game.

Good stuff. That makes me want to re-watch the game to check out the o-line in pass pro. While watching live, it felt like a lot of pressure was getting to Alex. I could definitely tell that they were kicking ass in the run game. If they performed as well in pass pro, that would get me really excited.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

The starting O-line had one bad pass pro play when Iupati was beat badly on a swim move. Everything else was nearly flawless. The pressures were a result of Hunter failing to block a LB perfectly, and I guess the rest were due to coverage down field. Anthony Davis and Alex Boone are an awesome tandem.
The starting O-line was completely dominant in the running game, they were blowing some guys 5+ yards off the ball. It was ridiculous. There was one pulling play where the DT read the play and broke into the backfield, where Boone couldn't make the block in time, stuffing the RB in the backfield. The holding penalty called on Anthony Davis (where he made a dominant block) was pure non-sense.

Good stuff. That makes me want to re-watch the game to check out the o-line in pass pro. While watching live, it felt like a lot of pressure was getting to Alex. I could definitely tell that they were kicking ass in the run game. If they performed as well in pass pro, that would get me really excited.

Agreed, it felt like almost every play Alex was running for his life. I'll have to rewatch it asap. this is why I made the thread I did, that first viewing is always like this: You're too emotional and wanting to win that you don't or can't focus on the littler things.
Did anyone else notice Alex Boone look like a complete idiot on that one play where he was running like 20 yards down the field trying to pass block for Alex? What was even more idiotic is how these crap refs managed to not call illegal man downfield. Correct me if Im wrong, but I think that was an easy penalty to catch, even for highschool refs...
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Did anyone else notice Alex Boone look like a complete idiot on that one play where he was running like 20 yards down the field trying to pass block for Alex? What was even more idiotic is how these crap refs managed to not call illegal man downfield. Correct me if Im wrong, but I think that was an easy penalty to catch, even for highschool refs...

ya

f**kin idiot kept running down field on a screen play, everyone knows linemen are suppose to turn around and see if the play was run to perfection, stop, start a slow clap and then walk off the field, not keep running looking to block.

dude is a moron

i knows the footsballs
[ Edited by RonMexico on Aug 19, 2012 at 2:56 AM ]
Originally posted by Whomeam:

Agreed, it felt like almost every play Alex was running for his life. I'll have to rewatch it asap. this is why I made the thread I did, that first viewing is always like this: You're too emotional and wanting to win that you don't or can't focus on the littler things.

Very true.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

ya

f**kin idiot kept running down field on a screen play, every knows linemen are suppose to turn around and see if the play was run to perfection, stop, start a slow clap and then walk off the field, not keep running looking to block.

dude is a moron

i knows the footsballs

lulz
Originally posted by RonMexico:

ya

f**kin idiot kept running down field on a screen play, every knows linemen are suppose to turn around and see if the play was run to perfection, stop, start a slow clap and then walk off the field, not keep running looking to block.

dude is a moron

i knows the footsballs

lulz

+ 1... delicious sarcasm
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Goddamnit. 6-10. This season. Book it.

What I've learned form this game is that we're going to be plagued by injuries and teams have it out for us. Seahawks win the division. Russel Wilson looks like brilliant.

BOOOOOOOOOO
Liked where Alex threw on the run to Ginn, he's more aggressive. He should just leave the fear of INTs behind, INTs are just apart of the game sometimes. Alex is a mobile QB with better accuracy, he's good in the pocket and good on the run. Alex may have not spotted Moss for the TD, but maybe that play was designed for VD, having Moss draw a double and have VD running across. Alex showing his toughness again with being rocked by the Texan's blitzes, Saints of last preseason taking shots at Alex. I still believe Alex will have an even better year this season and has what it takes to lead us to the Super Bowl. Tyms is a big guy with speed, hope we hold onto him. Manningham was held on that almost interception play. Moss did good, just wait for the regular season, he will make a great impact in more ways than one.The injuries were unfortunate. Announcers kept talking about Bahktiari(probably incorrect spelling) noticed he was doing good along with the other 2nd stringers. Bahktiari was drawing holds, the guy can get to the QB.
Smith has more open targets downfield this season. That scramble and throw by Smith to Ginn was fantastic play by both guys. Smith threw accurately on the run taking the hit, while Ginn worked himself open for Smith to throw to. Good stuff. We've seen this type of play before from Smith but mostly to RB and VD. With better receivers, it should go further down field to them also.
REPLAY OF GAME (NFLN) IS AT NOON CT, 10 PT

ALSO ON MONDAY NIGHT 11PM CT, 9PT (NFLN)
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 19, 2012 at 7:06 AM ]
Originally posted by slidingswhiz:
Liked where Alex threw on the run to Ginn, he's more aggressive. He should just leave the fear of INTs behind, INTs are just apart of the game sometimes. Alex is a mobile QB with better accuracy, he's good in the pocket and good on the run. Alex may have not spotted Moss for the TD, but maybe that play was designed for VD, having Moss draw a double and have VD running across. Alex showing his toughness again with being rocked by the Texan's blitzes, Saints of last preseason taking shots at Alex. I still believe Alex will have an even better year this season and has what it takes to lead us to the Super Bowl. Tyms is a big guy with speed, hope we hold onto him. Manningham was held on that almost interception play. Moss did good, just wait for the regular season, he will make a great impact in more ways than one.The injuries were unfortunate. Announcers kept talking about Bahktiari(probably incorrect spelling) noticed he was doing good along with the other 2nd stringers. Bahktiari was drawing holds, the guy can get to the QB.

Nice post and it's always refreshing when you see new posters who take their time and have well thought out posts and not knee jerk reactions. It makes me think this person will be a valuable member for a long time to come instead of oh no not another one of these newbs shouting "the sky is falling" after one play.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
The Mason - Dixon line is getting old.

dixon can not even make it to the line, let alone cross it. I agree with roger ten fold
I'm gonna reserve my opinion on Dixon for right now. I've haven't got a chance to really pay attention to the game after Jacobs went down.