There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The 49ers signed G Leonard Davis

Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Yeah, I'm just objecting to the use of the term "career disappointment."

Gerard Warren, David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Jamal Reynolds and Andre Carter were also picked in the top 10 that year, and they collectively have one good season between them.

I wouldn't even call Andre Carter a "career disappointment," and he ain't had the career Davis has.

I guess that may have been a bit too harsh, but no one gets drafter number two to play guard. He failed at tackle and was a bust in AZ, after they drafted him top five, so he got moved to guard. Playing in the Dallas helps you get a lot of attention and to the pro bowl. Who knows if he would have made the pro bowl at guard in say Jacksonville.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Good. thank god the niners did something for the offensive line. i know we have "potential" there with boone but come on, we are really untested there and our draft pick has a broken foot. I had two concerns about this team and I am glad the team listened to those concerns by signing a vet safety and leonard davis. I hope the kids take those spots but it is very good to have some vets who do not cost you much money come in here and compete.i was hoping the team would sign either davis or kyle kosier. I feel so much better about those areas with the signings of the last three days.with those signings, the team agrees with many of us who thought about depth on the line and safety was thin. despite what some are saying,, boone does not have the right gaurd spot locked up. if he does, this signing would have never taken place
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
ITA. Make no mistake .... we WILL need someone to play OT this season besides Davis and Staley. Someone will be out for a critical series, game or two. As I see it this is an upgrade over Adam Snyder any way you cut it.

of course this is true! good job
This is just insurance policy in case the young ones don't pan out during TC/preseason. They can still cut him if he doesn't show anything once in pads. He was one of those that should have been moved to guard in the begining. Like so many we hear about at draft time, but a teams deserate need for a player at that position can make any team do silly things.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Davis said he is a good fit for the 49ers because of the team's affinity for running the football. Davis (6-foot-6, 375 pounds) is built to provide push in the run game.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Leonard-Davis-passes-first-tests-toward-?blockID=746783&feedID=5936

Whoa, gaurd it is....LOL

Imagine having to block Leonard Davis, Anthony Davis out in front of a 260 pound Brandon Jacobs with 330 pound Isaac Sopoaga out in front as a lead fullback!

Thats a lot of human flesh. lol

Jeezuz
Originally posted by NickV:
Davis said he is a good fit for the 49ers because of the team's affinity for running the football. Davis (6-foot-6, 375 pounds) is built to provide push in the run game.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Leonard-Davis-passes-first-tests-toward-?blockID=746783&feedID=5936

Whoa, gaurd it is....LOL

Imagine having to block Leonard Davis, Anthony Davis out in front of a 260 pound Brandon Jacobs with 330 pound Isaac Sopoaga out in front as a lead fullback!

Jeezuz

TrueV
Big boy! Let's see what he has got.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Whoa, gaurd it is....LOL

Jeezuz

TrueV

Or how bout instead of Jacobs we have small ass Lamichael James come from outta nowhere behind Davis ass cheeks and break off a long ass run.
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Whoa, gaurd it is....LOL

Jeezuz

TrueV

Or how bout instead of Jacobs we have small ass Lamichael James come from outta nowhere behind Davis ass cheeks and break off a long ass run.

you used the word ass 3 times in that sentence
Nice signing - how many 1st rounder do we have right now? I know we have 3 additions including LD.
Originally posted by globalking:
Nice signing - how many 1st rounder do we have right now? I know we have 3 additions including LD.

Nice first post.
he wont make the final roster
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
he wont make the final roster

Very much a possibility, but a good problem to have. I hope someone beats him out - but they're going to have to real good.
Eh
Back in March, I had a feeling the Niners would eventually sign Davis. I hope he has a couple good years left in him. Whether he starts will be based on a few things:

1. How well he blocks on play action passes.
2. His stamina over a whole game.
3. If he can develop a rapport with Goodwin and A. Davis to work as a team on the right side of the line.
4. Whether he has the footwork for the occasional pull, and for blocking effectively at the second level.

I think Harbaugh et al. would prefer Davis start and have Boone available to play tackle if/when one of the starters goes down (or if Boone can win a starting job at tackle outright, more power to him).