There are 398 users in the forums

The 49ers signed G Leonard Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Meh,

I would have preferred Jake Scott doe
LOVE this signing
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Seriously, this is was a smart depth/veteran signing, very happy with this. -Everybody knows this means L.Davis will replace Boone at his usual 'swing-tackle' job (with Boone running away with the RG job). Perfect for Leonard because he isn't a 3-down OG anymore, but can perform 100% when used in strict-moderation.

Jesus, our line is turning into a fully mobile walking tank...

Really? Leonard is a three time pro-bowl guard. Boone hasn't even played a single practice snap in pads.

Correction, 'was' a three time pro-bowl guard.
Seriously, this is was a smart depth/veteran signing, very happy with this. -Everybody knows this means L.Davis will replace Boone at his usual 'swing-tackle' job (with Boone running away with the RG job). Perfect for Leonard because he isn't a 3-down OG anymore, but can perform 100% when used in strict-moderation.

Jesus, our line is turning into a fully mobile walking tank...

Agreed 100%. Sweeps to the right and pulling Davis to clear the way is going to be nuts. Imagine if Jacobs is in as well...w/ Sopaga at FB in front of him.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I have mixed feelings about this one. I know Boone is untested at G, but I think he'll adjust pretty well. Plus we have some promising projects and a couple of good looking rookies we drafted. So in that way I really don't like this move. However, I do understand the move considering that G is the only question mark on the line. JH is quite consistent with forcing good play out of players up and down the roster with competition. I can't disagree with that, so in that way I like the move. So far JH's methods have worked. Now I doubt he'll beat out Boone but he"ll provide some competition. How many people think he'll make the team?

I feel this way as well. I think Boone will be fine at RG. I think, as one other person said earlier, this may be more an indication that SF plans on giving Looney a LONG time to recover and develop. Add to that, wanting Kilgore to focus more on C, so adding a backup vet to push Boone seems to be the plan.

Unless the listed weight for Leonard D is 30+ lbs off? I don't see how he can be effective in our scheme. I worry that he will be too bloated and slow to move his feet in run or pass blocks. My guess.. my hope.. is that one of the youngsters looks so good that we can go ahead and cut LD in the coming weeks. Though, if he turns out to be a stud G as starter? Hey, happy for that as well... want the best 5 OL out there.
Jonas Jennings part 2?
More of a Marvel Smith move lol. Jennings cost us like $36 million, Davis is likely at the vet minimum.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I have mixed feelings about this one. I know Boone is untested at G, but I think he'll adjust pretty well. Plus we have some promising projects and a couple of good looking rookies we drafted. So in that way I really don't like this move. However, I do understand the move considering that G is the only question mark on the line. JH is quite consistent with forcing good play out of players up and down the roster with competition. I can't disagree with that, so in that way I like the move. So far JH's methods have worked. Now I doubt he'll beat out Boone but he"ll provide some competition. How many people think he'll make the team?

I feel this way as well. I think Boone will be fine at RG. I think, as one other person said earlier, this may be more an indication that SF plans on giving Looney a LONG time to recover and develop. Add to that, wanting Kilgore to focus more on C, so adding a backup vet to push Boone seems to be the plan.

Unless the listed weight for Leonard D is 30+ lbs off? I don't see how he can be effective in our scheme. I worry that he will be too bloated and slow to move his feet in run or pass blocks. My guess.. my hope.. is that one of the youngsters looks so good that we can go ahead and cut LD in the coming weeks. Though, if he turns out to be a stud G as starter? Hey, happy for that as well... want the best 5 OL out there.

Can't agree with you more. If this guy is 370+ lbs I can't see him beating out Boone - or any other G on the roster for that matter - and I can't imagine him being used for anything other than short yardage goal line situations. He isn't gonna be one of our best 5, IF he makes the 53, or even among the best 7. I suspect he's a camp body. At best he'll provide competition.
I don't see how anyone can dislike this move or how it was even remotely unexpected.

We were always going to bring in a low cost/low risk vet to compete/teach during training camp. Whether it was one of the guys like Davis who hadn't been picked up yet because of injury issues or someone who got cut later due to salary cap restrictions (could still happen), we definatley needed a vet presense to compete with the rooks and with Boone who is learning a new position.

If nothing else, this is paying Davis for a couple months of tutoring Boone as he helps him transition to G during TC.

Best case scenario, he proves he has something left in the tank and is either the starter or a solid backup to give Boone some breathing room to keep learning throughout the season. Even if Boone is the starter, maybe he doesn't have to play every down in every package if he struggles with pass protection but is better at run blocking (just as a theoretical example) and Davis maybe shows enough to come in a pass block on 3rd and long to give Boone a break.

It's a no lose scenario and one that was unquestionably coming at some point given our RG situation.
Leonard is a good run blocker. Worst comes to worst he provides great depth at the guard position rather than throwing the rookies to the wolves. I do think, however, Looney will eventually be a stud at right guard. Staley/Iupati/Goodwin/Looney/Davis we're set up for years. Hopefully Kilgore or Slowey will take over for Goodwin eventually. Slowey is a pancake machine, even though it was against DII "talent".

Originally posted by NCommand:
Totally, this is what I was saying all along...don't assume Boone will be the RG; this coaching staff would most likely bring in a veteran and Alex will have to step up and keep the courtesy 1st shot or go back to swing T and Kilgore and a vet would battle out the starter spot and backup and Boone learned an additional skill/versatility.

Yup. What happens if Boone gets hurt? Who backs up OT? If I remember correctly Boone played reasonably well at OT last year. I'd hate to see that insurance get lost.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Correction, 'was' a three time pro-bowl guard.
a former pro bowler vs a untested person and a bunch of potential in a vital area of our team. i for one am glad they added a former pro bowler
He should be healthy and ready to rock and sock em on opening day

The guy is a beast, even if he is on the downside of his career, he is still better than a lot of the other available RG free agents, plus he is freakish strong and I'm sure Anthony Davis will have more confidence playing next to Davis and become even more of a mean nasty RT with big Leonard on his team

I like this move, it allows us to use Boone as an extra TE in the big packages, along with other options at blocking FB (Soap, Cowboy, Turk) ...this has the potential to be a very versatile offense , we can go BIG, or use Multiple receivers and use our speed, it's going to be a fun season watching our team smash some fools
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:
Agreed 100%. Sweeps to the right and pulling Davis to clear the way is going to be nuts. Imagine if Jacobs is in as well...w/ Sopaga at FB in front of him.

just do not put justin smith in to block ever again
Go ahead and laugh at Roger Craig's comment that La Michael is going to get lost behind these behemoths on 3rd downs or goal line, maybe 3rd down in RZ. Yeah it's funny, but that kid behind our huge guys is literally going to disappear, and anybody who has watched him knows he can go from zero to 60 in a blink of the eye. My bet is we see exactly that, our massive guys run blocking , La michael with the ball, and nobody on D knows where the hell he is until he scores. That is very likely to happen...and not just once either. Then after showing that , go to same formation and drop a bomb to moss, mario, AJ, delanie, or vernon on other side of the field.
Nah, this signing is just a stroke of brilliance, that nobody....nobody thot of....except Coach and Baalke. Cool move, really cool.
Share 49ersWebzone