There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The 49ers signed G Leonard Davis

Originally posted by Sinsation:
if he's at all servicable, it'll be good. I'm sure he'll be better than Chilo. It'll be good depth...Plus, i bet LH will figure out a way to really confuse ppl with jumbo OL/TE packages.

Cant agree with that more.
Weren't we gonna sign this guy last year to sit behind Snyder? -Still would have been better insurance in the Ravens game over Chilo.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
...and the 49ers add YET ANOTHER 1st round pick to the O-Line and ANOTHER top 11 drafted player to the Roster (L.Davis, V. Davis, A. Davis, Whitner, Alex Smith, Ginn, Crabtree, J. Smith, Aldon Smith, Rogers, Willis).

Not that it means anything...just interesting. If you simply go by 1st round picks, you can add Moss, Jenkins, Staley, and Iupati.

I was going to create a thread on this topic, but then got lazy....

If you just went down our roster you be amazed at how many first rounders we have on it. If you were drafted in the first round, you have talent. Usually 1st round busts flop out because they are lazy or put in the wrong circumstance. In some cases, it just takes a while for the light to go on (Rogers, Whitner, V.Davis, heck even Alex.Smith). If our 1st rounds can realize their potential on this team, we will be scary good for a long time.
Member Milestone: This is post number 400 for 99problems.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
...and the 49ers add YET ANOTHER 1st round pick to the O-Line and ANOTHER top 11 drafted player to the Roster (L.Davis, V. Davis, A. Davis, Whitner, Alex Smith, Ginn, Crabtree, J. Smith, Aldon Smith, Rogers, Willis).

Not that it means anything...just interesting. If you simply go by 1st round picks, you can add Moss, Jenkins, Staley, and Iupati.

Some argue that LaMichael James and Frank Gore should have been first rounders.
if he some how wins that starting job we'll have like 900 lbs of Davis on the right half of the trenches
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I thinks this is a very good signing. Maiocco reported that he didn't play at all last year because he was still healing from a foot injury. Dude has made the probowl 3 times in 11 years. I believe every time was while playing right guard. Dont sleep on Davis. I know he'll get a lot of hate because the feel good Boone story, but remember its all about the team first.

P.S. Keep Boone on the bench as a swing tackle and back up RG. No need to rush him in.

Totally, this is what I was saying all along...don't assume Boone will be the RG; this coaching staff would most likely bring in a veteran and Alex will have to step up and keep the courtesy 1st shot or go back to swing T and Kilgore and a vet would battle out the starter spot and backup and Boone learned an additional skill/versatility.

ITA. Make no mistake .... we WILL need someone to play OT this season besides Davis and Staley. Someone will be out for a critical series, game or two. As I see it this is an upgrade over Adam Snyder any way you cut it.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he starts the season as the starter at RG.
Originally posted by 99problems:
http://www.leonarddavis.com/

Some athletics make as big a contribution off the field as they do on it. Leonard Davis is one of those individuals.
so he doesn't do s**t off the field, what a dick
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I thinks this is a very good signing. Maiocco reported that he didn't play at all last year because he was still healing from a foot injury. Dude has made the probowl 3 times in 11 years. I believe every time was while playing right guard. Dont sleep on Davis. I know he'll get a lot of hate because the feel good Boone story, but remember its all about the team first.

P.S. Keep Boone on the bench as a swing tackle and back up RG. No need to rush him in.

Totally, this is what I was saying all along...don't assume Boone will be the RG; this coaching staff would most likely bring in a veteran and Alex will have to step up and keep the courtesy 1st shot or go back to swing T and Kilgore and a vet would battle out the starter spot and backup and Boone learned an additional skill/versatility.

ITA. Make no mistake .... we WILL need someone to play OT this season besides Davis and Staley. Someone will be out for a critical series, game or two. As I see it this is an upgrade over Adam Snyder any way you cut it.

Agreed and with a log jam at the C/G positions, I still think Boone will end up a non-starter but the primary backup at T and given Staley's injury history, will be starting at LT at some point. Now we could have Davis pushing Kilgore and make the best man win...even if that ends up being Boone. I wouldn't be surprised if Davis ends up being a backup T & G also. Lots of options so lets see how it all unfolds.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I thinks this is a very good signing. Maiocco reported that he didn't play at all last year because he was still healing from a foot injury. Dude has made the probowl 3 times in 11 years. I believe every time was while playing right guard. Dont sleep on Davis. I know he'll get a lot of hate because the feel good Boone story, but remember its all about the team first.

P.S. Keep Boone on the bench as a swing tackle and back up RG. No need to rush him in.

Totally, this is what I was saying all along...don't assume Boone will be the RG; this coaching staff would most likely bring in a veteran and Alex will have to step up and keep the courtesy 1st shot or go back to swing T and Kilgore and a vet would battle out the starter spot and backup and Boone learned an additional skill/versatility.

ITA. Make no mistake .... we WILL need someone to play OT this season besides Davis and Staley. Someone will be out for a critical series, game or two. As I see it this is an upgrade over Adam Snyder any way you cut it.

Agreed and with a log jam at the C/G positions, I still think Boone will end up a non-starter but the primary backup at T and given Staley's injury history, will be starting at LT at some point. Now we could have Davis pushing Kilgore and make the best man win...even if that ends up being Boone. I wouldn't be surprised if Davis ends up being a backup T & G also. Lots of options so lets see how it all unfolds.

Hmmm.....That didn't even cross my mind, but that makes sense too.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I thinks this is a very good signing. Maiocco reported that he didn't play at all last year because he was still healing from a foot injury. Dude has made the probowl 3 times in 11 years. I believe every time was while playing right guard. Dont sleep on Davis. I know he'll get a lot of hate because the feel good Boone story, but remember its all about the team first.

P.S. Keep Boone on the bench as a swing tackle and back up RG. No need to rush him in.

Totally, this is what I was saying all along...don't assume Boone will be the RG; this coaching staff would most likely bring in a veteran and Alex will have to step up and keep the courtesy 1st shot or go back to swing T and Kilgore and a vet would battle out the starter spot and backup and Boone learned an additional skill/versatility.

ITA. Make no mistake .... we WILL need someone to play OT this season besides Davis and Staley. Someone will be out for a critical series, game or two. As I see it this is an upgrade over Adam Snyder any way you cut it.

Agreed and with a log jam at the C/G positions, I still think Boone will end up a non-starter but the primary backup at T and given Staley's injury history, will be starting at LT at some point. Now we could have Davis pushing Kilgore and make the best man win...even if that ends up being Boone. I wouldn't be surprised if Davis ends up being a backup T & G also. Lots of options so lets see how it all unfolds.

Hmmm.....That didn't even cross my mind, but that makes sense too.

Yeah, experience at both...much of it will depend on his weight. It he's rocking 350+ he'll be at RG. If he's rocking 330ish, he may be able to play both (T in a pinch).
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, experience at both...much of it will depend on his weight. It he's rocking 350+ he'll be at RG. If he's rocking 330ish, he may be able to play both (T in a pinch).

Yeah, I definitly would prefer him at guard and Boone at swing (based on what we currently know). Of course that can change if Boone gets into camp and dominates.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, experience at both...much of it will depend on his weight. It he's rocking 350+ he'll be at RG. If he's rocking 330ish, he may be able to play both (T in a pinch).

Yeah, I definitly would prefer him at guard and Boone at swing (based on what we currently know). Of course that can change if Boone gets into camp and dominates.

For sure...either way, Boone learns a new skill set and we get better as a team with all the competition.

I'm curious as to why they signed him now...guess he had an injury when we 1st looked at him? I'm very curious what his weight is and how long it will take him to start picking up the offensive playbook and blocking schemes.

Man, Gore, Hunter and LMJ will be able to hide behind all these big boys and love every second of it.
Davis said he is a good fit for the 49ers because of the team's affinity for running the football. Davis (6-foot-6, 375 pounds) is built to provide push in the run game.


http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Leonard-Davis-passes-first-tests-toward-?blockID=746783&feedID=5936


Whoa, gaurd it is....LOL
...