LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

The RG competition - Alex Boone vs big Leonard Davis!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Maybe Boone kissed Harbaugh's a** for all of last year to get into the starting lineup. Wasn't he the one always by Harbaugh's side after the game doing the 'un-shirting' ritual they had going between them after every wins.

Don't think Boone's an arse-kisser, but yeah, it was pretty clear that he and Jim have a friendship of sorts that stands out. Wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that Jim pushed hard to get Boone his starting chances. But that's not to say Boone hasn't earned it own his own merit.
If Boone is the better RG after training camp then we start him. It would be stupid to keep him on the sidelines just to have a healthy back up T. If Staley or Davis get injured then Boone moves over and one of the young G steps in for Boone.

Bottom line, we want the best 5 OL starting on game day. That being said, I think we need to figure out which one or two of these young G/C we are going to keep and draft a project T next year.
You start your top 5 no matter what. The only time backups are even considered is during the final cut down to 53.

If Boone is the best, then he plays... it would be horrible coaching to put in a less talented guard and add a higher risk of injury to the QB.
Originally posted by 5280High:
You start your top 5 no matter what. The only time backups are even considered is during the final cut down to 53.

If Boone is the best, then he plays... it would be horrible coaching to put in a less talented guard and add a higher risk of injury to the QB.
This seems correct to me.

Last year during training camp they had Snyder starting at Center. Maybe Snyder just proved himself to be a backup and nothing more. He certainly got the snaps and the attention during training camp.

Presumably Boone will get that attention too at RG, this preseason.

My belief is that the RG competition will come down to Boone and Kilgore, and I wouldn't bet against Boone.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

This seems correct to me.

Last year during training camp they had Snyder starting at Center. Maybe Snyder just proved himself to be a backup and nothing more. He certainly got the snaps and the attention during training camp.

Presumably Boone will get that attention too at RG, this preseason.

My belief is that the RG competition will come down to Boone and Kilgore, and I wouldn't bet against Boone.

Agree with both of you. I sort of hope Kilgore wins either the OC or RG spot though. Goodwin will need to be replaced soon, but if he is much better than Kilgore at calling the game I would like to see a real battle to show both Boone and Kilgore are ready. The stronger the line depth the better.

The lines of the 80's had two all pros but many lower draft choices who were tenacious and great team guys. It would be nice to see that history repeated. So far, it looks like the 9ers have put a high value on nasty. The draft write-ups for Kilgore, Boone, Slowey, and others mentioned this as one of their primary attributes.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Agree with both of you. I sort of hope Kilgore wins either the OC or RG spot though. Goodwin will need to be replaced soon, but if he is much better than Kilgore at calling the game I would like to see a real battle to show both Boone and Kilgore are ready. The stronger the line depth the better.

The lines of the 80's had two all pros but many lower draft choices who were tenacious and great team guys. It would be nice to see that history repeated. So far, it looks like the 9ers have put a high value on nasty. The draft write-ups for Kilgore, Boone, Slowey, and others mentioned this as one of their primary attributes.
Frankly, the "nasty" attribute seems to be one of the things that was lacking in Snyder, which means that whether its Boone or Kilgore at RG, there will be improved play there. IMHO.

At some point in the season, I could see Boone at T (if Staley or Davis is hurt) and Kilgore at RG, and I'm betting we don't lose a beat if that occurs.
Ok ....We need depth , Somebody call Barry Sims

oh no , wait !! ...Kirk Scrafford is always an option too

Sounds like we are putting a lot of pressure on Boone, starting right guard, and then LT or RT, if Staley or davis go down ...WOW ...lot of pressure on one guy, hope everyone stays healthy
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Frankly, the "nasty" attribute seems to be one of the things that was lacking in Snyder, which means that whether its Boone or Kilgore at RG, there will be improved play there. IMHO.

At some point in the season, I could see Boone at T (if Staley or Davis is hurt) and Kilgore at RG, and I'm betting we don't lose a beat if that occurs.

Snyder was great depth but his ceiling is just a technically sound high IQ guy. He knew where to be and how to get infront of his man, but just didnt have the athleticism to dominate anyone or recover if he made a mistake.

Im excited to see Boone in there at RG. If we want to open up the offense what better than to get a guy with his wingspan on the inside... there may be a leverage issue but the counter point to that is on stunts or LB blitzes, Boone has the length to stand his man up and then put a paw on LB's trying to overload the gap. Lb's hit the blitz so hard often times it just takes a good punch to the shoulder pads to knock em off balance and add a second or two for the QB to get rid of the ball.

Cant wait to see our up and coming line in pads, especially Slowey and if he can hang with the big boys and be a groomable center.
Snyder was great depth but his ceiling is just a technically sound high IQ guy. He knew where to be and how to get infront of his man, but just didnt have the athleticism to dominate anyone or recover if he made a mistake.

Im excited to see Boone in there at RG. If we want to open up the offense what better than to get a guy with his wingspan on the inside... there may be a leverage issue but the counter point to that is on stunts or LB blitzes, Boone has the length to stand his man up and then put a paw on LB's trying to overload the gap. Lb's hit the blitz so hard often times it just takes a good punch to the shoulder pads to knock em off balance and add a second or two for the QB to get rid of the ball.

Cant wait to see our up and coming line in pads, especially Slowey and if he can hang with the big boys and be a groomable center.

Yes, he could just fall down and block more area than Snyder. The key will be support for A Davis. Can Boone do his job and build a rapport with Davis...quickly? Sure hope so!
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I see the OL as:

Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis

-Boone moves to tackle if Staley or Davis go down and then Kilgore (or even Looney) go to RG.
-If Goodwin goes down then I think Kilgore will end up at center. He will have to fend of Slowey and Beeler this offseason though.
-Don't forget we have Person to backup either tackle spot or possibly one of the UDFAs as well.

funny how things you see and things your trying to call. is EXACTLY what the beat writers are saying

Pure genius!

The key will be support for A Davis. Can Boone do his job and build a rapport with Davis...quickly? Sure hope so!

Sounds as if they are off to a fast start already. I think this right side could be dominant, if what's said is true about Davis' new-found foot quickness.

If we allow Kilgore the majority of time at C... learning the line calls.. I think this will help him close whatever gap may exist between himself and Goodwin. Been said a bunch that Snyder was graded as a bottom 5-10 guard. Well this grade also extended to Goodwin at C (though the 2nd half of his season was better than the first).

I'm think that a 2013 OL of Staley--Iupati--Kilgore--Boone--Davis could be the best starting OL we have seen in a long time.

... but not to skip too far ahead. The OL merely needs to be a little better this season for us to repeat our SB push. We do have to see less brutal hits on Alex though. Tough guy or not, he took some painful hits last season. I think he was the most hit QB last season? or close to. That has to stop.
One thing that Harbaugh's team is and that's they are faaaaaarrrrrr ahead of some of the old thinking on here and in the NFL. Why move a possible starting OT to G?

1. Already have 2 starting OTs
  2. More domination on the OL
  3. Because they can coach and transition players smoothly into new positions.
  4. Boone has Davis' mentality and that's aggression and physicality.
  5. Damn, we could possibly have two huge anchors at the G position.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM ]
Originally posted by 99problems:
funny how things you see and things your trying to call. is EXACTLY what the beat writers are saying

Pure genius!

Are you trying to rip me? 1. Despite you thinking that was obvious half the people on this thread started freaking out about what do we do at backup tackle. 2. I didn't read the article and I can form my opinions without a beat writer. I follow the team daily. 3. I wasn't trying to act like I made an astounding observation. I was just putting in my input because I think people were complicating the situation.
We haven't played a single down of training camp or preseason games. So Boone is the leading candidate so far. That is just fine.

Kilgore and Person obviously have some skills, otherwise they wouldn't have made the team last year. Looney and Slowey are two draft picks that have yet to show their stuff. There are also 5 other contenders on the OL (Beeler, Hall, Netter, Gonzales, and Chisholm) that are on the fringes. The depth on the OL will be fine, no matter who starts at RG.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by 99problems:

Pure genius!

Are you trying to rip me? 1. Despite you thinking that was obvious half the people on this thread started freaking out about what do we do at backup tackle. 2. I didn't read the article and I can form my opinions without a beat writer. I follow the team daily. 3. I wasn't trying to act like I made an astounding observation. I was just putting in my input because I think people were complicating the situation.

Both Posters: stop please. 99problems, check your pm's. Gore: your point is made.

Thank you.
Share 49ersWebzone