LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 454 users in the forums

The RG competition - Alex Boone vs big Leonard Davis!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm rooting for Boone. This was the same guy that used to drink 30-40 beers a day in college and correct me if I'm wrong....the man child once had to be tranquilized by law enforcement for public intoxication (jumping on top of cars I believe). The man grew up, lost some weight, put in the work and has a chance for a starting spot.

Go Alex!
Originally posted by KegBert: The one thing that stuck out was that AD mentioned Boone's nasty playing style in the trenches

I guess I'm just unclear on when exactly AD saw this happen.

It couldn't have been in non-contact OTAs, so when exactly was AD seeing this?

My guess is we should file the positive reports on Boone after non-contact OTAs in the same folder as "Crabtree has the best hands I've ever seen" and "We were always going to keep Alex and were never interested in Manning." Maybe Boone knew the plays?
I see the OL as:

Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis

-Boone moves to tackle if Staley or Davis go down and then Kilgore (or even Looney) go to RG.
-If Goodwin goes down then I think Kilgore will end up at center. He will have to fend of Slowey and Beeler this offseason though.
-Don't forget we have Person to backup either tackle spot or possibly one of the UDFAs as well.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by KegBert: The one thing that stuck out was that AD mentioned Boone's nasty playing style in the trenches

My guess is we should file the positive reports on Boone after non-contact OTAs in the same folder as "Crabtree has the best hands I've ever seen" and "We were always going to keep Alex and were never interested in Manning." Maybe Boone knew the plays?

He got some decent PT last year, and all of the OL watch film together, so the "nasty" comment could reflect his gameplay, not OTA's. Similarly, they film practices, so he might be commenting on footage they watched from TC last year.
My thought on Boone getting RG practice time during OTAs is that he is comfortable at both OT spots, so they wanted him to have a shot at starting--his experience in the offense giving him the best shot at stabilizing the line. Kilgore has a year under his belt and is probably next up at RG. The other likely roster spots will be won by younger guys with no (or minimal) experience but good potential.

Now even if Kilgore wins the RG spot during TC they will have a back up with some good practice time at that spot. The same goes for Kilgore at OC, where he worked in the off-season and will have needed experience if something happens to Goodwin. He had worked a great deal at RG and they wanted him to be more fluid at OC.

This way of working guys at different positions is a great way to build rapport among the linemen, foster competition and develop flexibility in case of injury. Great coaching moves again!
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

Perhaps when he played with Boone during last season. We played a lot of jumbo sets last year and whenever we brought in an extra lineman Boone was the first one in. I actually believe JH said we had "six" starting lineman last year, referring to Boone. A whole year is a pretty good sample size right?
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by jreff22:
The bigger point is we have drafted 3-4 OG's in 2 years, what is going on with them?

So what. The niners had willis, why draft bowman? The niners had willis and bowman why pick up grant? Gore and hunter why james? Moss/crabs/manninham/ginn/Williams whydraft Jenkins? I can do this all day.

You draft the player you think will be the best with very few exceptions. They have an old center who will need to be replaced and got a few guys who can do that. If persons can play T well then he becomes the backup and boone becomes an emergency T. If person can't than boone is the backup and persons is the emergency. If harbaugh let's draft position affect a decision like this he is going it wrong.
Really...?
Because TKO was old and we needed a replacement.
Grant was already on the roster, released, and brought back in a backup role.
Gore and Hunter-I do not know why James unless Dixon will be cut because he hasn't been great at running the ball....and Gore is almost done.
Why Jenkins...because Ginn, Williams, Moss, and Manningham are on short contracts or the last year of their contract. Even Crabs is getting close to contract time.

You draft players who can start or start soon, bringing in 4 OL (3 interior guys) in 2 years and having none of them lock down the RG spot is sad. If Boone was the answer we should've looked for OT's to take his spot in the transition....we didnt. We could've packaged the picks and gotten 1-2 players that were better in every category.

You cant keep throwing s**t at the wall and hope it sticks. Should we draft another 2 OL next year in hopes one of them step us and beats the other 5 we drafted?
Originally posted by darum:
The bigger point is we have drafted 3-4 OG's in 2 years, what is going on with them?

JH is a big fan of competition for starting roles. He has 4-5 guys competing for 2 starting spots (RG now and C once Goodwin is done). The other guys will be have roles as swing tackle/interior oline depth or cut if they cant make it in the NFL. No GM gets even close to 100% of his picks right, especially later in the draft. Not exactly realistic to expect every 5th+ rounder to be starters long term on the team.

Then you take a kid in a higher round that can contribute and stop blowing late picks.
Then you take a kid in a higher round that can contribute and stop blowing late picks.

all the guys weve been getting are hybrids and depth probabbly

its pretty clear killgore is being groomed for C not RG peterson was a 7th round pick who can play G or tackle... he will be depth

looney this year is backup G who may start at G if anyone of our T or G get injured and boone has to switch

i dont see any wasted picks here

You cant keep throwing s**t at the wall and hope it sticks. Should we draft another 2 OL next year in hopes one of them step us and beats the other 5 we drafted?

I think what you should do is try to trust that our F/O knows what they are doing. Jim and Baalke have a plan... so far, they have provided a 13-3 season and playoff run. Maybe just maybe you could give them a little of your trust that they have plans and contingencies for our OL?

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
all the guys weve been getting are hybrids and depth probabbly

its pretty clear killgore is being groomed for C not RG peterson was a 7th round pick who can play G or tackle... he will be depth

looney this year is backup G who may start at G if anyone of our T or G get injured and boone has to switch

i dont see any wasted picks here

They have drafted college LTs with the understanding that the best linemen are usually played there. Then the 9ers plan to move them back to a position of strength as the case warrants. Kilgore played RG his sophmore and freshman years, injured his junior year (when he returned he was used in utility) and then at LT as a senior. Person was an OT but drafted as an OG. Jason Slowey played both RG and LT during his career.

The assumption is that small school LTs are good athletes who just need coaching to become NFL caliber. Will this work? Don't see why not but proof is in the pudding!
Maybe Boone kissed Harbaugh's a** for all of last year to get into the starting lineup. Wasn't he the one always by Harbaugh's side after the game doing the 'un-shirting' ritual they had going between them after every wins.

I think Boone could be great at guard. He's clearly athletic enough to pull as evidenced by them moving him around as an extra tight end/6th O-lineman out there. I want to see him on a safety or Linebacker on a power sweep to Kendall Hunter for a long TD.
Really...?
Because TKO was old and we needed a replacement.
Grant was already on the roster, released, and brought back in a backup role.
Gore and Hunter-I do not know why James unless Dixon will be cut because he hasn't been great at running the ball....and Gore is almost done.
Why Jenkins...because Ginn, Williams, Moss, and Manningham are on short contracts or the last year of their contract. Even Crabs is getting close to contract time.

You draft players who can start or start soon, bringing in 4 OL (3 interior guys) in 2 years and having none of them lock down the RG spot is sad. If Boone was the answer we should've looked for OT's to take his spot in the transition....we didnt. We could've packaged the picks and gotten 1-2 players that were better in every category.

so what you are saying is they brought in good players for depth? with a future chance to start? and jenkins doesn't have a spot on the team now, so why draft him?

what would have them do for the oline, keep snyder and rachal? what other position would you have waned them to draft there?
an ILB to sit behind the 2 best in the business with a possible starter already at backup?
a QB who may not even make the team above alex, colin, josh?

they got good players at a position of great need,
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Maybe Boone kissed Harbaugh's a** for all of last year to get into the starting lineup. Wasn't he the one always by Harbaugh's side after the game doing the 'un-shirting' ritual they had going between them after every wins.

Don't think Boone's an arse-kisser, but yeah, it was pretty clear that he and Jim have a friendship of sorts that stands out. Wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that Jim pushed hard to get Boone his starting chances. But that's not to say Boone hasn't earned it own his own merit.
Share 49ersWebzone