There are 189 users in the forums

The RG competition - Alex Boone vs big Leonard Davis!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Ok ....We need depth , Somebody call Barry Sims

oh no , wait !! ...Kirk Scrafford is always an option too

Sounds like we are putting a lot of pressure on Boone, starting right guard, and then LT or RT, if Staley or davis go down ...WOW ...lot of pressure on one guy, hope everyone stays healthy

I, for one, appreciate your Barry Sims reference.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Ok ....We need depth , Somebody call Barry Sims

oh no , wait !! ...Kirk Scrafford is always an option too

Sounds like we are putting a lot of pressure on Boone, starting right guard, and then LT or RT, if Staley or davis go down ...WOW ...lot of pressure on one guy, hope everyone stays healthy

I, for one, appreciate your Barry Sims reference.

i think he meant barret robbins
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by 99problems:
funny how things you see and things your trying to call. is EXACTLY what the beat writers are saying

Pure genius!

Are you trying to rip me? 1. Despite you thinking that was obvious half the people on this thread started freaking out about what do we do at backup tackle. 2. I didn't read the article and I can form my opinions without a beat writer. I follow the team daily. 3. I wasn't trying to act like I made an astounding observation. I was just putting in my input because I think people were complicating the situation.

Both Posters: stop please. 99problems, check your pm's. Gore: your point is made.

Thank you.

I think our line will be good no matter who starts.

TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!

actually no i wasnt trying to rip you the same point you made has been made on almost every other page in this thread.

and nice to know i was "warned"
i guess what some say about some of our fans are true.
and by that i mean whine and cheese. (not in a bad way wine and cheese are amazing)
[ Edited by 99problems on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM ]
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
If Boone is the better RG after training camp then we start him. It would be stupid to keep him on the sidelines just to have a healthy back up T. If Staley or Davis get injured then Boone moves over and one of the young G steps in for Boone.

Bottom line, we want the best 5 OL starting on game day. That being said, I think we need to figure out which one or two of these young G/C we are going to keep and draft a project T next year.

The only issue is that you have to change two positions on the OL for one which is critical to chemistry and then ask a guy who's been specializing at firing off the ball and playing low to now be a standup, react LT or RT again and insert a young RG from ground zero. That could be dangerous for a while as technique is paramount to line play and this line play is suspect as it is.

Agreed on your last points.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Agree with both of you. I sort of hope Kilgore wins either the OC or RG spot though. Goodwin will need to be replaced soon, but if he is much better than Kilgore at calling the game I would like to see a real battle to show both Boone and Kilgore are ready. The stronger the line depth the better.

The lines of the 80's had two all pros but many lower draft choices who were tenacious and great team guys. It would be nice to see that history repeated. So far, it looks like the 9ers have put a high value on nasty. The draft write-ups for Kilgore, Boone, Slowey, and others mentioned this as one of their primary attributes.
Frankly, the "nasty" attribute seems to be one of the things that was lacking in Snyder, which means that whether its Boone or Kilgore at RG, there will be improved play there. IMHO.

At some point in the season, I could see Boone at T (if Staley or Davis is hurt) and Kilgore at RG, and I'm betting we don't lose a beat if that occurs.

Totally...outside chance Boone ends up backing up the T spot or even a really outside chance of Boone starting RT and Davis pinching inside to RG (unlikely but I do like it).

TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!

actually no i wasnt trying to rip you the same point you made has been made on almost every other page in this thread.

and by that i mean whine and cheese. (not in a bad way wine and cheese are amazing)

I didn't read much of the thread so sorry if what I said was said earlier. And obviously I have nothing to do with you getting warned. I wouldn't have warned you for what you said.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!

I didn't read much of the thread so sorry if what I said was said earlier. And obviously I have nothing to do with you getting warned. I wouldn't have warned you for what you said.

its all good man. i have no hard feelings against you and if i came off like a douche then i guess i deserve it.
just funny how i got " in trouble " for saying our fans like wine and cheese. WHO DOESNT LIKE WINE AND CHEESE?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Then you take a kid in a higher round that can contribute and stop blowing late picks.

all the guys weve been getting are hybrids and depth probabbly

its pretty clear killgore is being groomed for C not RG peterson was a 7th round pick who can play G or tackle... he will be depth

looney this year is backup G who may start at G if anyone of our T or G get injured and boone has to switch

i dont see any wasted picks here

Kilgore, Person, Looney, and Slowey...thats a lot of bodies in 2 years. Can any of these guys step in and play LT and not suck....none have beaten Boone at OT or OG apparently so far. I don't like playing musical chairs on the line.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

You cant keep throwing s**t at the wall and hope it sticks. Should we draft another 2 OL next year in hopes one of them step us and beats the other 5 we drafted?

I think what you should do is try to trust that our F/O knows what they are doing. Jim and Baalke have a plan... so far, they have provided a 13-3 season and playoff run. Maybe just maybe you could give them a little of your trust that they have plans and contingencies for our OL?
When we have a starting OL and competent players backing them up I will stop questioning. I even question that moves at WR, and I don't think we have a finished product yet.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Really...?
Because TKO was old and we needed a replacement.
Grant was already on the roster, released, and brought back in a backup role.
Gore and Hunter-I do not know why James unless Dixon will be cut because he hasn't been great at running the ball....and Gore is almost done.
Why Jenkins...because Ginn, Williams, Moss, and Manningham are on short contracts or the last year of their contract. Even Crabs is getting close to contract time.

You draft players who can start or start soon, bringing in 4 OL (3 interior guys) in 2 years and having none of them lock down the RG spot is sad. If Boone was the answer we should've looked for OT's to take his spot in the transition....we didnt. We could've packaged the picks and gotten 1-2 players that were better in every category.

You cant keep throwing s**t at the wall and hope it sticks. Should we draft another 2 OL next year in hopes one of them step us and beats the other 5 we drafted?
so what you are saying is they brought in good players for depth? with a future chance to start? and jenkins doesn't have a spot on the team now, so why draft him?

what would have them do for the oline, keep snyder and rachal? what other position would you have waned them to draft there?
an ILB to sit behind the 2 best in the business with a possible starter already at backup?
a QB who may not even make the team above alex, colin, josh?

they got good players at a position of great need,
No, we have a lot of guys on short contracts and if none work out we need long term depth that goes past 2 years. Ginn is not a WR, Williams is a ?, Moss is a 16 game ?, Manningham is good but not great, and Crabs still needs to prove he is a top 10 talent. It made sense to draft a WR, I was advocating for it all year.

What they shoulve done was taken kids who were plug and play or close to it. Hoping that all of these late round OL turn out to be gems is wishful thinking, maybe 1 becomes a starter-so far none can beat Boone at a position he hasn't played. It doesn't concern you that these kids who have been playing the position cant beat a backup OT for an OG spot? Either Boone is really that good or they aren't making an impact....4 guys who cant beat him?

I don't understand your ILB question

No, we have a lot of guys on short contracts and if none work out we need long term depth that goes past 2 years. Ginn is not a WR, Williams is a ?, Moss is a 16 game ?, Manningham is good but not great, and Crabs still needs to prove he is a top 10 talent. It made sense to draft a WR, I was advocating for it all year.

What they shoulve done was taken kids who were plug and play or close to it. Hoping that all of these late round OL turn out to be gems is wishful thinking, maybe 1 becomes a starter-so far none can beat Boone at a position he hasn't played. It doesn't concern you that these kids who have been playing the position cant beat a backup OT for an OG spot? Either Boone is really that good or they aren't making an impact....4 guys who cant beat him?

You need to be patient with the line in particular. Davis, Iupati and Boone have three years experience, which means they are babes in the woods and should be rounding into shape this year. Kilgore & Person were lower picks with a year less experience. So now we have Slowey and Looney to add to a mix of very young and developmental linemen. Do I hope they all become pro bowlers this year? Sure, but first I want to win the lottery. The key to the line will be coaching them to play as a unit. And I have some confidence that they will become a fine line.

It's OK to want them to develop quickly, just not a reasonable expectation.

You need to be patient with the line in particular. Davis, Iupati and Boone have three years experience, which means they are babes in the woods and should be rounding into shape this year. Kilgore & Person were lower picks with a year less experience. So now we have Slowey and Looney to add to a mix of very young and developmental linemen. Do I hope they all become pro bowlers this year? Sure, but first I want to win the lottery. The key to the line will be coaching them to play as a unit. And I have some confidence that they will become a fine line.

It's OK to want them to develop quickly, just not a reasonable expectation.

I understand it takes time but I really don't like the idea of these guys filling in for Staley...it scares the hell out of me. I know we have to find a replacement for C in a year or two and hopefully we have that person on the roster. Even in the off chance that Iupati goes down (which did happen) who is the next guy up? Risking a lot in a bunch of low round picks can bite you in the ass. I would rather put Kilgore at RG and see what happens, get the kid the PT and exposure so we can work on him faster. We wont know what any of the potential is if we never throw them to the wolves and see how they fight back.

I'm starting to think one of the kids last year isn't working out and that's why we drafted another 2 this year.
I understand it takes time but I really don't like the idea of these guys filling in for Staley...it scares the hell out of me. I know we have to find a replacement for C in a year or two and hopefully we have that person on the roster. Even in the off chance that Iupati goes down (which did happen) who is the next guy up? Risking a lot in a bunch of low round picks can bite you in the ass. I would rather put Kilgore at RG and see what happens, get the kid the PT and exposure so we can work on him faster. We wont know what any of the potential is if we never throw them to the wolves and see how they fight back.

I'm starting to think one of the kids last year isn't working out and that's why we drafted another 2 this year.

I understand and wanted the team to go after a vet RG, but that's what Nolan did and it failed to develop the line. Now they are building a line slowly but (I hope) surely the old fashion way...through development. Goodwin was a must but everything else they've done is old school. The cross training is great because injuries are such a big part of the game. If they can have three or four guys who can move around and fill in the team will go through less drama during the bad times.

Of course, they haven't DONE anything yet...so it's hard to have patience. As far as drafting OLinemen I would like to see a couple drafted every year. When these guys' contract come up for renewal Baalke is not likely going to overpay...they will need younger players developing behind.

I understand and wanted the team to go after a vet RG, but that's what Nolan did and it failed to develop the line. Now they are building a line slowly but (I hope) surely the old fashion way...through development. Goodwin was a must but everything else they've done is old school. The cross training is great because injuries are such a big part of the game. If they can have three or four guys who can move around and fill in the team will go through less drama during the bad times.

Of course, they haven't DONE anything yet...so it's hard to have patience. As far as drafting OLinemen I would like to see a couple drafted every year. When these guys' contract come up for renewal Baalke is not likely going to overpay...they will need younger players developing behind.

Cross training is good and bad. It's nice to have a jack of all trades but you are also getting a master of none....Snyder.

Baalke will have to pay for the talent at some point. Letting guys walk because we think we can find younger cheaper talent every year is too risky. Having a foundation that plays together for years is how you create a winning franchise, not being the cheap prick looking for deals in the dollar bin.
Boone had two NFL years to learn to play NFL tackle. He was a 4 year starter in college. He knows what he's doing and what his assignments are at OT. Now, he will work on the assignments at OG, and I'd bet he will have it down quickly. So I think it's a great idea to have him "cross-trained". We are likely only gonna have 7 OL that are active each week. It allows great flexibility when having 2 or 3 players that can play multiple spots.

Love what we are doing!
Share 49ersWebzone