LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

The RG competition - Alex Boone vs big Leonard Davis!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Met his mom in team hotel in Baltimore.

Not hot
LOL Slowest News Month.

So we're going to announce the guard competition over because of what our backup OT did with shorts on in OTAs?

Let's stop and think about that for a second.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
LOL Slowest News Month.

So we're going to announce the guard competition over because of what our backup OT did with shorts on in OTAs?

Let's stop and think about that for a second.

Let us first stop and realize where this notion came from. This is an article posted from Maiocco. Maybe direct your condescension to him, k?
I am pretty dang busy ichthyologist now so I have not read through all of this.

People are saying if boone gets hurt we have no backup T. Well if he does not start and joe or anthony get hurt there is now no backup T. I believe I. Putting your best 5 on the field.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I'd love for him to start. But I do think it's crazy I can't name a fourth tackle that has a chance of making the team
Originally posted by toeshawn:
I'd love for him to start. But I do think it's crazy I can't name a fourth tackle that has a chance of making the team

I'd be surprised if Mike Person doesn't make the team. He is probably the plan for our next swing-OT, as I have never heard a negative thing about him.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
I am pretty dang busy ichthyologist now so I have not read through all of this.

People are saying if boone gets hurt we have no backup T. Well if he does not start and joe or anthony get hurt there is now no backup T. I believe I. Putting your best 5 on the field.

The bigger point is we have drafted 3-4 OG's in 2 years, what is going on with them?
Is anybody even surprised? -Everybody knew this guy was gonna be a starter in the league (at one point) the moment somebody kicked Boone's ass into gear (next to Vernon, another blessing we can thank Singletary for).

This guy was a first round pick in the first place that just went down the wrong path, now he's a hungry/physical beast, don't want anybody else even touching that spot but Boone.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:

I'd be surprised if Mike Person doesn't make the team. He is probably the plan for our next swing-OT, as I have never heard a negative thing about him.

I haven't read about him playing tackle but yeah that makes sense
Originally posted by oldman9er:

I haven't read about him playing tackle but yeah that makes sense

Person played LT and RT in college... so if the coaches develop him well, he can be that guy. We'll see....

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If Boone is the best RG he deserves nothing less than to start. You don't dare put anything less than the best on the field when it comes to protecting your quarterback. Sitting the best RG on the bench just because they can play tackle decently is asinine. All of the players that we have competing at guard except Looney played tackle in college.

Having Boone rot on the bench because we are afraid of him getting hurt is a weak, losing mentality. I want to win games. He and one of our tackles would BOTH have to get hurt for this to be an issue. Are we that conservative that we would risk losing even one game that could put us out of the playoffs, just to have him waste away on the bench?

Harbaugh doesn't gameplan that way.

Well said. Thank you.
Originally posted by jreff22:
The bigger point is we have drafted 3-4 OG's in 2 years, what is going on with them?

So what. The niners had willis, why draft bowman? The niners had willis and bowman why pick up grant? Gore and hunter why james? Moss/crabs/manninham/ginn/Williams whydraft Jenkins? I can do this all day.

You draft the player you think will be the best with very few exceptions. They have an old center who will need to be replaced and got a few guys who can do that. If persons can play T well then he becomes the backup and boone becomes an emergency T. If person can't than boone is the backup and persons is the emergency. If harbaugh let's draft position affect a decision like this he is going it wrong.
  • darum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

JH is a big fan of competition for starting roles. He has 4-5 guys competing for 2 starting spots (RG now and C once Goodwin is done). The other guys will be have roles as swing tackle/interior oline depth or cut if they cant make it in the NFL. No GM gets even close to 100% of his picks right, especially later in the draft. Not exactly realistic to expect every 5th+ rounder to be starters long term on the team.
At the beginning of OTA's, when I first heard Boone was gonna get the first shot at starting RG, I figured the staff was just giving a well liked and hard working player a "shot". Now after what i've read from all the reports from OTA's, such as great reviews from the coaches and other starters on the line, I think that Boone has a legit shot to be the starting RG come week 1.

I remember reading an article, sorry i don't have the link, where Anthony Davis was being interviewed and was obviously really pulling for Boone. The one thing that stuck out was that AD mentioned Boone's nasty playing style in the trenches and that that was the type of guy he wanted to play next to.
I completely understand the worries about depth but fully believe in putting the best combination of 5 players on the line. Not necessarily the best 5 individual lineman.

I'm not gonna get into depth issues or whether or not we have wasted draft pick on interior lineman. I will leave that stuff up to the professionals but i feel like this is Boone's job to lose and with his work ethic and tenacity I don't see anyone displacing him.

In conclusion, all this speculation is killing me and i cant wait for TC.
I don't see what the fuss is about.

Sure, our backup T's best position probably IS at a tackle position, but we have a bunch of young guys at guard. If, it turns out the best right guard on our team this year is Alex Boone, then put him there.

The goal is to get your best five out there. Yes, we drafted some young guys with the intention that they'll be guards for us, but if they can't win the job and be the best guard on the line, it sucks, but it's just a testament to how good Boone is.

Next year, we'll re-evaluate. I'm certain one of those young guns will have developed and be ready for the starting position, and then it'll be a different conversation.
Share 49ersWebzone