LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 129 users in the forums

The RG competition - Alex Boone vs big Leonard Davis!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 99problems:
Aldon as a full time starter, & RB' fighting for that special teams role as well as the 4th back

Oh, I know that. My Cam comment was the desire to see Cam and how well he can push Haralson. (unlikely, but still....)
Originally posted by oldman9er:
i havent been so excited to watch pre season battles in LONG TIME if ever.

Yep.. lots of really interesting players to watch. I want to see:

- Anthony Davis' allegedly improved footwork/speed.
- Boone's transition at RG.
- Alex's new-found mechanics.
- LaMichael James
- Just where A.J. Jenkins is at.
- Randy Moss !!!
- new and improved Mike Crabtree?
- Kilgore can push Goodwin at C?
- new and improved Kyle Williams... will he return punts?
- backup QB battles

- all the developing backup DL
- how the extreme work Brooks put in has paid off?
- how Cam Johnson can push Haralson?
- Culliver vs Brown vs Cox
- Spillman closing the gap vs Goldson?

Whoooooooooooo !!!!!

Aldon as a full time starter, & RB' fighting for that special teams role as well as the 4th back

All of these. The list goes on! Too bad we won't be able to see the full evolution of the offensive scheme until the season starts.
If Boone is the best RG he deserves nothing less than to start. You don't dare put anything less than the best on the field when it comes to protecting your quarterback. Sitting the best RG on the bench just because they can play tackle decently is asinine. All of the players that we have competing at guard except Looney played tackle in college.

Having Boone rot on the bench because we are afraid of him getting hurt is a weak, losing mentality. I want to win games. He and one of our tackles would BOTH have to get hurt for this to be an issue. Are we that conservative that we would risk losing even one game that could put us out of the playoffs, just to have him waste away on the bench?

Harbaugh doesn't gameplan that way.
yea so many more than we are not naming.
cant forget that battle at LS thats gonna be EPIC im calling for tons of blood sweat and tears
[ Edited by 99problems on Jul 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If Boone is the best RG he deserves nothing less than to start. You don't dare put anything less than the best on the field when it comes to protecting your quarterback. Sitting the best RG on the bench just because they can play tackle decently is asinine aseten aseleven asetwelve. All of the players that we have competing at guard except Looney played tackle in college.

Having Boone rot on the bench because we are afraid of him getting hurt is a weak, losing mentality. I want to win games. He and one of our tackles would BOTH have to get hurt for this to be an issue. Are we that conservative that we would risk losing even one game that could put us out of the playoffs, just to have him waste away on the bench?

fixed
J/K but yea u are right
I have no issue with Boone playing G. In fact, I think it's a good idea. My only issue is who's gonna play backup tackle. Do we convert, say, Jason Slowey for that job? Or does a guy like Derek Hall get a chance? Or does a dark horse name emerge like David Gonzales (need to put on some pounds) or Al Netter (6-6, 310)? I don't know; I'm just throwing names out there. Bottom line if Boone is the guy at RG there will be a clear hole at backup tackle that JH will have to address during camp.
I really like Boone's punch and control in the passing game and hope it will help this team pass the ball more effectively this season.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If Boone is the best RG he deserves nothing less than to start. You don't dare put anything less than the best on the field when it comes to protecting your quarterback. Sitting the best RG on the bench just because they can play tackle decently is asinine. All of the players that we have competing at guard except Looney played tackle in college.

Every fan wants to win games as much as the other. Having good depth is a big part of winning games in the NFL.

I think the biggest question is, "Why on earth did we draft three guards in the last two years?" To rot on the bench?
They are not tackles. They are guards, maybe centers.
If a converted 6'7 backup tackle is better than all of them, then we are pretty darn horrible at drafting guards.

Bobb McKittrick used to talk about how Derrick Deese was one of his best five players on the line, yet he was a backup. So I think "asinine" is too strong a word when describing that mentality.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I have no issue with Boone playing G. In fact, I think it's a good idea. My only issue is who's gonna play backup tackle. Do we convert, say, Jason Slowey for that job? Or does a guy like Derek Hall get a chance? Or does a dark horse name emerge like David Gonzales (need to put on some pounds) or Al Netter (6-6, 310)? I don't know; I'm just throwing names out there. Bottom line if Boone is the guy at RG there will be a clear hole at backup tackle that JH will have to address during camp.

Boone is still the backup tackle. They trust his ability enough to swing him over cold.

Also, Mike Person is the best dark horse to look at. He made the 53 man roster last year, yet never suited up, so it looks like we were trying to protect him. Maybe Mike Person is the reason the staff is so comfortable with this move.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I am worried about this and am worried about a backup safety. as compared to the types of worries i had with this team two or three or four years ago, its not to tragic

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Boone is still the backup tackle. They trust his ability enough to swing him over cold.

Also, Mike Person is the best dark horse to look at. He made the 53 man roster last year, yet never suited up, so it looks like we were trying to protect him. Maybe Mike Person is the reason the staff is so comfortable with this move.
I can believe that. But what comes to mind is the "best 5" OL idea that JH has voiced. Boone is definitely a better offensive lineman than Person. I'd feel much more comfortable with Boone at RG and Person learning the swing position than going with Person starting at RG while keeping Boone at the swing. Again, "best 5". And right now Boone is among our top 5 O-lineman.
We've drafted guards in the past draft and now we're putting our backup tackle to the starting guard position? Generally I'd say this seems a bit odd, however, some players can't be left off the field. Boone fits that category, he adds energy each time I've seen him play. He's a classic case of a player willing himself to over achieve. Sooner or later he was going to get a starting slot along the line, I think he overshadows Snyder as soon as he steps on the field.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
We've drafted guards in the past draft and now we're putting our backup tackle to the starting guard position? Generally I'd say this seems a bit odd, however, some players can't be left off the field. Boone fits that category, he adds energy each time I've seen him play. He's a classic case of a player willing himself to over achieve. Sooner or later he was going to get a starting slot along the line, I think he overshadows Snyder as soon as he steps on the field.
dding a vet lineman like davis or kyle kosier would give me peace of mind
NEXT MAN UP......

It's a "high" class problem to have a lot of depth. All of the backups play multiple positions. Actually Slowey, Kilgore and Person have played Guard and Tackle and are getting time at Center too. Anyone that plays center will have a much better understanding of the line. All of these guys can play Tackle in a pinch. I think Person is the most natural tackle, but Kilgore and Slowey played LT which is reserved usually for your best lineman.

I like that Boone has moved over to Guard. I think he can provide a lot of push up the middle, and he's in much better shape that he was in college. Boone is a great story, he was rated as a 2nd, 3rd round potential pick but the week before the draft he got raging drunk and the police arrested him on top of parked cars and smashing them like the HULK. His body fat was crazy high (30%) and when he got to the niners, he was on his last legs when he came to the team. Boone actually stayed in SF full time after he made the team because he was afraid he may relapse. He's done a lot of work getting to where he is. I think he has played his way into a shot. Good for him.

With that being said, we are a little thin at Tackle. I pray to God we don't have major injuries on the line. But injuries can ruin any team. I think we are in much better position than other teams with our depth, it's just really young.

Every GM has to take some risks, but I trust in Harbaugh and Baalke they know what they are doing.
I think JH has a very good grasp on he's doing.
Share 49ersWebzone