There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The RG competition - Alex Boone vs big Leonard Davis!

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
In the glory years, the 49ers would always have a good backup T ready to come in. If we didn't have one, we would do whatever it took to bring one in during the off-season.

We seem to be a little bit lax about our backup T position, which is almost as important a position as most starting positions. Our Super Bowl teams won games because we always had a reliable backup ready to go. I hope this doesn't become a problem for us as the season goes along.

How do you know we are "lax" about the backup OT spot though???

Let's say that Jim and Greg have assessed a player(s) like Mike Person, Derek Hall, Netter, Wiggins, Leonard D, Chisolm, or Alex Boone sliding back out. Let's then say they have determined that one or more of these options gives them adequate or plenty of confidence at backup OT, should an injury occur.

Must they let the general public know this to make us feel better? Hell no.

So just because we the fans don't have the full picture yet, that certainly doesn't mean the coaches are overlooking such things.. right?

LOL! In the glory years I cringed when a backup came into the game--particularly a small ex-guard to play tackle. But Bobb would have him coached up and Bill would devise plays to take advantage of the smaller, quicker backup. Dan Audick started 16 games in 1981 at 6'3" 252 pounds! That was small even for those years! He was my hero for coming in and out performing my expectations.

Funny how we don't always remember how nerve racking those day were...just eeking out championships by out thinking/out playing the opposition.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
In the glory years, the 49ers would always have a good backup T ready to come in. If we didn't have one, we would do whatever it took to bring one in during the off-season.

We seem to be a little bit lax about our backup T position, which is almost as important a position as most starting positions. Our Super Bowl teams won games because we always had a reliable backup ready to go. I hope this doesn't become a problem for us as the season goes along.

How do you know we are "lax" about the backup OT spot though???

Let's say that Jim and Greg have assessed a player(s) like Mike Person, Derek Hall, Netter, Wiggins, Leonard D, Chisolm, or Alex Boone sliding back out. Let's then say they have determined that one or more of these options gives them adequate or plenty of confidence at backup OT, should an injury occur.

Must they let the general public know this to make us feel better? Hell no.

So just because we the fans don't have the full picture yet, that certainly doesn't mean the coaches are overlooking such things.. right?

LOL! In the glory years I cringed when a backup came into the game--particularly a small ex-guard to play tackle. But Bobb would have him coached up and Bill would devise plays to take advantage of the smaller, quicker backup. Dan Audick started 16 games in 1981 at 6'3" 252 pounds! That was small even for those years! He was my hero for coming in and out performing my expectations.

Funny how we don't always remember how nerve racking those day were...just eeking out championships by out thinking/out playing the opposition.

Ralph Tamm, Dave Fiore, Derrick Deese.... all came out of nowhere. I swear McKittrick must've found each under a rock on his early morning stroll through the woods. I can still remember checking the waiver in the newspaper. Seeing the 49ers had picked up Ralph Tamm to be McKittrick's project on the O-line. Then the dude would start a year later and be solid starter on a SB team. He was a 9th rounder from the Jets
I think that this exhibition game will give us feedback on a lot of players and we will see how our oline functions.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home