LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

The RG competition - Alex Boone vs big Leonard Davis!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Does Leonard Davis have man-boobs?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Boone-leans-on-competition-to-help-with-?blockID=749799&feedID=5936

Boone leans on 'competition' to help with new role

It did not take Boone long to becomes acquainted with Davis. And it did not take Davis long to indicate to Boone that he was there to help. "I knew it was going to be different," Boone said. "I was talking to Tomsula about that. It's just less space. The first day, I found myself trying to create some space. But you just have to get into that mindset of being a mauler." And how has that worked out? "I'm the wrong person to ask," Boone said. At that point, teammate Bowman was walking past. And Boone called out to the LB for confirmation. "Am I a mauler?" Boone asked Bowman. "Yeah, you're a mauler," Bowman confirmed. He is working constantly with Anthony Davis on communication against the 49ers' outstanding pass rush that comes from Aldon Smith and Justin Smith. "I'm working on staying low, that's the big thing," Boone said. "It's getting better and better. And I'm feeling more comfortable. There's no doubt in my mind that I'll do this job."

Good for him! Smart move...interesting how all these vets are now being looked upon to help develop younger players (ala old school Niner mantra).

Yep. And reading that Leonard is down to 355 lbs and apparently generous in sharing wisdom? Makes me feel even better about whichever of the two wins the starting job. ( either way, I can see both getting some regular season snaps there anyway )

Exactly! It means we have 6 or 7 bonefide starters ready to go and both can now play T or G.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Exactly! It means we have 6 or 7 bonefide starters ready to go and both can now play T or G.
and it sounds like we have a real team. i know they all want to start but people like moss and davis and justin are not afraid to share knowledge with the kids. i guess that is how you build tradition. I am so happy they signed davis. now maybe boone will take that job and we will find out davis was not needed but i just think you can not have to many good vets on the team. we got a very good one year out of people like larry allen and issac bruce and of course we know what we got from walt harris.. i know its a young mans game but those quality vets like the rock, moss, jacobs and davis they brought in bring so many positive intangibles to the table in my opinion
And on the Matt and Mindi report Matt said Boone was picking Leonard Davis' brain from the get go. Like I mentioned maybe Davis doesn't become the starter but at worst he can be a good vet presence even if it's only for a short time if he doesn't make the team. I think he does though. Might have just hurt Slowey, Person, Beeler, etc's chances. Also, Davis could be brought in on goal line as an extra lineman or short distance if he makes the team.

Edit: And also I won't say it but let's say for some reason we need a LG Davis could fill in there. Might save us from really messing with Boone's development at RG because I would assume otherwise Boone would move to LG and Kilgore would be RG. Or do you think without Davis Kilgore would become the LG and Boone stays at RG? Either way would probably help because I think we should key Kilgore in at center and Boone at RG.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM ]
Yeah, we needed the OL depth either way. If Davis doesn't win the starting gig, he definitely is still a key cog in the OL anyway.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
And on the Matt and Mindi report Matt said Boone was picking Leonard Davis' brain from the get go. Like I mentioned maybe Davis doesn't become the starter but at worst he can be a good vet presence even if it's only for a short time if he doesn't make the team. I think he does though. Might have just hurt Slowey, Person, Beeler, etc's chances. Also, Davis could be brought in on goal line as an extra lineman or short distance if he makes the team.

So when do you think Matts going to pop the big question to Mindi?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

lol, I know he is married but don't kow about her. Not sure if it's like that but I do like their chemistry on camera. And I have been really impressed with Mindi. She knows her stuff (most women are there just to look pretty) and at the press conferences she is one of the few who asks intelligent questions.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

lol, I know he is married but don't kow about her. Not sure if it's like that but I do like their chemistry on camera. And I have been really impressed with Mindi. She knows her stuff (most women are there just to look pretty) and at the press conferences she is one of the few who asks intelligent questions.

Yeah, I'm joking. But, I did always get the sense he liked her.
Yeah, I'm joking. But, I did always get the sense he liked her.

I know. Matt probably does like her but hard not to. A good looking women who knows and loves football is hard to find. She does a good job though... think it's time to let Matt hold the mic and let her answer more questions.

Edit: Although that would be crazy... lol one of the segments he gets down on one knee and asks her to marry him. CUT!!!
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM ]
10 OL formation???

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
10 OL formation???

Wouldn't some have to be lined up off the LOS? Not sure what the rules are but I think we could see some of this on goal line/short yardage

Staley | Iupati | Goodwin | L. Davis | A. Davis | Boone (extra tackle) | V. Davis
Tukuafa or Sopoaga
Alex
Jacobs

Not saying Davis wins the RG job just that would give you the most beef for that situation. Could you add another lineman on the left side or is that illegal? Maybe Person at LT and Staley as extra tackle... maybe he goes out for a pass. Otherwise a WR at either end or another TE
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM ]
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Does Leonard Davis have man-boobs?

About twenty pounds less than he did.
Similar article with more quotes I found worthwhile...

Leonard Davis + Alex Boone

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Boone-Davis-vie-for-49ers-guard-spot-3755807.php

"He comes and asks and, for me, we're teammates," Davis said. "It's not like I've got something to hide. I'm not going to keep my little secrets over here. I've never done that." Boone said he wasn't shocked last week when Staley approached him with some news: They've signed Leonard Davis. "I knew it was coming," Boone said. "Nothing in this league is handed to you. They're not just going to give you something ... They had to bring somebody in. They're not just going to say, 'Hey, you know what, Boone, we trust you with this spot, good luck.' You've got to compete. Anything you get you must earn. I agree. I'm fine with that. We're having fun doing it." At 6-foot-6 and 355 pounds, Davis is at his lightest weight since he played at 355 in 2004.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Adding Leonard Davis was a good move.

If Boone wins the starting job, he will have beat a quality guard in Davis.
Originally posted by buck:
Adding Leonard Davis was a good move.

If Boone wins the starting job, he will have beat a quality guard in Davis.

I believe the competition is closer than most people think, including Matt Maiocco, who thinks the job will definitely be Boone's. MM cites that Boone is the younger player, but perversely that, and the fact that the Niners extended him, may give them the luxury of playing Davis for the next year or two if he shows he's the better player at this point for the type of offense they want to run. That still gives them a lot of flexibility if a player anywhere on the line gets injured, since Davis could slide over to LG (arguably his best spot) and Boone come in at RG if Iupati is out, or Boone could replace Davis directly if the latter gets hurt. And a fresh Boone can still play either tackle spot in a pinch. I'm *very* interested in seeing how the preseason games go, and who the starter turns out to be come opening day.
Share 49ersWebzone