There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Where Would Arnaz Battle be on our current depth chart?

Where Would Arnaz Battle be on our current depth chart?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:

We routinely had the worst kick/punt return teams in the NFL for almost 5 years before we brought Ted Ginn in, and you use the word, "stellar" to describe it? Battle was so bad that we had Delanie Walker, our second tight end returning punts. When we put Phillip Adams back there, he cost us the Monday Night game against the Saints two years back with a fumble on our own 15 yard line.
the word stellar should never be used in the context of those teams, there was nothing stellar back then in regards to the team, coaches or most of the players,, whats next? could jimmy maxwell make this team as a back up linebacker??
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
he wouldnt
I've come to think that most people who post here are under 18.
Originally posted by SBinMT:
I've come to think that most people who post here are under 18.

You guys are embarrassing!
Originally posted by blm7754:
All you guys voting for "cut" probably didn't watch much of Battle. He was a good receiver on a s**tty team. Reliable hands, tough guy, great in the intermediate routes. I'd put him at #3 on our current roster (maybe #4... I haven't seen enough of Manningham to decide). For sure better than Jenkins, K. Williams, and T. Ginn.

Hear, hear!
Forget what all these current team "homers" are saying about Battle not being good. They are nuts!

Right now he would easily the 2 on this team, and probably our #1. Battle was freak. Hines Ward as a blocker. Megatron's range. Desean Jackson speed. Rice's fluidity. He was..nay....He is the prototype for a reciever.

Right now, Battle could get off his couch, put down the cheetos, walk onto the hallowed grass of 4949 Centenniel, still wearing steelers yellow crocs and pabst stained freshly cut daisy dukes and (ala Deion Sanders at the combine / Barry Sanders at Oklahoma pro day stories of legend) blaze a 40 in 5.03 flat. Pure burner.

No doubt in my mind that Battle was a lock first ballot hall of famer if his magical career had not been tragically cut short by reality.
" The Steelers released Battle on February 8, 2012." He's available!
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
His past chemistry with Alex in mind, I'd have said # 3 (for 2012) if it were not for his age + troubled knee/foot/ankle issues.

1. Moss
2. Crabtree
3. Manningham

4-6. battle between Jenkins, Battle, Ginn, and KW. (obviously, Jenkins and likely Ginn would be "safe" from being released)

Last year after losing Morgan vs the Bucs, Battle would have been our # 2.

I agree. Too bad his arthritic knee became such a problem. The guy was a warrior but just could not stay healthy. I really don't think he would make the 53. Jenkins would be ahead just because of the money and Williams is quicker and faster. That would leave a competition between Battle and Ginn which Ginn would win because of returns.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Yeah... I don't think so. He'd be our 3rd or 4th best WR in his prime. He has had trouble staying healthy the last 3 years. Hasn't been a player since 2008. Pass.
Originally posted by dj43:
His past chemistry with Alex in mind, I'd have said # 3 (for 2012) if it were not for his age + troubled knee/foot/ankle issues.

1. Moss
2. Crabtree
3. Manningham

4-6. battle between Jenkins, Battle, Ginn, and KW. (obviously, Jenkins and likely Ginn would be "safe" from being released)

Last year after losing Morgan vs the Bucs, Battle would have been our # 2.

I agree. Too bad his arthritic knee became such a problem. The guy was a warrior but just could not stay healthy. I really don't think he would make the 53. Jenkins would be ahead just because of the money and Williams is quicker and faster. That would leave a competition between Battle and Ginn which Ginn would win because of returns.

Yes, you are right. While I'd love to have his experience and hands, we simply couldn't justify a roster spot for him over the young potential WRs and return ability of Ginn we now have. If horrible things occurred in TC/preseason (knock on wood, please no!), then I would want us to consider him for depth unless he comes in and looks washed up.

... but as of last year with Morgan injured? Battle would have been a great asset to us.
All you guys voting for "cut" probably didn't watch much of Battle. He was a good receiver on a s**tty team. Reliable hands, tough guy, great in the intermediate routes. I'd put him at #3 on our current roster (maybe #4... I haven't seen enough of Manningham to decide). For sure better than Jenkins, K. Williams, and T. Ginn.

Also, for the record... Crabtree is our #1. Not Moss.

no, he was a mediocre receiver on a team starved for talent. at his best he's a serviceable three guy, and more like a 4-5 guy on a team that has talent but isn't deep. let's not lionize mediocre ex-niners.
Originally posted by Psinex:

We routinely had the worst kick/punt return teams in the NFL for almost 5 years before we brought Ted Ginn in

Keep in mind, as with the bolded, Ginn didn't do his thing alone. When we brought Brad Seely in as STs coach, magically, our entire blocking units improved to the point where our K/P returners actually had time to make decent returns behind good blocking lanes.

Yeah... I don't think so. He'd be our 3rd or 4th best WR in his prime. He has had trouble staying healthy the last 3 years. Hasn't been a player since 2008. Pass.

Turn on your sarcasm detector...I'll do the same!
Keep in mind, as with the bolded, Ginn didn't do his thing alone. When we brought Brad Seely in as STs coach, magically, our entire blocking units improved to the point where our K/P returners actually had time to make decent returns behind good blocking lanes.

You mean to tell me that coaching matters!?

You mean to tell me that coaching matters!?

ain't that some sh*t? Oh, and you know what else? Listen close and write this down, k? Winning games is >>>> than passing for 300+ yards in losses.

( )