There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Where Would Arnaz Battle be on our current depth chart?

Where Would Arnaz Battle be on our current depth chart?

Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Psinex:
I posted the poll to see where other people thought Battle might fall because the standard of mediocrity is sometimes difficult to define. It's also relative.
Back in 2005 to 2009 we as Niners fans were exposed to some of the most mediocre wide receivers the league has ever known. Somehow Battle emerged as our best option.

Those were dark times.

Isaac Bruce was legit.

Oh yeah, we had Isaac Bruce the last year and a half of his career. If we want to go through the list, we also had Antonio Bryant, Ashley Lelie, Brandon Jones, Bryant Johnson, Darrell Jackson, Dominique Zeigler, Jason Hill and Josh Morgan. But the last year of Battle's tenure at the Niners was the beginning of our ascension.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
good posession receiver, solid #3 on many teams but right now, he wouldn't make the team. we have too much speed, kr abilities, etc.
All you guys voting for "cut" probably didn't watch much of Battle. He was a good receiver on a s**tty team. Reliable hands, tough guy, great in the intermediate routes. I'd put him at #3 on our current roster (maybe #4... I haven't seen enough of Manningham to decide). For sure better than Jenkins, K. Williams, and T. Ginn.

Also, for the record... Crabtree is our #1. Not Moss.
Kicking it with Johnny Morton in the bleachers....
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
His past chemistry with Alex in mind, I'd have said # 3 (for 2012) if it were not for his age + troubled knee/foot/ankle issues.

1. Moss
2. Crabtree
3. Manningham

4-6. battle between Jenkins, Battle, Ginn, and KW. (obviously, Jenkins and likely Ginn would be "safe" from being released)

Last year after losing Morgan vs the Bucs, Battle would have been our # 2.

#3 last season, imo. but yeah that's who he would have to compete with before he was released :) KW is a better WR imo. Of course, that may just appear that way because battle was dealing with #1 CBs.

Kyle Williams is still trash compared to even Battle, you people literally wanna forget those dark years it seems, and still make excuses for that loser (Kyle).

-Battle was clutch when we moved him out more to the slot amidst the 2006 season (59 receptions, 686 yds, 3 TDs), and was even stellar when called upon for punt returning duties in 2004 (even scored a TD on a punt return), cannot say Kyle Williams has ever been capable of that up to this point.

Battle would still be a #4 receiver on even our squad (when he was a #1/#2 on our least talented Nolan squads), and in his prime would beat Kyle Williams out at this year's training camp for the #4 spot.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM ]
He was a big fish in a VERY SMALL talent pool on those Niner teams.

He was above average but nbot by much.
The first thing that came to mind with Battle was overrated. Not his fault, he was just built up too highly because we had next to no talent at Wr.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Kyle Williams is still trash compared to even Battle, you people literally wanna forget those dark years it seems, and still make excuses for that loser (Kyle).

-Battle was clutch when we moved him out more to the slot amidst the 2006 season (59 receptions, 686 yds, 3 TDs), and was even stellar when called upon for punt returning duties in 2004 (even scored a TD on a punt return), cannot say Kyle Williams has ever been capable of that up to this point.

Battle would still be a #4 receiver on even our squad (when he was a #1/#2 on our least talented Nolan squads), and in his prime would beat Kyle Williams out at this year's training camp for the #4 spot.

Clutch? You forgot about that fumble in the last minute of that opening game vs Arizona where he fumbled at the 1 yard line. Luckily for us, the Cardinals defnder couldn't recover the fumble when he had both hands on the ball or he could have knocked the ball out of the endzone causing us to kick the ball to them for a safety. Thankfully, a 49er WR ended up recovering the ball. I also remember Batttle dropping a few 3rd down and even 4th down passes at the end of a game against Seattle. Battle is worse than garbage and as a receiver , worse than Williams. BTW, Battle sucked as a returner too. He was good at being injured tho
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
4th best, maybe 5th, i would rather have kyle than battle. he was decent on some s**tty teams, he would get lost on a good team, what has he done since he left us
At the top
he's better than Ginn at WR.......

....better than KW (at WR) is debatable (KW has more potential)........AJ still an unknown.

Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Not trying to be a dick but in all seriousness who cares? I used to be a fan of his and kind of reminded me of a Hines Ward prototype but this guy was not anything that special. If that is the case where would Mike Sherrard be?

Sherrard would be #3.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
wouldnt be on the team

lets not overrate a guy that was ok on some of the worst offenses in the history of the nfl

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
His past chemistry with Alex in mind, I'd have said # 3 (for 2012) if it were not for his age + troubled knee/foot/ankle issues.

1. Moss
2. Crabtree
3. Manningham

4-6. battle between Jenkins, Battle, Ginn, and KW. (obviously, Jenkins and likely Ginn would be "safe" from being released)

Last year after losing Morgan vs the Bucs, Battle would have been our # 2.

#3 last season, imo. but yeah that's who he would have to compete with before he was released :) KW is a better WR imo. Of course, that may just appear that way because battle was dealing with #1 CBs.

We routinely had the worst kick/punt return teams in the NFL for almost 5 years before we brought Ted Ginn in, and you use the word, "stellar" to describe it? Battle was so bad that we had Delanie Walker, our second tight end returning punts. When we put Phillip Adams back there, he cost us the Monday Night game against the Saints two years back with a fumble on our own 15 yard line.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
wouldnt be on the team

lets not overrate a guy that was ok on some of the worst offenses in the history of the nfl

i understand anyone can post what they want and debate what they want but this is a pretty funny thread. battle is like josh morgan, very over rated among some here in the zone. as ron said, the guy was just ok. back then we would settle for "ok". we are far beyond the battle level right now and yes kyle williams would beat out battle right now, battle had more than his share of mistakes. good riddance