There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If we lose Goldson..I wont shed a tear

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1 play.... He was going for the interception aggressively. There is 10 times more good in his game than bad.

Never said he sucked, just saying that an interception is not worth injuring one of your teammates. Positional awareness is something he really needs to work on, especially if he wants the top money. Also it seems kinda douchey to be greedy when there are so many people in this country that are struggling to make ends meet. He getts paid plenty if he signs the tag ( which I am confident he will) but he needs to be in camp getting better as a player if he wants the big payday. He should feel very lucky to have such a great job.

By the way, I would say two or three times the good to bad. I think he is just a level below Reed, Berry and Polamalu, but I think where he lacks can be coached up, Positional awareness and coverage discipline ( not biting so hard on play action). Once again, I like him, want him on the team, but don't want to overpay him when we have other, more vital positions coming up in free agency.

so what, patrick willis got torched on the Jimmy Graham TD and no one said ohh nice job Willis
Originally posted by Garcia:
I'm pretty sure no one would literally cry if we lost Goldson

Hopefully. There would be a whole lot of whining, but I don't think anyone will actually cry. LOL
I think nearly 100% of us want Goldson back on the team ASAP.

.. but that doesn't mean we believe he is worth the large contract he seems to be after. With our front 7, it's likely that we can plug someone else in there to be effective and still field a strong D... rather than tying a ton of money into Goldson.

Don't know why others get so upset by this. Got to look at the financial aspect of this decision down the road. Sometimes, you just can't lock up every good player on the team. Especially if everyone is battling for more money than they are really worth. If anything, fans should be disgruntled that Goldson is trying so hard to strong-arm the team. Every day he holds out from practices (if he does in TC and preseason), he hurts the team. This further screams that he may just be that ME player first. The offer from SF was very generous. He's just putting his own personal greed ahead of the team... and yet some of you prefer to defend him.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I think nearly 100% of us want Goldson back on the team ASAP.

.. but that doesn't mean we believe he is worth the large contract he seems to be after. With our front 7, it's likely that we can plug someone else in there to be effective and still field a strong D... rather than tying a ton of money into Goldson.

Don't know why others get so upset by this. Got to look at the financial aspect of this decision down the road. Sometimes, you just can't lock up every good player on the team. Especially if everyone is battling for more money than they are really worth. If anything, fans should be disgruntled that Goldson is trying so hard to strong-arm the team. Every day he holds out from practices (if he does in TC and preseason), he hurts the team. This further screams that he may just be that ME player first. The offer from SF was very generous. He's just putting his own personal greed ahead of the team... and yet some of you prefer to defend him.
why didn't Alex sign that initial contract we had on the table for him??? Was he greedy? Did that show he was a ME first player? Yet there were many here who defended Alex regarding the issue...they were screaming for the team to up what ever offer was on the table because they were scared to let him hit free agency.

Its just the business of the sport. Our defensive coordinator said it best a couple of weeks back. He knows Goldson...he knows that Dashon will be ready, when he eventually comes in.

Doesn't it show that Dashon was right when no one else believed in him after last season....he felt he was worth more than what the 9ers were offering...tried out the Free Agent Market, and other teams passed on him as well....he then comes in, and has the best season of his career. There is nothing wrong with a player being alittle prideful, especially when it comes to being a football player in the NFL dealing with front offices.

as far as "just plugging in" a player for that Free Safety Position...we have tried that for years, with horrible results....heck even this year, with the same personnel...when Goldson didn't play those first couple of games, our defense was getting torched.

Again, I think he knows he is not going to get overpaid...but I think he is exercising all his rights as a free agent for the time being. This is just the business of the NFL.

I mean look at what is happening down there in New Orleans.....for the past few years, the player who has been the most important person for that team...for that city. He is holding out. Heck he said he won't play if he gets franchised. He had that horrible situation that happened to him his last year with the Chargers. Its the same thing with Dashon. Sure he can sign that one year contract, but with the type of position he plays...along with the passion he brings and the sacrifice he displays....he would also be taking a huge chance for the second year in a row.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jun 18, 2012 at 6:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
why didn't Alex sign that initial contract we had on the table for him??? Was he greedy? Did that show he was a ME first player? Yet there were many here who defended Alex regarding the issue...they were screaming for the team to up what ever offer was on the table because they were scared to let him hit free agency.

Had a feeling one of you would try this. Anyway.. I never believed nor believe now that Alex had any problem with that initial contract. He said as much to the media... But I know some of you choose to believe otherwise.... for your own peculiar reasons.

Its just the business of the sport.

This doesn't make it any more acceptable to me. Greed is greed. Goldson should have to prove more if he wants numbers that compare with some of the elite safeties that have been excelling for many years.

as far as "just plugging in" a player for that Free Safety Position...we have tried that for years, with horrible results....heck even this year, with the same personnel...when Goldson didn't play those first couple of games, our defense was getting torched.

In past years, we didn't have Donatell... so that gets dismissed. The argument that we "were getting torched" doesn't fly much either. We held the Bengals to 8 points. We kept a high-powered Dallas team to 17 before Whitner/whatever CB blew the OT deep TD pass on a broken coverage. WE kept the Hawks down to 17 also, and one of their TDs came from the Hawks starting around mid-field. Our D wasn't invincible without Goldson, nor was it with him.

edit - okay, so looks like we got Goldson back in week 3, so dismiss the Bengals game. Still, "getting torched" is a bit strong for our D without Goldson.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:06 AM ]
^ Oh, and I also think Brees if being a huge D-bag for holding out the way he has.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
1 play.... He was going for the interception aggressively. There is 10 times more good in his game than bad.

Never said he sucked, just saying that an interception is not worth injuring one of your teammates. Positional awareness is something he really needs to work on, especially if he wants the top money. Also it seems kinda douchey to be greedy when there are so many people in this country that are struggling to make ends meet. He getts paid plenty if he signs the tag ( which I am confident he will) but he needs to be in camp getting better as a player if he wants the big payday. He should feel very lucky to have such a great job.

By the way, I would say two or three times the good to bad. I think he is just a level below Reed, Berry and Polamalu, but I think where he lacks can be coached up, Positional awareness and coverage discipline ( not biting so hard on play action). Once again, I like him, want him on the team, but don't want to overpay him when we have other, more vital positions coming up in free agency.

so what, patrick willis got torched on the Jimmy Graham TD and no one said ohh nice job Willis

On mobile else I would post face palm GIF.
Originally posted by denali22:
Is anyone else annoyed by his little holdout? The guy wants to be PAID. I don't think he deserves a ludacris contract. The guy plays like a strong safety, and had a couple of lucky INTS (most were deflected if i remember correctly) and he occasionally lays down the big hit. Big deal.

Interesting article on PFF.
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/02/playing-tag-dashon-goldson/

I think we have decent depth incase he doesnt sign. I think our front office also know that he's not a big factor of our elite defense. He doesnt quite fit onto our "blue collar" theme. Seems like a trouble maker to me.

Question is, who is the best player to replace him? I'm not comfortable with playing a rookie in a FS. Maybe culliver moves over? Thoughts?

So...does he want a contract similar the rapper Ladacris' contract, or are the terms for his desired contract simply ludicrous??

Moving Cully to safety would be interesting (gets Cox some PT too) but safety depth still needs to be addressed.
He'll play out his franchise year and then adios!

JH?Baalke are grooming his replacement[s] and we'll be just fine.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

He was in position and just got beat by a great play. Big difference from biting so hard on a play fake your man is 15 yards behind you. Listen, it happens, just like to see it happen less for the money he wants.
I would shed a tear

#1- he's a beast
#2-no replacment
He had a great yr in 2011,2010 not good,2009 great yr

"so he had a couple ints that were deflected"

Are you frickn kidding?
He had 6 ints by the way lol

You may not personally like Dashon but know your football

c'mon now!
Originally posted by Super5:
I would shed a tear

#1- he's a beast
#2-no replacment
He had a great yr in 2011,2010 not good,2009 great yr

"so he had a couple ints that were deflected"

Are you frickn kidding?
He had 6 ints by the way lol

You may not personally like Dashon but know your football

c'mon now!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
i may not cry, depending on who replaces him,,, but i may pout a bit
Is anyone else annoyed by his little holdout? The guy wants to be PAID. I don't think he deserves a ludacris contract. The guy plays like a strong safety, and had a couple of lucky INTS (most were deflected if i remember correctly) and he occasionally lays down the big hit. Big deal.

I think we have decent depth incase he doesnt sign. I think our front office also know that he's not a big factor of our elite defense. He doesnt quite fit onto our "blue collar" theme. Seems like a trouble maker to me.

Question is, who is the best player to replace him? I'm not comfortable with playing a rookie in a FS. Maybe culliver moves over? Thoughts?

Very good article and I agree with the assessment like I also did when evaluating Joe Staley, another "pro bowl" guy. It touches on his inconsistent play, average play at best but also on his big play ability and upside. It seem objective to me and I especially agree with their grades on coverage. They even touched on his good coverage on "go routes" but I wonder if Fangio had him starting 30 yards deep on these plays as we saw a lot this year. I believe coach D noted the shift to shorter, but quicker and faster and better coverage S's d/t all the spread offenses the NFL faces now. I've had big concerns of Dashon going for the money-plays, his inability to provide help over the top esp. along the sidelines, his poor angles, hesitations, missed tackles, blown coverages esp. in the RZ, etc. but also touched on his upside and intangibles. I still feel 5 for 25 is fair (original offer) with a heavy focus on blown assignments, speed and quickness and all of the aforemetioned. He's a nice player but with this front 7 only getting better and stability at SS and all CB positions, don't be surprised to Spillman, who's only 2 inches shorter (same weight) but with more speed, range and coverage skills (in projections), starting this season at FS. Like PFF says though, it's up to Dashon as we hold serve.
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:

So...does he want a contract similar the rapper Ladacris' contract, or are the terms for his desired contract simply ludicrous??

Moving Cully to safety would be interesting (gets Cox some PT too) but safety depth still needs to be addressed.

The coaches seem to really like Spillman...fits their defensive-style to more coverage S's. Plus they just locked him up too to a LT contract (good move). But Culliver seems to be impressing as well as CB and they may also be an option as well.