There are 184 users in the forums

If we lose Goldson..I wont shed a tear

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter Turns out that Titans S Michael Griffin agreed to a 5-year, $35 million deal that includes $15 million guaranteed, per league source

This should be similar to the deal Goldson gets right?
Wow that should pretty much stacks the deck in favor of the 49ers. I don't see how Weddle's agent swindled the Chargers for 8 mil per but Goldson is not getting that much. If the reports are true that there is indeed an offer on the table of 7 mil per I don't see why he wouldn't sign it.
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter Turns out that Titans S Michael Griffin agreed to a 5-year, $35 million deal that includes $15 million guaranteed, per league source

This should be similar to the deal Goldson gets right?

If similar Goldson is crazy for turning it down
Originally posted by Hitman49:
That INT in aginst the Saints wasn't lucky...if anything looked like he had spent some time in the film room and baited one of the best QB in the league into that INT...

yup. they were showing the angle from the sky cam, and if i remember right he was hiding behind one of the LB's when Brees threw that ball.

call it part of the scheme if you want, he still needed to execute it.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Wow that should pretty much stacks the deck in favor of the 49ers. I don't see how Weddle's agent swindled the Chargers for 8 mil per but Goldson is not getting that much. If the reports are true that there is indeed an offer on the table of 7 mil per I don't see why he wouldn't sign it.

I wouldn't doubt if he already made up his mind to sign, but he's waiting until the eve of Training Camp. As a vet, he probably wants to skip the OTAs.

Edit: We could still franchise him this year and next right?
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I wouldn't doubt if he already made up his mind to sign, but he's waiting until the eve of Training Camp. As a vet, he probably wants to skip the OTAs.

Yes, but it will cost more next season to franchise Goldson, it could cost over $7.45M, because he would get an increase on the tag number. We are better off either extending him if he will sign, or just cut the cord after 2012 and draft a replacement. Goldson is replaceable.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Yes, but it will cost more next season to franchise Goldson, it could cost over $7.45M, because he would get an increase on the tag number. We are better off either extending him if he will sign, or just cut the cord after 2012 and draft a replacement. Goldson is replaceable.

I'm sure he's replaceable in time, but I'm not sure we want to take that chance in the middle of our Superbowl run window......Justin Smith is a big part of what we do and he's 33. Justin gave himself 3 more years, but who knows....
It's amazing to me, how guys who are making millions of dollars , can sit and argue over another million or so, when they are on a team that is headed for greatness...ie, some SBs and not just one. Somehow, these guys think only of $$ when in the end, the thing that will mean the most to them is that SB ring...or rings. And we are poised to go after some SBs, beginning this yr. If the offer on the table is as stated above, as AB said, he would be foolish to turn it down. Yeah, I for one would really miss him, but am puzzled how short sighted some of these guys are. I get it that they only can play a certain number of yrs, but especially because of that, the SB consideration... one would think would be factored in.

In the erickson/noln/BM times, damn well bet I would want every penny to play here, because this team was dog doo doo. But now? Wow, a really legit shot at the SB, and Goldson wants more than the comparable salary, when he could play for a SB winner? I just don't get that . If Goldson turns it down, then we probably should get rid of him next yr....because he is unwisely greedy.
Didnt he have 6-7 ints last year?.....SEVERAL huge hits.....lost in coverage maybe once or twice misesed maybe a couple tackle but wasnt highlighted ever last season.....young, experienced, only getting better.....of course I would miss him....
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I'm sure he's replaceable in time, but I'm not sure we want to take that chance in the middle of our Superbowl run window......Justin Smith is a big part of what we do and he's 33. Justin gave himself 3 more years, but who knows....

A lot has to do with the salary cap, according to sources the cap will be $121M in 2013. That will kill us as we have over that committed for 2013, putting us over the cap. The cap isn't expected to spike until 2016 or 2017. That $7.45M won't work for us. Some guys will be cap cuts in 2013 offseason, Goodwin, Haralson(If not earlier), Dixon(If not earlier), Kyle Williams(If not earlier). Need to address Justin Smith's contract, get him extended till 2015, which would be right around 4 more years of him, and lower his 2013 base salary giving us more room, which I'm sure he will do if asked.

I also factored in projected contract for A.J. Jenkins. Good thing is very few FAs to be.

Main ones:

Delanie Walker- Probably the best #2 TE behind Aaron Hernandez, I hope he is kept.
Isaac Sopoaga- Depends on how we feel on NT spot, he isn't an every down guy, since we don't use a NT all the time.
Ricky Jean Francois- Might be tougher, if he gets more time on defense line he may get offers elsewhere.
Randy Moss- depends on 2012 season, wouldn't be tough, if we win a bunch of games and he is contributor he is back
Dashon Goldson- Let him walk, he isn't a 8M a yr FS, even 7M is way way too high.

Minor ones:

Rock Cartwright- easy re-sign on minimum deal
Tavares Gooden- Same, easy sign
Tramaine Brock- RFA to be, wouldn't tender him at $1.26M, I'm not a fan, got burned in title game, please replace him with a draft pick in 2013
Ted Ginn Jr.- Would be replaceable as long as James comes in and improves on punt returns, then I say let Ginn go, and take his WR spot and give it to a young guy, either Palmer, Owusu or a draftee.
Brandon Jacobs- He is likely a 1yr guy, I can't see him back, unless on minimum deal if we get far in playoffs.

Guys who need to be addressed for extensions at some point:

NaVorro Bowman- I know 2 ILBs at big deals, well not really, Willis won't have guaranteed money left after 2012
Justin Smith- extend him through 2015 and let him retire a niner
Mike Iupati- signed through 2014, sign him in 2014 offseason when we have less committed salaries
Tarell Brown- signed through 2013, so decide on him after 2012
Anthony Davis- If he stays consistent, extend
Donte Whitner- through 2013, bring back, was consistent on defense
David Akers- if he wants to play past 2013, SIGN HIM.

Gore seems a candidate to be cut next offseason.
You kidding me?
Originally posted by NinerG94:

Weddle>>>>Goldson
if he doesnt take whatever long term deal the FO has on the table he'll be costing himself $$$$ in the long run. dude is not going to get 8 mill, he would be lucky to get 7 and as it stands this one year deal is and will be his best opportunity during his career to make decent cash at 6 mill . when the year starts he's gonna be 28 and at that age considering his inconsistent production as a starter (3 years) imho he should count himself lucky that the team is still wants to give him good money for what he has shown on the field as compared to the players he is comparing himself to (pay scale wise)im not really sure of his production but i would think the other db's have better numbers. at 29 i really doubt there are going to be a lot of teams that are going to give a 29 year old fs/ss of his debatable caliber to a 5 year big money deal.

in the end i know the FO isn't gonig to bend so idk if he and his reps are playing hard ball thinking that they can punk praalke. missing this time does hurt, they were installing new wrinkles in the system and his game aint that tight so as to train with his personal crew and blow off reps with and against his team mates like it doesnt matter.
[ Edited by Allx9er on Jun 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM ]
Originally posted by walker807:
Weddle>>>>Goldson

Share 49ersWebzone