There are 136 users in the forums

Better Defensive Player?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Better Defensive Player?

Originally posted by strickac:
Willis, easily.

Justin was nearly considered a bust early in his career. Willis instantly was in the elite status when he entered the league. Willis is the consensus best MLB in the game. Justin, even in his prime, is among the best, but he doesn't dominate his competition (other DEs) like Willis does.

I'm a huge Justin fan, but I think he'd be easier to replace than Willis. We're just fortunate to have guys like Bowman and McDonald complimenting them.

Not even close. Only considered a bust by Bengals fans who don't know how to appreciate good line play
[ Edited by DirtyP on Jun 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Yes because that answers the question.

and quite easily doesn't it?
Justin Smith blew up the combine running a 4.64 and is an unbelievable athlete! Willis is as well. Can't believe people need to speak badly of one in order to promote the other!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Justin Smith blew up the combine running a 4.64 and is an unbelievable athlete! Willis is as well. Can't believe people need to speak badly of one in order to promote the other!

I don't think anyone has talked bad about either one. They are both badasses and two of my favorite 49ers in a long time.
Originally posted by Chief:
I don't think anyone has talked bad about either one. They are both badasses and two of my favorite 49ers in a long time.

Hope so! These guys are one in a lifetime type players and I just love watching them. I have never seen a better tackler than Willis...pure form and the strongest hands in the league.
If I had to pick one for today it'd be Smith but Willis is the future
Justin Smith.
Justin Willis and Patrick Smith!
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Willis, easily.

Justin was nearly considered a bust early in his career. Willis instantly was in the elite status when he entered the league. Willis is the consensus best MLB in the game. Justin, even in his prime, is among the best, but he doesn't dominate his competition (other DEs) like Willis does.

I'm a huge Justin fan, but I think he'd be easier to replace than Willis. We're just fortunate to have guys like Bowman and McDonald complimenting them.

Not even close. Only considered a bust by Bengals fans who don't know how to appreciate good line play

Definitely the truth. He was the #4 overall pick. He had a good rookie season, but his stats declined from there and the Bengals continued to stink on defense. He never came close to posting the sack numbers Cincinatti hoped for. He was considered a high motor guy, who was solid in the run game, but couldn't get to the QB. That was as a 4-3 DE too. After another mediocre season, the Bengals let him go to free agency.

Bulking up and converting to the 3-4 saved his career. He went from a good pro to an All-Pro. No one could of predicted he'd be this good in the 3-4. Even when we signed him, it wasnt clear we're he'd play. He was a little light for DE and he didn't seem to have the pass rushing skills to play OLB.
Definitely the truth. He was the #4 overall pick. He had a good rookie season, but his stats declined from there and the Bengals continued to stink on defense. He never came close to posting the sack numbers Cincinatti hoped for. He was considered a high motor guy, who was solid in the run game, but couldn't get to the QB. That was as a 4-3 DE too. After another mediocre season, the Bengals let him go to free agency.

Bulking up and converting to the 3-4 saved his career. He went from a good pro to an All-Pro. No one could of predicted he'd be this good in the 3-4. Even when we signed him, it wasnt clear we're he'd play. He was a little light for DE and he didn't seem to have the pass rushing skills to play OLB.

Can't really agree with this either. Justin was known back then as a good player on a crappy team. We went hard after Justin as a FA in 2008. Paid big money for a pretty damn good DL that turned into a great one.

Maybe I misinterpreted your post... but you made Justin seem average as a Bengal. It is that part that I don't agree with.

I'm just glad they're both on the Niners
What a useless pissing contest this thread is.
Different positions make it e very tough call.

I ave to go w/Justin because his pressure makes our secondary much better. He is ALWAYS double-teamed and still fights through it.

GREAT to have both of them on the team.
Willis. Smith is awesome, but Willis could end up being the best ever at his position.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
What a useless pissing contest this thread is.

Lol, you're one of those people.

Gross
Share 49ersWebzone