• Chief
  • Veteran

vs

World exploded. Cannot answ...Eric. Mind shutting....down
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Its honestly an intriguing argument, both have great points to make. I'm pretty torn.
I'm not that torn. I've never seen Justin have a bad game and usually he's having a ridiculous impact. How many other DL have you seen teams devote 3 OL to block like the Cards have done to Justin in the past? The answer is very very few. IE: The Reggie White's of the world.

I've seen Patrick have off games where he gets caught up in junk and takes himself out of position. The Chiefs game where Charles and Jones seemed to eat yardage at will against us was one of those games in particular. He just wasn't entirely on point and was a pretty big reason they were getting some of those chunk yards (by being out of position and getting sucked up into the blocking). To his credit I haven't seen him make too many more mistakes like that since then.

While Patrick might make few mistakes and is possibly the best tackler in the league, I never see Justin make mistakes and he's just as good a tackler at his respective position.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Jun 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM ]
Justin Smith is pretty easily the best defensive player in the NFL, IMO. That said, Willis is in the Top 5 and might be 4th behind Revis and Ware.
BTW, I am not pretty torn on this argument... The Niners have both of these guys... THAT IS AWESOME
  • mod
  • Veteran
I love them both, but Willis got hurt and we hardly skipped a beat... however, when smith got ejected from the chargers game for shoving a ref our defense seemed to totally collapse.
Originally posted by cashmahne:
Justin Smith is pretty easily the best defensive player in the NFL, IMO. That said, Willis is in the Top 5 and might be 4th behind Revis and Ware.

I agree with this, and I also agree that it's very nice to have both. Oh, and that Bowman kid isn't bad either. Or Culliver. Or Aldon. Culliver - look for him to have a huge year.

*edit*
I might put Willis ahead of Ware as I think he's more well rounded. Ware plays a slightly more important position and is incredible at getting pressure. The fact he's the only guy in the league recently to get more pressure than Justin Smith just says how good Justin has been for us (and look at the position difference). People can talk about awards, but media hype is so much the reason people often get them. It's not scouts watching film of all teams making these evaluations. It's writers, some of which barely saw the Niners play (no doubt) but who saw ESPN hyping the young rookie playing a more glamorous position than 3-4 end. It wasn't like the hype was undeserved either, it's just that Justin has deserved far more for many years now. He's insanely good.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Jun 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM ]
Since we were arguing about this on the top 100 list, it makes sense to put it here.

I love both players but Patrick 'beast' Willis is the best player on the 49ers. Justin Smith may have had a better year last year, but Willis has been an ALL PRO ever since he has been in this league. I believe cause we have lucked out with Bowman people will diminish his importance to this team. He is the face of our defense and the best MLB in the league hands down.
Between a rock and a hard place.

Both guys are the best players at their respective positions.

Justin Smith at DL = Patrick Willis at LB
Originally posted by Chief:

Its honestly an intriguing argument, both have great points to make. I'm pretty torn.

How bout a 3rd vote option,tie??I have a feelin you left that out to make people choose.no fence ridin???lol
I cant vote in good faith.love.em both.Cowboy's my favorite 9er,and both have different responsibilities.they both make each others job easier.jus glad we got em both
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jun 17, 2012 at 5:26 AM ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by Chief:

How bout a 3rd vote option,tie??I have a feelin you left that out to make people choose.no fence ridin???lol

Exactly, because I would vote tie if the option was there.
I'm curious if you had to choose though.

I think minus either payer this defense would suffer, but I feel Smith is slightly more important. when talking best MLB in the league there are 5-6 guys you could argue. When talking best 3-4 DE, IMO the only guy you could even compare to Smith is Ngata.
I love P52 but the answer is Justin Smith.

He's simply the most dominant force on the defensive side of the ball in the NFL.

Willis is a top 5 defensive player though.
Share 49ersWebzone