There are 165 users in the forums

Better Defensive Player?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Better Defensive Player?

Originally posted by dtcomposer:
I think Willis is the better player. We never heard about Smith being one of the top players in the game before last year because Aldon Smith wasn't wreaking havoc on the league yet. Smith has a great motor, but he is not a great athlete. Willis has a great Motor, and is the best tackler in the league. He is also the fastest LB in the league in game. He was used in coverage more last season, and bowman started playing really well too, so maybe some people thought he had an off year.

Smith is very very good, but Willis is going ot go down as one of the best ever assuming he continues his production.
In Fangio's defense I'm just not sure anymore. Unlike Ray Lewis, Willis seems to get stuck in assignments. The great players like Lewis and Troy P. are allowed a lot of freedom to use their instincts to play within the defense. I dont feel Willis is given that opporutnity and his best skill sets are almost neutralized in our current D. IMO, Willis is at his best when hitting and tackling and playing general zone, not running 20 yards downfield in man coverage on Jimmy Grahm...
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
I think Willis is the better player. We never heard about Smith being one of the top players in the game before last year because Aldon Smith wasn't wreaking havoc on the league yet. Smith has a great motor, but he is not a great athlete. Willis has a great Motor, and is the best tackler in the league. He is also the fastest LB in the league in game. He was used in coverage more last season, and bowman started playing really well too, so maybe some people thought he had an off year.

Smith is very very good, but Willis is going ot go down as one of the best ever assuming he continues his production.

This just shows you that some people don't understand defense. Aldon Smith wouldn't have half the sacks he had if it weren't for Justin Smith taking out two guys on the stunt they run. And Justin Smith has been dominating for the last 3 years now...but clearly you missed that.

Justin Smith is not a great athlete? Stop...now...please...
Can't really compare and pick one of these 2. They played different position. But if I have to pick one, I would pick Willis to build the defense around. Mainly because LB is a more important position in regard to what they are asking to do. Simply put -- play the run, and in Willis' case, pass coverage also. Willis' athleticism provide versatility for the defense to take away more of the field area.

Justin Smith is a never stop monster upfront, but I gotta take Willis and build from there.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by hateroids84:
Since we were arguing about this on the top 100 list, it makes sense to put it here.

I love both players but Patrick 'beast' Willis is the best player on the 49ers. Justin Smith may have had a better year last year, but Willis has been an ALL PRO ever since he has been in this league. I believe cause we have lucked out with Bowman people will diminish his importance to this team. He is the face of our defense and the best MLB in the league hands down.

Justin Smith is the best defensive player in the NFL. Not just last year, either. The guy has been our best player for the past 3 years, but only received proper credit last year. Patrick Willis is always going to win a poll like this (even though it's only slightly at the moment) because he is a 49er draftee and people have been making him out to be god around here ever since he arrived. Willis is the best MLB in football, but Justin Smith is the best overall defender in the league.

Don't forget what happened the one and only time Justin Smith missed playing time - our defense crumbled. Willis has missed more time and the defense has almost always performed in a similar fashion to when he is in (see: last year).

People on here make Willis out to be a 'god' because he has earned it ever since he has put on a 49ers jersey. He has been consistently amazing ever since his rookie season.

I will say Justin Smith is more valuable at this point only cause we have Navarro Bowman, another beast in the making. It would be tougher to replace Justin Smith at this point.

Justin is the engine of the defense while Patrick could be considered the driver; both are needed.
Patrick Willis will be in the hall of fame Justin Smith will not
Originally posted by DirtyP:

Yes because that answers the question.
Last year Justin was the better play. The year before it was Willis hands down. What will this year bring????? Both Top 5 Can't complain about either!
Originally posted by tmpluff:
Last year Justin was the better play. The year before it was Willis hands down. What will this year bring????? Both Top 5 Can't complain about either!

Good point!

Says who????
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
World exploded. Cannot answ...Eric. Mind shutting....down

Its honestly an intriguing argument, both have great points to make. I'm pretty torn.

How bout a 3rd vote option,tie??I have a feelin you left that out to make people choose.no fence ridin???lol

Exactly, because I would vote tie if the option was there.
I'm curious if you had to choose though.

I think minus either payer this defense would suffer, but I feel Smith is slightly more important. when talking best MLB in the league there are 5-6 guys you could argue. When talking best 3-4 DE, IMO the only guy you could even compare to Smith is Ngata.

If I had ta choose,Justin all day.ive always believed on a defense you build from the line of scrimmage back.good active players in the trenches,guys behind em are freed up to get after it.

call me a homer..... but as far as i'm concerned, the two best (healthy) defensive players in the league play for the niners.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Gotta go with Pat
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:

Says who????

Just curious, are you doubting Willis going to the HOF or that Smith won't?
Willis, easily.

Justin was nearly considered a bust early in his career. Willis instantly was in the elite status when he entered the league. Willis is the consensus best MLB in the game. Justin, even in his prime, is among the best, but he doesn't dominate his competition (other DEs) like Willis does.

I'm a huge Justin fan, but I think he'd be easier to replace than Willis. We're just fortunate to have guys like Bowman and McDonald complimenting them.
Share 49ersWebzone