There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Wide Receiver Assessment

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I never stated or suggested that Aldon was a luxury. That's how you read it. I was just stating how the circumstance was/is different therefore calls for a different approach and expectations. Fine, we disagree. The only person I think has an advantage over A.J. is Crabs. The guy went 30th overall to a team in dire need of a WR. I highly doubt JH isn't gonna put the kid in competition for the #3, 4, or 5 stop.

You seem to think first rounders (at least WRs) should start immediately. Aldon was a much higher pick than Jenkins so I inferred that you would have started Aldon. If this was an error then you have me thoroughly confused...a #7 pick should sit and bide his time but a #30 should start or be called a bust?

The team was in dire need of WRs so they went out and signed two veterans. If those veterans are as good as they are advertised they should be among the top three along with Crabtree, allowing Jenkins to sit and learn.

Lastly, I made it clear that he will compete and even that he may start sometime this coming season...so not sure why you choose to disagree.
Again, our 1st rounder won't be 2, 3, 4, or 4th on the depth chart.

Harbaugh has been consistent with the idea that players have to earn their role on the team. If AJ is better than the other WRs in camp/preseason, then HE WILL be a starter. If he isn't, then HE WON'T be a starter. Wherever he ends up on the depth chart will be determined by competition and performance. Harbaugh won't just give him a starting role just because he's a 1st rounder.

If Harbaugh determined depth chart position by draft status, then Aldon Smith would have been starting last season and Kaepernick wouldn't be competing for the #2 job this year.
Cut Kyle Williams. End thread
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:

everyone will be back on his jock by midseason.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
everyone will be back on his jock by midseason.

it won't go that far. people still rag on roger craig for the fumble against the giants (why is it always them?!?). Only way to mend fences is #6
[ Edited by TheGoldStandard on Jun 19, 2012 at 12:22 AM ]

I'm a fan of his. Believe me, I cussed his name for atleast a month after the NFC Championship game. However, I respect that he accepted it and worked his tail off to improve. He's a guy that could've taken the easier road and played baseball. It would've been more profitable and easier on his body, but he chose the harder path.

It sounds like he's really excelling in the slot, which could be huge for us. Manningham was signed as insurance and Kyle is fending him off thus far. We have a QB that relies on the short throws, so having a quick-twitch WR that can get open underneath is very valuable. We need more receivers that can move the chains and keep the offense on the field.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
You seem to think first rounders (at least WRs) should start immediately. Aldon was a much higher pick than Jenkins so I inferred that you would have started Aldon. If this was an error then you have me thoroughly confused...a #7 pick should sit and bide his time but a #30 should start or be called a bust?

The team was in dire need of WRs so they went out and signed two veterans. If those veterans are as good as they are advertised they should be among the top three along with Crabtree, allowing Jenkins to sit and learn.

Lastly, I made it clear that he will compete and even that he may start sometime this coming season...so not sure why you choose to disagree.
For the most part 1st rounders DO come in and start, and that's pretty much the same regardless of were he was drafted. (People act as if late 1st is undrafted.) And again, Aldon was a different situation and a different position, calling for a different approach. In front of Aldon was Brooks and Haralson. Can't get much better than Brooks, but Haralson, while stellar against the run and better than decent as a pass defender, his pass-rushing wasn't as good as hoped, thought he often got good pressure so that made him a very capable place-holder for Aldon. Plus, while pass-rusher was a need, it wasn't costing this team to the extent that the WR position was. Even w/o a consistent pass rush this D was still one of the top D's in the league. A 1st rounder's expectations are much different than a free agent. The guy in front of A.J. is Crabs, at best a disappointment given were Crabs was drafted. A.J.'s skill-set gives this team and coaching staff many options that no other WR on the roster gives. With A.J. you get speed, consistent hands (deep and short), separation, toughness, dedication, deep threat, smarts, and durability all in one guy (JH loves "value"). With Crabs you get good hands, but he's not consistent with it, he's often injured, not a deep threat and isn't know for having speed. With Moss you get the deep threat and separation, but his toughness and dedication has always been a major question, and doesn't have consistent hands in the short game. Manningham is good in the short game but, again, won't be a deep threat or get separation unless it's schemed. Williams (along with A.J.) is perhaps the toughest WR we have and has good speed and will get separation, but he lacks consistency and has durability questions. And Ginn is just a good returner. While A.J. isn't the physical specimen I was hoping for no other WR on the roster is either. And it's clear that that type of WR wasn't what this coaching staff was looking for.

No other WR on the roster brings to the table the package of skills that A.J. does. All he needs is reps. So, sitting a guy like A.J. a few games and then putting him in won't make much sense given the package of skills he brings. Now I don't care how well advertised the FA vets have been. I have my own reason why I think they are being so advertised along with the OTA struggles of A.J. are being advertised (or overblown). JH & Co. won't rely on a 35 year old to come or a solid #3 WR to come in and start over the guy drafted 1st. Moss and Mannigham won't get the reps. that A.J. will. A.J. won't be worse than #2 when it's all said and done. That's why I choose to disagree with you.
This won't go over well, but right now? For this season, which I dub our genuine SB run? I have more confidence in Alex throwing to Kyle W than I do him throwing to Jenkins. I know some may wish to suggest then that I hate or think AJJ is teh suxxorz, but that is simply not the case. I liked what I saw of Kyle W as a WR, and have more trust in him right now than I do with the rookie. I'm just unwilling to believe as of yet that Jenkins can right away contribute more to our SB run than can vets like Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, or Kyle W.

Overall though, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else believes. I trust that Jim will assess the situation and give those that earn it, the most opportunities. ( and that's fine by me )
Originally posted by oldman9er:
This won't go over well, but right now? For this season, which I dub our genuine SB run? I have more confidence in Alex throwing to Kyle W than I do him throwing to Jenkins. I know some may wish to suggest then that I hate or think AJJ is teh suxxorz, but that is simply not the case. I liked what I saw of Kyle W as a WR, and have more trust in him right now than I do with the rookie. I'm just unwilling to believe as of yet that Jenkins can right away contribute more to our SB run than can vets like Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, or Kyle W.

Overall though, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else believes. I trust that Jim will assess the situation and give those that earn it, the most opportunities. ( and that's fine by me )

I'll let this stand as my response to 9ersLiferInChicago's post as it pretty much sums up my point of view.
Some people are late bloomers. Maybe AJ will take a while to get into the groove.

If he can learn from Moss & company that would be a good thing. He needs to get w/JRice and get into football condition ASAP.

It's great hearing about Crabs picking up steam and starting to put it all together.

This is VD's year.

Kyle will surprise a lot of people.

No way Ginn doesn't make the team.
I don't think AJ will beat out Moss, Crabs, or Manningham. And right now Williams is making it difficult to beat him as well. The best part about drafting a WR this year was that he didn't have to start right away. The WRs we have I think are capable and reliable this year for us to make a run at a Super Bowl. AJ will play and maybe even start, but his pick was a luxury. Just because he is a 1st round pick does not mean he has to start right away. Its way to early to make a depth chart anyway. I hope the best WRs play and if AJ isn't out there I hope he is taking notes becasue he will be relied on in the next couple of years.
For the most part 1st rounders DO come in and start, and that's pretty much the same regardless of were he was drafted.

I was going to let this rest but just for fun...looked up Jerry Rice stats. He started four of sixteen games his rookie year. That's after the 9ers traded up to get him and with Bill Walsh as coach. Evidently Walsh did not agree with you...he made Rice earn his time on the field and Rice did. He had a good year mostly coming off the bench...kind of like Aldon. And before you say how great the 9er receivers were then...they now have two first round picks ahead of him--Moss and Crabtree.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

why?what has he done in camp to warrant being cut? sounds like he is fourth best right now and you do not cut your fourth best wide out. what else other than his name warrants a cut? i know what this is about but that is so 6 months ago. As i have said for the millionth time,,,,, if he was going to be cut for mistakes made in the giants game, it would have been done already so get over it. you cut people based upon performance and right now he is out doing the kid we drafted, ginn and is running third or fourth. You gotta have a good reason to cut him now and sorry,you do not have one
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
it won't go that far. people still rag on roger craig for the fumble against the giants (why is it always them?!?). Only way to mend fences is #6

not everyone rails against craig and those who do so are not logical, 20 plus years ago please, even the kyle williams mistakes are 6 months old. get over it
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home