LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

49ers Wide Receiver Assessment

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Oh, that's fair. If you are talking about as a team (vs as a player), then it can speak volumes. I forget the exacts, but we were a team ranked like # 2 in least amount of passes thrown... yet somehow we were also in the top 10 collectively of drops. So that is a stat that can tell us quite a bit.

Interesting comment! I think that there are times when receivers drop more when they are not catching often enough to keep in the groove. I remember Rice complaining about this...five or six minutes without seeing the ball and then boom. He managed to overcome it though. Both Manningham and Moss worry me in this regard as they are not possession receivers but more big play guys--or is that an incorrect perception?

I worry that drops will go up next year. Maybe it would be OK as long as they don't bounce into DBs hands.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Oh, that's fair. If you are talking about as a team (vs as a player), then it can speak volumes. I forget the exacts, but we were a team ranked like # 2 in least amount of passes thrown... yet somehow we were also in the top 10 collectively of drops. So that is a stat that can tell us quite a bit.

Interesting comment! I think that there are times when receivers drop more when they are not catching often enough to keep in the groove. I remember Rice complaining about this...five or six minutes without seeing the ball and then boom. He managed to overcome it though. Both Manningham and Moss worry me in this regard as they are not possession receivers but more big play guys--or is that an incorrect perception?

I worry that drops will go up next year. Maybe it would be OK as long as they don't bounce into DBs hands.

Or off of Ted Ginn's head.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Or off of Ted Ginn's head.

LOL! Or that!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Not perfectly sure about the Manningham question.

Always a concern. What we saw last year at moments was... quite frankly, a lot of luck at times. Too many batted passes because our OL allowed DL to get hands up.... too many volley-tipped receiver drops that could have fallen into enemy hands. Hope we stay a bit lucky there, or more importantly, the OL and receivers keep those issues to a minimal.

It can tell us quite a bit but it can also be misleading. Drops are situational statistics.
Originally posted by mustangmele:
I have ripped Michael Crabtree in the past... but for a few different reasons I think this year he's going to put up pro bowl numbers.

What reasons?
Originally posted by DirtyP:

It can tell us quite a bit but it can also be misleading. Drops are situational statistics.

Not sure I follow. Some drops are more critical than others (down-distance/TDs/etc), sure... but a statistic showing drops from a collective group are still.. drops. So will you elaborate on what is misleading? A team that has lots more pass attempts is likely to have more drops.. Yet we, knowing we had the 2nd least attempts... still had an unpleasant number of drops.

Not sure I follow. Some drops are more critical than others (down-distance/TDs/etc), sure... but a statistic showing drops from a collective group are still.. drops. So will you elaborate on what is misleading? A team that has lots more pass attempts is likely to have more drops.. Yet we, knowing we had the 2nd least attempts... still had an unpleasant number of drops.

We led the NFL in drop % and were 2nd or 3rd in overall dropped passes
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

We led the NFL in drop % and were 2nd or 3rd in overall dropped passes

Yes, but our receivers were so good that they did instant situation analysis to determine when the drops could be accomplished without affecting the outcome of the game...thereby making the 9ers drop rate statistically insignificant. Other teams were less adept at this analysis.
also. you can look at players individually and talk about drops being insignificant.but not as a team.

TO, marshall, or really any receiver who is thinking TD every play and can achieve it, you can excuse a dropped ball knowing they were peeking to make a big play and not to avoid a hit. and as a QB you know, the next play he can(will) take it for huge yardage next time you go his way.

players like issac bruce, tory holt, ginn, can not afford to drop because they rarely get YAC. though the first 2 could, they usually dove instead of getting hit.

or to simplify, a big play guy can be forgiven for several drops, a possesion guy can not be.

1- Crabtree
2- Moss
3- Manningham
4- Williams
5- Jenkins
6- Ginn
Share 49ersWebzone