Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 585 users in the forums

Best 4 Linebackers in the Game?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Very cool...http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/67870/a-surprise-choice-for-49ers-breakout-player#comments?login=-1&errors=Member+name+and+password+were+not+found.++Please+try+again.

Brooks is picked to be the breakout player of the year on defense for us (see Whitner's points - all good ones). That said, he lead the team in TFL last year, was very good in coverage and only 2 SAM's had more sacks than his 7 (Woodley @ 9.5 & Kerrigan @ 7.5). Barwin rotated between WILL & SAM and that is why he had 11.5. Reed had 6 from the starting WILL position on the other side; in short, they used Barwin like how the Packers used Matthews, moving him all over the place to create mismatches even though he was slated as the "starting SAM." Whitner also makes a great point about how Brooks was THE OLB who was double-teamed all year and still had a monster year. For this year, with teams having to focus on Justin Smith & Aldon Smith, Brooks could be free to injure even more QB's and approach low double-digit sacks (which is like getting high double-digit sacks from the WILL position). He's also got the contract and peace-of-mind to go balls out and he looks to be in the best shape I have ever seen him and I believe he had perfect attendance all off-season with Justin Smith. Man, this LB corp is amazing!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM ]
I don't think we have best 4 just yet. The potential is certainly there. Willis & Bowman. Aldon is still learning to be an every down guy. But the talent is there. Brooks is solid if not underrated. If Aldon can be all he can be this coming year, I would put these guys up against any group and have a go at it.
My top 5 (Couldn't get down to 4)

Patrick Willis
DeMarcus Ware
Clay Matthews
NaVorro Bowman
Terrell Suggs

If this was 3 years ago I would put Ray Lewis high, but he has fallen off a tad, he would be 6, with Orakpo and Kerrigan behind him.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
My top 5 (Couldn't get down to 4)

Patrick Willis
DeMarcus Ware
Clay Matthews
NaVorro Bowman
Terrell Suggs

If this was 3 years ago I would put Ray Lewis high, but he has fallen off a tad, he would be 6, with Orakpo and Kerrigan behind him.

Yeah, I honestly don't even know how to answer it...based on production from last year at each 3-4 position? Overall career, consistency, taking into consideration they types of 3-4 schemes, what is asked of each players (e.g. Willis being asked to cover more last year), etc. That's why I just showed the top three productive stats (sacks, tackles and tackles for loss) to at least get perspective. What I learned is that some guys had some MONSTER individual years and you can see how certain 3-4's are run differently than others.

You probably nailed it on overall guys...dream team of a 3-4 LB group though!
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
My top 5 (Couldn't get down to 4)

Patrick Willis
DeMarcus Ware
Clay Matthews
NaVorro Bowman
Terrell Suggs

If this was 3 years ago I would put Ray Lewis high, but he has fallen off a tad, he would be 6, with Orakpo and Kerrigan behind him.

Cameron Wake has done way more than enough to deserve a mention. He's been better than Matthews (slightly).
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
My top 5 (Couldn't get down to 4)

Patrick Willis
DeMarcus Ware
Clay Matthews
NaVorro Bowman
Terrell Suggs

If this was 3 years ago I would put Ray Lewis high, but he has fallen off a tad, he would be 6, with Orakpo and Kerrigan behind him.

Cameron Wake has done way more than enough to deserve a mention. He's been better than Matthews (slightly).

True, not sure why I forgot Wake, has made a huge impact for the Dolphins.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
True, not sure why I forgot Wake, has made a huge impact for the Dolphins.

Credit Parcells, guy has an eye for OLB's.
Aldon Smith is going to be on that list preeeetty soon.
parcels drafted Bobby Carpenter...... Lmao
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone