There are 272 users in the forums

Who was the worst 49er HC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who was the worst 49er HC?

Originally posted by dchrie:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Nolan built the core of this team... Singletary didnt do jack

McCloughan built the core of this team, Nolan brought in Alex Smith

Nolan drafted Gore, Willis, Davis, Staley, McDonald, Goldson, and Brown. He also persuaded Justin Smith to sign here and got Clements and Lewis (two guys we needed while they were here). McCloughan after he took over all personnel decisions drafted Balmer, Rachal, Wallace, and Coffee.
Originally posted by dcsham:
None of the above. Back before Bill Walsh, we had a one year combo of Ken Meyer and Pete McCulley. I would take any of the three you list over those two.

That is a fact. Those days were horriable. But it brought us to the Walsh era.
At least the presence of Singletary prevented them from bringing in Pete Carroll when he was fleeing the NCAA
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
None of the above. Back before Bill Walsh, we had a one year combo of Ken Meyer and Pete McCulley. I would take any of the three you list over those two.

That is a fact. Those days were horriable. But it brought us to the Walsh era.

I remember those days too. I became a lukewarm 49er fan during the Monte Clark era, only to see everything spiral downward when Joe Thomas became GM. Thank God Eddie D redeemed himself by hiring Walsh. As bad as it was while Erickson, Nolan and Singletary were coaching, the Joe Thomas period exceeded it for awfulness.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Anyone who said singletary has a short memory. Erikson was horrible.

But Sing had more talent and squandered it at every opportunity...
This dude who used to work at the Gym i go too played for the Niners for 1 year during the Erikson era (error).. he said that Erikson was a joke of a coach and almost never even involved with the team and basiclly collecting a free paycheck for as long as they would let him. And no i cannot remember this guys name because when he told me i had never even heard of him but he said he used to chill with Justin Smiley all the time that year which made it sound legit to me.
Singletary. for the fact that he pulled his pants down in front of the whole team when he should have been talking X's and O's

Not sure about this--they had Joe Thomas giving away players and turning the team into a CFL clone. Not sure even Walsh could have won with a GM that bad.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
the kicking game was unfortunate, but under Erickson the niners were a much less discipline team. stupid turnovers, bad penalties.... marks of a bad coaching.

this times 1000. we could have oversome a bad kicker, we did before but we just shot ourselves in the foot so much and it got to be a point where the team was just not ready to play,, all on the coach,, all of it
Originally posted by sachie23:
Singletary was the worst "coach" but Nolan's tenure was a bigger train wreck imo. He did a decent job of getting talent on the roster but his handling of it was terrible. Not to mention he did not let his players attend Bill Walsh's funeral which I can never let go. Classless move.

Damn, forgot all about that.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Dingletary by a landslide, are you guys forgetting how unprepared we were on Sunday's? I think I remember 9 guys on the field to kick a FG once, wtf?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
The one that did the most damage was Nolan. Completely dismantled the team and filled it with Nolan guys.
[ Edited by kray28 on Jun 12, 2012 at 5:59 PM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
Dingletary by a landslide, are you guys forgetting how unprepared we were on Sunday's? I think I remember 9 guys on the field to kick a FG once, wtf?

lol yeah that was bad. But I'll never forget that one beating the Bears gave us in 06 under Nolan. We were down 41-0 at halftime!
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
But Sing had more talent and squandered it at every opportunity...

Erickson inherited a playoff team that had gone 10-6 and 12-4 the year before. He wasn't the worst coach by a longshot though. The next year, he got a team with no TO and no QB.

Coach Suit got a team with less talent, and proceeded to strip it of even more talent by completely purging the roster.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFrush:
lol yeah that was bad. But I'll never forget that one beating the Bears gave us in 06 under Nolan. We were down 41-0 at halftime!

Singletary was the worst tactician and game manager. A non Xs and Os guy who completely left the game plan up to his assistants and was literally out of the loop for much of the game.
Share 49ersWebzone