There are 146 users in the forums

Who was the worst 49er HC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who was the worst 49er HC?

don't care for erickson, but lets be honest that he got a raw deal in 2004. every other season as a pro coach he was hovering right around .500 with talent that ranged from mediocre to pretty darn good. this over 5 seasons indicates mediocre coach. that 2004 squad was god awful in terms of talent and no coach would have won more than five games with that garbage that terry donahue gave him. i blame that season mostly on donahue. that said, he was still a crap coach.

nolan was just plain bad. guy knew a fair amount, but he was a total politician and couldn't fix jack. and he was an a*****e who'd throw anyone under the bus to save his ass.

singletary, abosolute trash. he had no business being a head coach in the first place. for everything you can fault his two predecessors for, they could at least remember important things that happened in the game, even if they followed it up with lame excuses. singletary just plain had no clue. if he didn't have the benefit of a squad with years of high draft picks stacked up on it, he never would have won anything.

so if i have to rank them, singletard was the worst, followed by nolan-erickson in a tie.
Originally posted by LanceQ:
2010 it really showed that he didn't know what he was doing. Clock management was simply horrible. I just couldn't understand why we couldn't the plays in on time and when they did come in, it was just in time...barely.

There was a communication problem on the offensive side. Raye had a favorite assistant who relayed his instructions to the field in 2009. In 2010, Singletary attempting to put in a more proper chain of command, switched that guy out, and it was a mess as the result. The new guy at times couldn't understand what Raye wanted to say.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Erickson was HORRIBLE ...Even though the team was in salary cap hell, and Ken Dorsey & Tim Rattay were our QB's , he never put a strong team on the field, his debut as a coach in week #1 was decent, but the team could never get it right the rest of the season ...what a horrible season that was

Since Erickson never had any authority on personnel, it's unfair to blame him for the sorry state of the team that was put on the field in 2004. However he deserved the blame for how badly the team was coached. Much has been talked about the low ranking of the 49ers passing game in 2011, but looking closely at the numbers, we'd see an efficient passing game, decent results for very low number of attempts. It was not the case in 2004. The QBs made number 6 ranking in passing attempts, but in terms of passing yardage, the team was ranked only 20th, and even worse in passing TDs and INTs. On the defensive side, the 49ers of 2004 ranked rock bottom. The GM deserved much of the blame for destroying the team, but Dr. York should never have hired Erickson.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Erickson was HORRIBLE ...Even though the team was in salary cap hell, and Ken Dorsey & Tim Rattay were our QB's , he never put a strong team on the field, his debut as a coach in week #1 was decent, but the team could never get it right the rest of the season ...what a horrible season that was

Since Erickson never had any authority on personnel, it's unfair to blame him for the sorry state of the team that was put on the field in 2004. However he deserved the blame for how badly the team was coached. Much has been talked about the low ranking of the 49ers passing game in 2011, but looking closely at the numbers, we'd see an efficient passing game, decent results for very low number of attempts. It was not the case in 2004. The QBs made number 6 ranking in passing attempts, but in terms of passing yardage, the team was ranked only 20th, and even worse in passing TDs and INTs. On the defensive side, the 49ers of 2004 ranked rock bottom. The GM deserved much of the blame for destroying the team, but Dr. York should never have hired Erickson.

Yep, you can't blame or credit any of the coaches for personnel. Sure, they had input and may be responsible for a handful of the players. We should be judging them on coaching only.
Singletary because he wasnt even a head coach or coordinator before fhat. He was an assistant and lb coach. Bad decision by young york. My has he grown.
It is definitely not Dennis Erickson.

Do you remember all the missed Extra Points we had?
And then having Jeff Garcia, T.O., Hearst, A. Plummer, Rumph, Parish and a ton of other studs going down with injury?
And then we low balled him by releasing ALL of our studs..

Just imagine how bad Singletary would have been had he had the talent on that 2-14 team. We would have eclipsed the 0-16 Lions.
Most of our best players come from Nolan. Erickson lost all the talent after one year. I say singletary was worse, only good thing he did was get veron to pro bowl level
I gotta say, while it was painful watching 49er football the last decade, you guys are giving me a lot to laugh about making fun of these clowns.

That picture of Nolan taking a nap in the other thread was EPIC!
What are a head coaches responsibilities?

-Assistant coaches
-Game day planning
-Game day management
-Player/Personnel
-Media

Singletary only excelled at motivational speaking with players.
all of them were missing key qualities to be a good coach

erickson had little to no talent on his team

nolan was an egomaniac douchebag

singletary couldnt come up with a decent gameplan to save his life.

if they were combined together they would make a good coach

Originally posted by Chico:
WTF? Nolan didn't let the players go to Walsh's funeral? Are you serioius? That's just down right WRONG!!! Nolan now gets my vote for worst HC in the history of the NFL!!! not just the 49ers!!!

If I remember right Nolan went but the team practiced instead. I don't think that sat well with the a lot of 49er people from some things I had read about it.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
singeltary

we basically had a talent level of 12 to 13 wins and he got us 6

Yes, but Erickson took a team that went to the NFC championship and turned it into a team that took a decade to rebuild.

The disatrous salary-cap issues at the time and the incompetence of Terry Donahue may have also played a part in it.

I thought about that as I wrote it, but in truth, he should have looked at the situation and walked. That is part of coaching...knowing what you have to work with and then setting reasonable expectations and plans to get to where you need to be.
Anyone who said singletary has a short memory. Erikson was horrible.
[ Edited by VA49er on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I thought about that as I wrote it, but in truth, he should have looked at the situation and walked. That is part of coaching...knowing what you have to work with and then setting reasonable expectations and plans to get to where you need to be.

This is what sets Harbaugh apart from these coaches, the ability to properly evaluate your team and put realistic plans in place to get where you want to be. Also the ability to get the right coaches around you to help you evaluate the team and identify what needs to be done.
Erickson, by far.
Share 49ersWebzone