LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Who was the worst 49er HC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who was the worst 49er HC?

Dennis Ericsson

• dj43
Originally posted by dcsham:
None of the above. Back before Bill Walsh, we had a one year combo of Ken Meyer and Pete McCulley. I would take any of the three you list over those two.

True but you are letting your age show.
Erickson was the worst imo, followed closely by Singletary.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
The one that did the most damage was Nolan. Completely dismantled the team and filled it with Nolan guys.
remember those times,,,, what is a nolan guy!!! i miss nolanmustdie and nolannonsense
Originally posted by NickSh49:
But Sing had more talent and squandered it at every opportunity...

Erickson inherited a playoff team that had gone 10-6 and 12-4 the year before. He wasn't the worst coach by a longshot though. The next year, he got a team with no TO and no QB.

Coach Suit got a team with less talent, and proceeded to strip it of even more talent by completely purging the roster.

Guys that Nolan drafted/signed have gone to a combine 16 probowls with us. He also signed 2 DB's who had been to previous probowls. Seven starters on our defense were brought in by Nolan. Eight guys who started games on offense last year were also Nolan guys.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Guys that Nolan drafted/signed have gone to a combine 16 probowls with us. He also signed 2 DB's who had been to previous probowls. Seven starters on our defense were brought in by Nolan. Eight guys who started games on offense last year were also Nolan guys.
i was a nolan guy. I got banned cuz i had an emotional reaction when someone made fun of his dead dad. I was in denial but he was in over his head as a head coach. He had no people skills and struggled to motivate his players plus he messed up 21 year old alex all to hell. I think he should have been a gm. He is still better than sing and finger up my butt expression erickson.That is truly a sad bar i have just set
Originally posted by cciowa:
i was a nolan guy. I got banned cuz i had an emotional reaction when someone made fun of his dead dad. I was in denial but he was in over his head as a head coach. He had no people skills and struggled to motivate his players plus he messed up 21 year old alex all to hell. I think he should have been a gm. He is still better than sing and finger up my butt expression erickson.That is truly a sad bar i have just set

I agree. I was chatting with a Falcons fan and he was excited about getting Nolan. I basically told him that hes a good dude and could do worse but that he isn't a great defensive play caller, a very good "recruiter" though. Not that Id ever want to do it over but Id take him and a Norv Turner over the other choices.

Erickson inherited a playoff team that had gone 10-6 and 12-4 the year before. He wasn't the worst coach by a longshot though. The next year, he got a team with no TO and no QB.

Coach Suit got a team with less talent, and proceeded to strip it of even more talent by completely purging the roster.

Smith n Crabtree vs Garcia n Owens

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

if i recall garcia went public and begged the niners to take him back when nolan was the head coach.i thought that would be perfect to get him back and have him mentor smith for a few years

if i recall garcia went public and begged the niners to take him back when nolan was the head coach.i thought that would be perfect to get him back and have him mentor smith for a few years

I don't remember if Garcia did or not, but i know Rice did for sure. and Nolan didn't want to take him in..... you know.... to save a roster spot for Jason McAddley.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Another vote for Dingletary, Harbaugh took his 6-10 team and made it 13-3, could Harbaugh have done that with the talent on Erickson's or Nolan's teams? I don't think so.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I don't remember if Garcia did or not, but i know Rice did for sure. and Nolan didn't want to take him in..... you know.... to save a roster spot for Jason McAddley.
damn ,i forgot that one. same era as brian gilmore? The sad thing was I was such a nolan bathwater drinker i was ok with that move saying we need to move on from the past. Then I wanted them to sign david boston,,,, sheesh, no wonder my room mate , at the time, put a two way lock on my door
damn ,i forgot that one. same era as brian gilmore? The sad thing was I was such a nolan bathwater drinker i was ok with that move saying we need to move on from the past. Then I wanted them to sign david boston,,,, sheesh, no wonder my room mate , at the time, put a two way lock on my door

lol. i still would take david boston's roiding a*s over anybody we had at the time. i would have signed him and put him on the line over Kwame.

...sheet i'd rather start Andy Lee at left tackle than Kwame..... you know he would have punted Rocky Bernard out of candlestick.

Nolan didnt "purge" Garcia and Owens. I cant really recall any players he cut that went on to do anything noteworthy, maybe Antonio Bryant who had a really good year in Tampa.
He obviously mishandled Alex and that is ultimately why he was fired he also wasnt here when Crabtree was drafted.
Oh man, David Boston. There's a name I haven't heard too much recently. My personal vote goes to Singletary. Wasn't he the one who didn't want to draft Willis? I think Erickson was inhibited by Donahue. I think Nolan would make a solid GM.
Share 49ersWebzone