There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who was the worst 49er HC?

Who was the worst 49er HC?

Erickson seemed generally clueless to me. His drafts were underwhelming and his coaching was less than mediocre. I'm a bit more forgiving because he inherited a sinking team although you could argue that he exacerbated the situation.

Nolan new jack about offense and put little faith in offensive continuity. We went from WCO, to modified Coryell (IIRC) to the Hostler and then Martz in three years. Nolan however could attract FAs with the best of them. Till this day I thank him for his helicopter ride with Justin Smith.

As for Singletary, he just wasn't HC material in general. He rode a weak second half schedule into a permanent role. Seemed too intense and knew nothing about game-planning. However, he did bench Chilo, start Goldson (IIRC) and bring the best out of Vernon Davis. Davis looked like a bust before Singletary sent him off.
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:40 AM ]
Erickson, IMO. I can't think of one single thing off the top of my head that had any lasting positive impact to this team. Maybe drafting Sopoaga? But even then, he wasn't GM pulling the trigger.

As bad as Nolan was during the season, he was an A+ offseason coach. Too bad for him that pesky regular season kept getting in the way or he'd be a HOF coach.

Regarding Singletary, he turned VD into a man. That's pretty much it, but it's something.
None of the above. Back before Bill Walsh, we had a one year combo of Ken Meyer and Pete McCulley. I would take any of the three you list over those two.
Originally posted by dcsham:
None of the above. Back before Bill Walsh, we had a one year combo of Ken Meyer and Pete McCulley. I would take any of the three you list over those two.

Originally posted by ghostrider:

Lol, exactly...
Singletary and its not close
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

He put in the 'nutcracker' drill in NFL practice. Possibly one of the worst coach in the NFL.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM ]
It's not a coincidence that none of these guys have been head coaches for any other NFL team since leaving the Niners.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Yes, they were right after the awesome monte clark who told joe thomas to go f**k himself. we had oj simpson on offense back then and a coked up hollywood henderson on defense , My vote does go for Erickson. He also had this thumb up my butt look on his face.The only scrap I will throw him is that he did show lots of class when they fired him. He went over and had a long press deal with the media. Mooch on the other hand went into the witness protection program and left niner headquarters in a van with tinted windows. i had high hopes for nolan cuz his dad was the coach for the niners when I first became a fan. I have no time for sing who did nothing, I have a hard time giving him credit for davis. He was a drama queen , got guys hurt with the nutcracker and was worthless
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

Well that could be true however he is a lot of the reason why our defense is so good and why we have so many good defensive players. Keep in mind most of those guys were already here long before Harbaugh showed up. Also he is a big reason why Patrick Willis is so good. Singletary was an excellent position coach (especially LB the position he played) he was just a terrible head coach and had no brain when it game to the offense.
[ Edited by BayArea on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:07 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BayArea:
Well that could be true however he is a lot of the reason why our defense is so good and why we have so many good defensive players. Keep in mind most of those guys were already here long before Harbaugh showed up. Also he is a big reason why Patrick Willis is so good. Singletary was an excellent player coach he was just a terrible head coach and had no brain when it game to the offense.
Just another in a very long list of great players who failed at being head coaches. they think everyone should play and focus like them. I think thier brains are different. Its just not football with people like sing, bart starr, forest gregg,, baseball to. Bob Gibson was one of the best pitchers ever but he was horrid as a pitching coach
I'll go with Singletary, although Erickson is very close.

Singletary was a motivator, that's it. Not a coach in any capacity. The team fed off his energy initially and pulled out a few wins based solely on change and player talent. Once they needed him to actually coach, he couldn't in any fashion.

Erickson, much like Singletary, got by on player talent alone in the beginning. That 2003 team still had Garcia and Owens, and that combo was only enough to get the 49ers to 7 wins. The following year might as well have been a winless season, with two wins coming against the lowly Cardinals, both by FG's, in overtime. Truly dismal. In his defense though, the team gutted the roster down to one that was equivalent or worse than a expansion team. So he really didn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

Nolan certainly had his issues, but he seemed much more competent than the other two. His shortcoming centered around lack of offensive knowledge and more so, the inability to keep competent offensive coordinators on board (McCarthy, Turner). He knew he needed an offensive guru, which was smart of him. The issue was that they couldn't hold onto anyone. As for defense, he wasn't great at that either. The Niners failed miserably at making the big stop when they needed it most and routinely failed to shut down offenses on 3rd downs. So lack of offensive intellect, the big nickel (ugh), inability to make in-game/game-to-game adjustments, and undermining his QB ultimately did him in.

Ahhh Harbaugh, our savior, so glad to have you here. We've paid our dues!
[ Edited by NinerPrideinNJ on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM ]
Wow...So much Singletary bashing and it it really is unwarranted. Nolan/Erickson have been much worse for the 49ers.

It's pretty funny, I remember when Singletary tried to instill this run first - play physical on both sides of the ball - and protect the football - type of philosophy ,and most just scoffed at it (doesn't Harbaugh have a similar philosophy?). Yes, Singletary wasn't that football savvy on offense like Jim is, but when it comes to "how to win games" and even their personality, they aren't that different.

Singletary deserves credit from turning this team around, especially when it came to helping players grow up, mature, and play the game with tenacity. This was a very young team when Singletary took over and he had a lot to do with creating this physical beast we have. Remember the "Big Tickle"? We were a joke under Nolan, and especially Erickson. At least Singletary got this team ready for battle and gave it a tough mindset.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Wow...So much Singletary bashing and it it really is unwarranted. Nolan/Erickson have been much worse for the 49ers.

It's pretty funny, I remember when Singletary tried to instill this run first - play physical on both sides of the ball - and protect the football - type of philosophy ,and most just scoffed at it (doesn't Harbaugh have a similar philosophy?). Yes, Singletary wasn't that football savvy on offense like Jim is, but when it comes to "how to win games" and even their personality, they aren't that different.

Singletary deserves credit from turning this team around, especially when it came to helping players grow up, mature, and play the game with tenacity. This was a very young team when Singletary took over and he had a lot to do with creating this physical beast we have. Remember the "Big Tickle"? We were a joke under Nolan, and especially Erickson. At least Singletary got this team ready for battle and gave it a tough mindset.

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

he never taught us how to play on the road. How many times were we blown out on the road? he never knew about halftime adjustments. he did not know or he did not care about offense.And of course when questioned about all of the above, he had to check the film and of course there was never a followup on what he found out from the film. He was a drama queen who had to put the focus on himself. he was the medias best friend cuz he threw players under the bus in public which they love. terrible, just terrible
rock - paper - scissors. you can make a case for any of them being the worst thake your pick.