LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Who was the worst 49er HC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who was the worst 49er HC?

I'd say Singletary. He did the least with the most. Erickson was a fall guy and went 7-9 with a mediocre team then 2-14 with a team that even Bill Walsh would only get 4 wins with. Nolan I think at least tried to build a good team but he wouldn't stay out of the offensive play calling. He was the head coach though so its hard to blame him for that.
Erickson was HORRIBLE ...Even though the team was in salary cap hell, and Ken Dorsey & Tim Rattay were our QB's , he never put a strong team on the field, his debut as a coach in week #1 was decent, but the team could never get it right the rest of the season ...what a horrible season that was
Having had quite a journey through life I've learned to "accentuate the positives and avoid the negatives" but that said it would have to be whoever created the team that had NO OFFENSIVE LINE and almost got Smith killed.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Singletary and its not close

2010 it really showed that he didn't know what he was doing. Clock management was simply horrible. I just couldn't understand why we couldn't the plays in on time and when they did come in, it was just in time...barely.
Nolan because he brought himself AND Singletary to the Niners.
[ Edited by mickey49 on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Erickson was HORRIBLE ...Even though the team was in salary cap hell, and Ken Dorsey & Tim Rattay were our QB's , he never put a strong team on the field, his debut as a coach in week #1 was decent, but the team could never get it right the rest of the season ...what a horrible season that was

I remember steve young ripping erickson for keeping the team inside when we had to play at the ravens. He said George and Bill would have had the niners out there practicing in the bad weather. Thats it, i hated erickson from then on.
Erickson is the worst that I've seen. Singletary runs a close 2nd.

Nolan would have been okay if he could have kept a decent OC or if he had followed a retiring HC that had left an established offense.
singeltary

we basically had a talent level of 12 to 13 wins and he got us 6
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Singletary! Hands down! Not a coach...great motivator but that was about it. didn't know the X's & O's on offense, didn't know what plays to call, and wasted a pick on Taylor Mays!
Singletary was the worst "coach" but Nolan's tenure was a bigger train wreck imo. He did a decent job of getting talent on the roster but his handling of it was terrible. Not to mention he did not let his players attend Bill Walsh's funeral which I can never let go. Classless move.

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
singeltary

we basically had a talent level of 12 to 13 wins and he got us 6

Yes, but Erickson took a team that went to the NFC championship and turned it into a team that took a decade to rebuild.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Yes, but Erickson took a team that went to the NFC championship and turned it into a team that took a decade to rebuild.

agree. some can blame lack of a kicker but come on , there was no way we should have ended up the way we did.
Damn, we made some bad ass decisions.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sachie23:
Singletary was the worst "coach" but Nolan's tenure was a bigger train wreck imo. He did a decent job of getting talent on the roster but his handling of it was terrible. Not to mention he did not let his players attend Bill Walsh's funeral which I can never let go. Classless move.

WTF? Nolan didn't let the players go to Walsh's funeral? Are you serioius? That's just down right WRONG!!! Nolan now gets my vote for worst HC in the history of the NFL!!! not just the 49ers!!!
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by sachie23:

WTF? Nolan didn't let the players go to Walsh's funeral? Are you serioius? That's just down right WRONG!!! Nolan now gets my vote for worst HC in the history of the NFL!!! not just the 49ers!!!

+1
Share 49ersWebzone