LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Brandon Kaufman-WR-Eastern Washington

5th-6th Round

6'4", 215.

Here's a guy that has managed to fly under the radar. Big WR, anywhere from 6'4" to 6'5" depending on who you believe. Absolutely dominated the competition, although mind you it was lower level. Had a whole bunch of 150+ yard receiving games, has good speed, is somewhat raw, questions about his ability to separate but has very good hands. What will drop him in the draft is the lower level of competition and some injury issues he's had in the past but he is extremely intriguing.

Kaufman is an underrated prospect for sure. Watched him quite a bit as im pretty much local.

The injurys arent really an issue, he missed to 2011 season due to surgery, but he had a great season this year. Im pretty sure he set the FCS receiving record this year.

I figured he would be staying in school another year since he would have been the only target left and would have had the opportunity to up his draft stock, but with Padron entering, it makes sense for him not to stick around i guess, although adams showed alot promise this season. I had left him out of previous mocks because i figured he would be returning, and hadnt seen that he had declared, Looks like that news came out on the 8th-9th. I like Aaron Mellette alot, but Kaufman would be a nice alternative. There are some rough gems at WR that will be had in the later rounds.

In addition to what you said about him, He is great at getting the ball at its highest point, shows great focus, ball control, and has strong hands, and he knows how to use his size. He has decent straight line speed once he gets going, but he is pretty slow off the LOS. Hes strong, not great with YAC unless hit in full stride, since once he breaks down his route he doesnt have the burst to get going again, but he is strong and generally got a couple extra yards by powering his way forward. Most of his yardage came down the sidelines. Not really a great route runner.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jan 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM ]
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Kaufman is an underrated prospect for sure. Watched him quite a bit as im pretty much local.

The injurys arent really an issue, he missed to 2011 season due to surgery, but he had a great season this year. Im pretty sure he set the FCS receiving record this year.

I figured he would be staying in school another year since he would have been the only target left and would have had the opportunity to up his draft stock, but with Padron entering, it makes sense for him not to stick around i guess, although adams showed alot promise this season. I had left him out of previous mocks because i figured he would be returning, and hadnt seen that he had declared, Looks like that news came out on the 8th-9th. I like Aaron Mellette alot, but Kaufman would be a nice alternative. There are some rough gems at WR that will be had in the later rounds.

In addition to what you said about him, He is great at getting the ball at its highest point, shows great focus, ball control, and has strong hands, and he knows how to use his size. He has decent straight line speed once he gets going, but he is pretty slow off the LOS. Hes strong, not great with YAC unless hit in full stride, since once he breaks down his route he doesnt have the burst to get going again, but he is strong and generally got a couple extra yards by powering his way forward. Most of his yardage came down the sidelines. Not really a great route runner.

He's definitely raw in that regard and one of the biggest knocks against him is his quickness and burst off the line, but he looks like a very good guy to have in the red-zone and someone that could be developed. I'm hoping the 49ers pick 2 WR's in the draft and I'd be happy with this guy being one of them, there's a lot to work with.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's definitely raw in that regard and one of the biggest knocks against him is his quickness and burst off the line, but he looks like a very good guy to have in the red-zone and someone that could be developed. I'm hoping the 49ers pick 2 WR's in the draft and I'd be happy with this guy being one of them, there's a lot to work with.

I completely agree with this. I'd like to see them take one early, maybe in the 2nd or 3rd, and then take a big red zone target later in the 5-7.
Originally posted by Butter:

I completely agree with this. I'd like to see them take one early, maybe in the 2nd or 3rd, and then take a big red zone target later in the 5-7.

2nd and 3rd is too early IMO. This draft is deep with developmental WR's with decent upside and we have other areas that i think should be addressed in the early rounds as the talent drop off from there is signifigant.
2nd and 3rd is too early IMO. This draft is deep with developmental WR's with decent upside and we have other areas that i think should be addressed in the early rounds as the talent drop off from there is signifigant.

I was talking about a guy like Patton or Swope in the 3rd, someone who is more ready to be an instant contributor, along with a developmental guy in the later rounds.

I was talking about a guy like Patton or Swope in the 3rd, someone who is more ready to be an instant contributor, along with a developmental guy in the later rounds.

I would go for more of a Mellette/Kaufman in the 4th at the earliest, and a Tasker in the fifth at the earliest.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
But he's Caucasian....
Tall white guy, slow off the line, so... Kris Durham?

For real tho, this guy sounds intriguing as a later round target. Been following all these prospects you started threads on in here. Right on Phoenix
Share 49ersWebzone