Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 636 users in the forums

The acquisition that wasn't

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
Id rather see Alex raise that Trophy in Feb than Manning.
How sweet will that be?! He deserves it!

We all would like to see that for Smity ...BUT we will always walk on eggs shells when he's behind center
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Do not think that staying in the AFC was not a big part of his choice. He knows all the defenses. Would not have to relearn them.

Whilst you may well be right, one of the greatest qb's ever should not have been driven by this.

Ego and dollars.

I dunno. If had had 15 years of knowledge of defenses and all the habits of the players that are in those systems, I'd be reluctant to give it up. The margins between winning and losing are small and that kind of intel impacts a QB tremendously. If I'm one of the greatest QBs to ever play, I may want to try and retain the use of that info so that my last few years are less likely to hit the dumps and impact the way I am remembered.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
We all would like to see that for Smity ...BUT we will always walk on eggs shells when he's behind center

i would have a heart attack , if he were on our team, everytime manning would get hit. I remember feeling that way about montana at the end of his career as well as steve young. when I get that feeling about our quarterback, I know its time for them to retire
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Do not think that staying in the AFC was not a big part of his choice. He knows all the defenses. Would not have to relearn them.

Whilst you may well be right, one of the greatest qb's ever should not have been driven by this.

Ego and dollars.

I dunno. If had had 15 years of knowledge of defenses and all the habits of the players that are in those systems, I'd be reluctant to give it up. The margins between winning and losing are small and that kind of intel impacts a QB tremendously. If I'm one of the greatest QBs to ever play, I may want to try and retain the use of that info so that my last few years are less likely to hit the dumps and impact the way I am remembered.

You mean (as one of the greatest etc) a couple more Superbowls wouldnt have attracted you just a little bit.

Oh, come on, you know you want one really.

But no, for PM it ended up as being all about money.

Imo.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
We all would like to see that for Smity ...BUT we will always walk on eggs shells when he's behind center

Stay on your toes! If it was easy, everyone would be Champs. idk thats just how i think.

Lets Go Alex!!!!
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
We all would like to see that for Smity ...BUT we will always walk on eggs shells when he's behind center

Stay on your toes! If it was easy, everyone would be Champs. idk thats just how i think.

Lets Go Alex!!!!
of course it's hard but some players you have confidence in..like PWillis or Drew Brees/Tom Brady (from a QB POV)

With Alex..after the snap. it's like ok..what the heck is going to happen right now
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
of course it's hard but some players you have confidence in..like PWillis or Drew Brees/Tom Brady (from a QB POV)

With Alex..after the snap. it's like ok..what the heck is going to happen right now

I know what you mean.

But last year I just kept waiting for him to throw the game-losing interceptions and get benched, but it never happened. With a full off-season to practice fundamentals, get chemistry with the new receivers, and learn more and more of the playbook, I have no doubt he could throw for at least 500 more yds and fix most of the 3rd down/redzone issues. He doesn't need to be Drew Brees with our defense and run game, but he does need to keep drives going by executing on those important 3rd downs and redzone chances. .
A good point, cc, and one I acknowledged early on , but really forgot about as you thot it thru. We ALL would have been holding our breaths about peyton's neck, and how in the world the broncs decided to risk that much money....wow, like you say, you hold your breath every snap. Obviously, none of us wish Peyton ill, but as a physician, I would never have recommended to him that he is ok to play. Sure, I haven't seen the MRIs, wasn't there for the surgeries, but this is risky, and worse, it is his NECK, not ankle, knee, shoulder or arm. His neck. Big gamble and one I personally would never have taken(w/ 13 knee surgeries, and same # of back surgeries). It just isn't worth it, whether he makes it the next 2 yrs or not. He is adding to chances that as he gets older, and not a lot older that his life is going to be ugly with pain, disability, etc. I understand the desire to play pro ball at the highest level, and how hard it is on the greats to hang it up. Here, tho, this is just throwing caution to the wind, and turning a blind eye to how he may have to spend the rest of his life. Risk/reward ratio is just not worth it. If the guy were broke and had to have the money to live...well, that would be easier to understand. Not the case here. And SB? Wow, Denver sure seems like a poor choice for that to happen. But that's why they play the game.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Only in the first year. If Manning survives this year, the contract calls for $40 million guarantee in 2013 and 2014.

Incorrect, his first year is basically guaranteed (of course, it's just the first year). If he is healthy after that year, he is technically "guaranteed" 40 million in 2013, and 2014, but there is a provision in the contract that protects the Broncos against injuries against his neck. So if he tears his ACL, the Broncos are on the hook, but that's an injury that could happen to anyone. And the last two years are only guaranteed after passing physicals.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55762/brandt-assessing-peyton-manning's-deal
[ Edited by dhp318 on May 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM ]
Originally posted by dhp318:
Incorrect, his first year is basically guaranteed (of course, it's just the first year). If he is healthy after that year, he is technically "guaranteed" 40 million in 2013, and 2014, but there is a provision in the contract that protects the Broncos against injuries against his neck. So if he tears his ACL, the Broncos are on the hook, but that's an injury that could happen to anyone. And the last two years are only guaranteed after passing physicals.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55762/brandt-assessing-peyton-manning's-deal

I don't see that's much different than what I wrote. Basically the Broncos have protection in case Manning's neck doesn't hold, but they pretty much guaranteed $58 million for this and the next two years.
$58 million for a QB that is one hit away from being out of the league - a league which features hyper-quick over-sized outside linebackers who are paid to hit the QB. I think that's just tempting fate. I can easily imagine this blowing up in the Bronco's faces.

Alex Smith, on the other hand, is a tough cookie who has shown that he can take hits and get back up over and over. Say what you want about his production up to this point. You can count on Smith to get up and continue playing. And, I have a feeling that he's going to change a lot of minds this year regarding his abilities.
Originally posted by fastforward:
I don't see that's much different than what I wrote. Basically the Broncos have protection in case Manning's neck doesn't hold, but they pretty much guaranteed $58 million for this and the next two years.

That's very different, because the Broncos have protection against Peyton's neck not holding up. And since his neck is just about 95% of the concern surrounding his ability to stay healthy for the next few years, seems to me like that's a huge stipulation.
no way manning makes it the whole year withought getting his head ripped off.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
no way manning makes it the whole year withought getting his head ripped off.

It's a risk I am glad that we are not taking. What happens if Manning gets sacked often behind our OL? Think he's gonna quietly accept that? Nope. He would start ripping into OL for missed blocks and receivers for dropped passes. Then what? Boom... there goes the happy family that we have built.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Do not think that staying in the AFC was not a big part of his choice. He knows all the defenses. Would not have to relearn them.

Whilst you may well be right, one of the greatest qb's ever should not have been driven by this.

Ego and dollars.

I dunno. If had had 15 years of knowledge of defenses and all the habits of the players that are in those systems, I'd be reluctant to give it up. The margins between winning and losing are small and that kind of intel impacts a QB tremendously. If I'm one of the greatest QBs to ever play, I may want to try and retain the use of that info so that my last few years are less likely to hit the dumps and impact the way I am remembered.

You mean (as one of the greatest etc) a couple more Superbowls wouldnt have attracted you just a little bit.

Oh, come on, you know you want one really.

But no, for PM it ended up as being all about money.

Imo.

PM is ghey.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone