LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

The acquisition that wasn't

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Look what happened to the Colts when Peyton went down, they hit the basement. When Brady went down Johnny Castle played himself into a multi-million dollar deal and the Pats didn't miss a beat. If the guy is healthy he can carry a team on his back. Was the move to acquire him worth it? I think so. It's a move Eddie D. would've made. The goal is the SB and Peyton would've provided a more direct line to that goal. I look for Alex to break out this year with a much more diversified offense.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

And unfortunatly thats the way he will look after hard sack #1 or #2
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
He said no to us, we were one of the final three because there was interest on our part
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
C'mon bro you can't be serious. They were heavily pursuing him. He turned us down not the other way around lol. It was barely two months ago have you forgot already?

Just because they watched him throw does not equal 'Heavily pursued' Quit making s**t up. They also did it to leverage against Alex for not signing fast enough.
Originally posted by kronik:
C'mon bro you can't be serious. They were heavily pursuing him. He turned us down not the other way around lol. It was barely two months ago have you forgot already?

Just because they watched him throw does not equal 'Heavily pursued' Quit making s**t up. They also did it to leverage against Alex for not signing fast enough.

Oh they did more than just watch him throw lol. Everything I've stated in the last 2 pages is well documented. Not making anything up.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Could have legit star QB instead we're stuck with a mediocre one.
Originally posted by 49erSooner:
Plain and simple ,he wanted too much $$ and wanted too much control of the O, Harbaugh and Roman run this b***h and no one else period....

GO

Oh so we turned Peyton down? This whole time I had it backwards...

I kinda think we did, by standing firm on Manning having to change to our version of the West Coast offense. It wasn't a match. Denver had already demonstrated the flexibility to change their entire offense for Tebow, and expressed a willingness to take major input from Peyton.
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by 49erSooner:
Plain and simple ,he wanted too much $$ and wanted too much control of the O, Harbaugh and Roman run this b***h and no one else period....

GO

Oh so we turned Peyton down? This whole time I had it backwards...

I kinda think we did, by standing firm on Manning having to change to our version of the West Coast offense. It wasn't a match. Denver had already demonstrated the flexibility to change their entire offense for Tebow, and expressed a willingness to take major input from Peyton.

So why would we risk losing our starting QB if we were standing firm and if it wasn't such a match?
So why would we risk losing our starting QB if we were standing firm and if it wasn't such a match?

We didn't think it was a big risk.

I seriously doubt we offered the same guaranteed money Denver did. I'm willing to bet that's what it came down to.

Denver was desperate, we were not.

Maybe offensive control played a small part, but guaranteed money trumped all. This was Peyton's last shot at a big contract, he wanted the most guaranteed money he could get.
Originally posted by DVDA:
This is the "we didn't get him so this is why we are better off without him" thread. If we had signed him it would be the "we finally have an elite qb and we're better because of it" thread. Peyton alone makes any team a contender until he is proven unable to play due to his health. We'll find out if he is worth the gamble later on but to write him off now is a bit premature.
This lol

51 sacks.
Ultimately, Peyton ended up elswhere, where payroll for an entire team was virtuallty cut by 1/4, all of which went to the QB. You don't have to be a genius to figure out what that does to the other 21 starting positions salarywise, and God help the backups...if they can afford any decent ones. I don't know which way the wind blew as to who declined whom. But I do know how painstakingly Baalke and Coach go over the hires and fires, to make sure we have an equatable distribution of the fixed amount of money all teams are allowed to spend. It will be difficult for anyone to convince me that B&H would suddenly throw caution to the wind, not to mention 25% of the cap money to one guy ....at the expsense of the rest of the team...whatever that may have been.

I don't doubt Coach told Peyton this is a Harbaugh team, not a Peyton team. I also don't doubt that went down poorly with Peyton. The wicked salary disparity and all the problems that would have brought upon us , plus the obvious question of whose team would this be...Peyton's or Coach Harbaugh's...was enough for B& H to be soured on the Peyton acquisition. ;

So maybe Peyton turned us down or vice versa...in my book it makes no difference. But no way in heck was Coach giving up the reins to Peyton, nor was Baalke going to allow Peyton's salary demands to put a dagger in the heart of our well machined salary cap. Like I said at the beginning, this was an acquisition that wasn't . Just how it went down we can only speculate...but unquestionably, we are way better off than had we acquired Peyton. And i reiterate: it would have been coaching and F.O. negligence to not have at least had a look at Peyton's wish list. I believe Coach and GM took a peek...and then took a hike. Keeping our #1 D and #1 ST together, and filling in the missing pieces of OL, WR, plus improving our O & D depth (backups)...to me that was way more important than virtually giving the team to Peyton. IF he could also have played 3 WR positions, scatback, RG, and given us depth at all O and D slots....then it would have been a good idea.

Of course in that scenario, he would have had to take $24 mil over 3 yrs.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM ]
Heavily persued him? Paaalease.. they secrectly considered him and the media blew it up. He honestly wasnt a fit on this team as good as he was u would have to be blind not to see that.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Heavily persued him? Paaalease.. they secrectly considered him and the media blew it up. He honestly wasnt a fit on this team as good as he was u would have to be blind not to see that.

Lulz
Share 49ersWebzone