LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

The acquisition that wasn't

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DVDA:
This is the "we didn't get him so this is why we are better off without him" thread. If we had signed him it would be the "we finally have an elite qb and we're better because of it" thread. Peyton alone makes any team a contender until he is proven unable to play due to his health. We'll find out if he is worth the gamble later on but to write him off now is a bit premature.
This lol
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
No contract was ever publicized during the process until after he had signed. Just that Denver had more than the other two teams, Niners had the least but a shot at a Lombardi. You are high if you think we weren't going after him

Where did I post that we didn't go after him? No where. My point was it didnt appear we were willing to hand Manning the extreme control and money he wanted, being he would be a high risk. And the boundaries of the offer to Manning from the Broncos were in the news days before he chose Denver, although they were semi false Denver handed out more money then the news original announced. All my point is at one point he was worth 90 million for 5 years, but that point is in the past. Possibly without the neck surgeries i would sway from my opinion. But after all the surgeries he was just to high risk in my opinion.
But like I said thats just my opinion, and its been that way since i heard we were in the running to get him monthes ago.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
No contract was ever publicized during the process until after he had signed. Just that Denver had more than the other two teams, Niners had the least but a shot at a Lombardi. You are high if you think we weren't going after him

Where did I post that we didn't go after him? No where. My point was it didnt appear we were willing to hand Manning the extreme control and money he wanted, being he would be a high risk. And the boundaries of the offer to Manning from the Broncos were in the news days before he chose Denver, although they were semi false Denver handed out more money then the news original announced. All my point is at one point he was worth 90 million for 5 years, but that point is in the past. Possibly without the neck surgeries i would sway from my opinion. But after all the surgeries he was just to high risk in my opinion.
Considering that Alex was flying to Miami and trying to set up a workout in Seattle the final weekend of the Peyton sweepstakes, and we STILL didn't waver. I would say Harbaalke were ready to give up a substantial amount of money to Peyton.
Considering that Alex was flying to Miami and trying to set up a workout in Seattle the final weekend of the Peyton sweepstakes, and we STILL didn't waver. I would say Harbaalke were ready to give up a substantial amount of money to Peyton.

Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. If anything they were hoping the potential shot at a super bowl would buy him, along with whatever we could afford. But had we signed him we would be thinned out at some other positions.
Plain and simple ,he wanted too much $$ and wanted too much control of the O, Harbaugh and Roman run this b***h and no one else period....

GO
I would've taken Manning... Until he showed he doesn't have the heart

You would sign a 90 million dollar QB with a glass neck?

You call this a glass neck?

Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
You call this a glass neck?

Originally posted by 49erSooner:
Plain and simple ,he wanted too much $$ and wanted too much control of the O, Harbaugh and Roman run this b***h and no one else period....

GO

Oh so we turned Peyton down? This whole time I had it backwards...
Originally posted by 49erSooner:

GO

Oh so we turned Peyton down? This whole time I had it backwards...

I'm sure we didnt just say '' nope we hate you and you suck, bye'' but i do think he wanted a little bit more then they were willing to give, dont you? There was not one other team in the NFL that he had a better chance at winning a SB with then us, But when push came to shove i just dont see Harbaugh, Baalke or Roman willing to give him that much Control or Money for that matter, we would have lost way too much if we had..

GO

I think Peyton needs a good amount of control to be successful and he would've been somewhat of a subordinate with the Niners.

He had control in Indy, because Dungy and Moore blended into the background, which allowed Peyton to be the alfa-male that he is. He has control again with John Fox (and some dude named McCoy who is the offensive coordinator). Also, playing for an older "favourite uncle-type" coach facilitates his need to be "the guy".

When Peyton talked about the teams he considered, he spoke of the Niners and said something along the lines of, "Yeah I thought about playing for Harbaugh (not Coach Harbaugh)." But when he spoke of the Broncos, he referred to John Fox as Coach Fox.

We definitely went after him, but he chose to go where there is less offensive structure, allowing Peyton to just "do his thing".
C'mon bro you can't be serious. They were heavily pursuing him. He turned us down not the other way around lol. It was barely two months ago have you forgot already?

Oh no I remember, but I really don't remember an offer set forward to Manning from us. Denvers offer was well publicized, once Elway was willing to overpay and hand over control of the offense to Manning it seemed the light for Harbaalke came on and said yeah hes not worth that kind of sacrifice. But thats just my opinion.

We certainly went after Manning, but the team never offered him a contract. Furthermore, there is no way Harbaugh would have given control of the team to Manning, and he reportedly told Manning that. Also, Baalke would never bankrupt the team in order to get one player... not even Manning. If Manning had agreed to come to the 49ers for a reasonable amount of money, and allowed Harbaugh to coach him, then they would have taken him. The 49ers offered Manning a real chance at the Super Bowl; the Broncos offered him a lot of money. Manning made his choice. IMO, we are a better team (and I stress the word) without him.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
I think Peyton needs a good amount of control to be successful and he would've been somewhat of a subordinate with the Niners.

He had control in Indy, because Dungy and Moore blended into the background, which allowed Peyton to be the alfa-male that he is. He has control again with John Fox (and some dude named McCoy who is the offensive coordinator). Also, playing for an older "favourite uncle-type" coach facilitates his need to be "the guy".

When Peyton talked about the teams he considered, he spoke of the Niners and said something along the lines of, "Yeah I thought about playing for Harbaugh (not Coach Harbaugh)." But when he spoke of the Broncos, he referred to John Fox as Coach Fox.

We definitely went after him, but he chose to go where there is less offensive structure, allowing Peyton to just "do his thing".

THIS

GO
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
C'mon bro you can't be serious. They were heavily pursuing him. He turned us down not the other way around lol. It was barely two months ago have you forgot already?

Oh no I remember, but I really don't remember an offer set forward to Manning from us. Denvers offer was well publicized, once Elway was willing to overpay and hand over control of the offense to Manning it seemed the light for Harbaalke came on and said yeah hes not worth that kind of sacrifice. But thats just my opinion.

We certainly went after Manning, but the team never offered him a contract. Furthermore, there is no way Harbaugh would have given control of the team to Manning, and he reportedly told Manning that. Also, Baalke would never bankrupt the team in order to get one player... not even Manning. If Manning had agreed to come to the 49ers for a reasonable amount of money, and allowed Harbaugh to coach him, then they would have taken him. The 49ers offered Manning a real chance at the Super Bowl; the Broncos offered him a lot of money. Manning made his choice. IMO, we are a better team (and I stress the word) without him.

I agree especially in the long run of things.

GO
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:

That is the point I'm trying to make. Peyton made the choice, not us. If Harbaalke had it their way, Peyton would be in red and gold. We offered him a shot at a championship, he came out and said that it was too much pressure. But the Niners were the ones who got dumped on prom night, not manning. And the fact that through the whole process we were willing to let our FA starting QB enter contract talks with another team (Miami) tells me that in THEIR opinion Manning was better for this team.
Share 49ersWebzone